Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last season, we saw that with some teams we could break them down with wing play others with more direct play channeling in through the middle and others simply on account of outstanding individual efforts.

As we have yet to sign any players, let's just use the players we have to establish an idea of what our team will line up as in the coming season.

------------------------ Van Der Sar --------------------------

--- Gazza ------------ Rio -------- Vidic ----------- Heinze --

-------------------- Sheasy/Smith/Fletcher -------------------

---- Ronaldo ------------ Scholes --------------- Park/Giggs -

---------------------- Rooney -----------------------------------
---------------------------------- Ruud/Saha -------------------

Now personally, seeing the kind of damage Ronaldo has been heaping upon the World Cup defenses, I would like to see him have a bit more of a free role. Which could mean we could revert to a defense where Scholes tucks a little more out to the right and the left winger pulls farther back into the central midfield almost like 3 across the middle of the park.

Ronaldo as undoubtably talent as he is, I think he could be a incredible player given that license to roam a little more, kinda of like the role that Rooney played last season.

Now with a couple of signings imminent, and likewise departures on the cards lets have a look at who will come and go and how we will line up differently

Arrivals:-
1. Defensive/Central Midfielder - Javier Mascherano, Mahammdou Diarra, Michael Carrick
2. Striker - Fernando Torres

Departures:-
1. Ruud Van Nistelrooy

These are the most likely ofcourse we won't sign all three DM/CMs however we could sign up to two of them. Torres would likely come in if indeed Ruud does leave. Assuming that this happens this would be how our line up would look like.

---------------------- Van Der Sar ------------------------

--- Gazza --------- Rio -------- Vidic -------- Heinze ----

----------------------- Mascherano ------------------------

---- Ronaldo ------ Scholes/Carrick ------ Park/Giggs ---

-------------------------- Rooney --------------------------
--------------------------- Torres ---------------------------

This is a incredibly strong line up IMO. Lots of youth in Mascherano, Carrick, etc. Also an abundance of experience Van Der Sar, Rio, Giggs,etc. I think this could well be the perfect balance. If they can click then we could be a unstoppable force both domestically and on the continent.

I have gone with the Vidic at the back rather than Brown simply because I think that the Rio and Vidic partnership is going to be the stuff of legends. Brown IMO will be a successor to Gary Neville if he can improve his crossing and he if he can fend of young Phil Bardsley.

We have a superb second string, Foster in goal(on WC duty with England), Brown, Bardsley, Evra, Pique, McShane, etc.

In midfield we got the likes of Richardson, David & Ritchie Jones, as well as Ole, etc

Upfront we have Giuseppe Rossi and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Frazier Campbell pushing Rooney, Torres(if he comes), Ruud(if he stays), Saha.

So the formation is done, for the old line up, we have to look for the defensive midfielder (Diarra, Sheasy, Smith, Mascherano) whoever it might be to looking for Scholes to be an outlet when we can't get to the byline and get a cross in. Scholes is an incredible player, he hasn't had the best of luck but has now had a good 6-8 months to prepare himself for the upcoming seasons and I've got an inkling he could yet turn on the style to halt the Russian parade.

Rooney and Ronaldo hopefully will be looking to create things. I have high hopes for Ronaldo, I really think that this coming season can be his huge break thru year. I think he has a lot in store for us all.

The wonderful thing about our strikers are they are incredibly versatile, both Rooney and Torres can score from distance, with either foot. They are both fast, skillful, though I think Torres would beat Rooney in the air anyday. Torres has a good turn on him and can sell almost any defender. Rooney is quite simply put a powerhouse.

I am really looking forward to see who we bring in, all the other top teams in England have brought in some personal (Liverpool - Bellamy, Chelsea - Ballack, Sheva, Kalou, stolen Mikel, Arsenal - Rosicky, Spurs - Berbatov) Now it's not cause I'm desperate for us to simply buy any Tom, d**k or Harry, rather take the extra bit of time and sign a gem than make a rash buy and get a flop. Hopefully, our hesitancy in the market suggesting more careful thought than some prior years.

Here's to a good summer in the market and hopefully a even better season.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I agree with the team you proposed, but to be honest I can't see how some people can put Vidic ahead of Brown. Aside from his injury problems, which seem to have cleared up somewhat over the past season or so, Wes's form has been consistently good. Though we know Wes can play right-back, there's no question that he's more effective as a centre-back.

We definitely need a defensive midfielder, at the very, very least. None of O'Shea, Smith, nor Fletcher can be considered top class defensive midfielders. As much as people say Smith can, he's a striker by trade, and that's his skill set. He has the attitude, not the skills. O'Shea's too lazy to play in the middle of the park, and Fletcher isn't aggressive enough to be our ball-winner there.

Rossi and Pique need some first team action so their progress isn't halted, that's for sure. David Jones looks like he's also ready for some, considering his performances out on loan. I'm not so sure about Foster being a suitable backup, since the most he's played is Championship level.

Let's face the facts regarding Solskjaer too. He's had more than a year out with injury, and he won't ever be the same player he was before. He's what, 33 now? He's not worth considering as viable backup for the first team anymore. Good to have him for his experience which he can pass on to the younger player, though.

The fact that other teams have done some summer business allows United to go for the people they want to go for now. Question is, will Chelsea go for whoever we want, and will we even be going for the right people? SAF's judgment regarding players has been relatively on and off in recent seasons.

Like I said, though, one thing is for sure: we need a top quality defensive midfielder. That should be our #1 priority this summer. Anything else should come after that problem is resolved.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
^^ Fair does to the guy who made this thread because he predictions and suggested signings were pretty freaking spot on!

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Only Carrick came.
Yeah but I meant he suggested getting Mascherano and Torres and that would have been magnificent! He also predicted that Scholes would come back with a bang, Ronaldo would have a take-off season, and Vidic would come good. Not bad!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Who would've guessed Torres and Mascherano would end up at Liverpool?

O'Shea and Smith being considered for a regular spot in midfield helps me to appreciate today's squad though I must say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts