Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who will be the next captain when gary neville, ryan gigs and edwin van der saar retire........ my guess is rio ferdinand because when he is given the armband he does his job and gives commands out to the team and make sure there playing properly and on there markers

but i thought it would be intresting to see what everyone else thinks...:confused:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would have to say i agree with you in Rio being the next captain, but i think Vidic would be a better choice as he is more of a leader than Rio is, yes Rio does the job well but i think Vidic would give us the same attitude as captain we had in Roy Keane.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
For the England friendly game against Switzerland Beckham is supposedly captain (100th cap etc etc) and rumour has it Rio is to be permanent England captain !!

So I assume it would be logical for him to lead United too :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Think we have a thread on this but.....
I think Rio should be captain for sure.
If he wasnt playing Id also have confidence in Hargreaves, Vidic or Rooney doing a great job.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
well...after Ryan and Gary will retire..my guess is that..Rio will take the armband...and Rooney will be the vice captain.....we'll se in time..

·
Registered
309 Posts
I feel Vidic or as an outside bet Hargreaves . Vidic is a natural leader and as a fearless defender he gets the best out of others especially Ferdinand. I like Rio but believe he is too relaxed a character to inspire and cajole other players. Hargreaves from the games ive seen him appears also to be a strong character who makes those crowd pleasing tackles a la Keano in his prime.

As far as rooney or Tevez are concerned both are leaders in their own way but i don't believe a captain should be a forward. Managers almost always prefer a defender/midfielder who can read the game and survey what's going on around them far easier than a striker can. The experiment with Robbie Keane for Ireland is an example of how distracted a striker can become in trying to lead the team to the detriment of his performances in front of goal.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Fergaiste said:
I feel Vidic or as an outside bet Hargreaves . Vidic is a natural leader and as a fearless defender he gets the best out of others especially Ferdinand. I like Rio but believe he is too relaxed a character to inspire and cajole other players. Hargreaves from the games ive seen him appears also to be a strong character who makes those crowd pleasing tackles a la Keano in his prime.

As far as rooney or Tevez are concerned both are leaders in their own way but i don't believe a captain should be a forward. Managers almost always prefer a defender/midfielder who can read the game and survey what's going on around them far easier than a striker can. The experiment with Robbie Keane for Ireland is an example of how distracted a striker can become in trying to lead the team to the detriment of his performances in front of goal.
Great post Fergus. I agree with everything apart from the bit about Rio.
I went for Vidic or Hargreaves as well for an outside bet. They would be immense......but back to Rio. I think he just gets better and better. He is cutting out the mistakes in his game.

His lazy manner is his style of play but he gets the best of the centre forwards week in-week out. He has been cajoling his teammates, always giving out to Edwin lol and dishing out a few bollockings and stares a la Keano..... He can be a crowd pleaser with some last ditch tackles and he takes no shit either (remember how he brushed Torres off) would be one of numerous examples.

Rio is now such a vital player and if rumours are true he could be the next England captain as well.
Some people still have the hump with Rio over various issues (contract negotiations, missed drugs test, off the field antics) To be fair he seems a bit of a lad and doesnt do himself any favours sometimes but he can still be an inspirational captain and I for one look forward to seeing him life the Premiership, Fa cup and Champions League on numerous occasions. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Great post Fergus. I agree with everything apart from the bit about Rio.
I went for Vidic or Hargreaves as well for an outside bet. They would be immense......but back to Rio. I think he just gets better and better. He is cutting out the mistakes in his game.

His lazy manner is his style of play but he gets the best of the centre forwards week in-week out. He has been cajoling his teammates, always giving out to Edwin lol and dishing out a few bollockings and stares a la Keano..... He can be a crowd pleaser with some last ditch tackles and he takes no shit either (remember how he brushed Torres off) would be one of numerous examples.

Rio is now such a vital player and if rumours are true he could be the next England captain as well.
Some people still have the hump with Rio over various issues (contract negotiations, missed drugs test, off the field antics) To be fair he seems a bit of a lad and doesnt do himself any favours sometimes but he can still be an inspirational captain and I for one look forward to seeing him life the Premiership, Fa cup and Champions League on numerous occasions. :)

Fair enough cheers Jazz. Yes I take you your point that Rio has improved immensely in terms of his concentration and his perceived lack of aggression to his game. H always had great ability in terms of paul mcgrath like elegance on the ball with pace to burn but seemed to lack that bit of devil to be considered truly world class. Now he has at his peak he has become the complete player but Vidic, as the perfect foil, motivated that development in Rio's game as much as anybody.
Therefore i would plump for Vida who for example if he had been playing against Bolton last November i am certain we would not have lost the game regardlesss of whether Rio was playing or not (which he was). I think he has more of a presence about him to keep things tight in order to win the ugly games that prospective champions need to win. Rio was also at fault I felt for the 2 goals we conceded against West ham and still strikes me as one who can believe his own publicity at times which feeds this casual caricature

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
rio obviously.......SAF has said thet he wud make an england player as captain of united and rio is the perfect candidate....others will be rooney and hargreaves..........

N

·
0 Posts
heh, i dot think who being the captain would make too much of a difference anyway....i mean like you wouldn't be tempted to talk more if u were the captain...

·
Registered
309 Posts
akash_reds said:
rio obviously.......SAF has said thet he wud make an england player as captain of united and rio is the perfect candidate....others will be rooney and hargreaves..........
you are entitled to your opinion but have you noted my comments from earlier:confused:

rio reminds me of Paul McGrath in the 80's.As cultured football players go there is no one better. However McGrath needed a streetwise hardman partner like Kevin moran to get the best out of him.Ditto Ferdinand and vidic. Rio still suffers lapses in concentration eg the west ham game and I cant belive he would be focusing on other player's performances as captains are supposed to do, when he finds itt difficult to focus on his own positional sense as an example.

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
The new Captain

When Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs move on Who you think should be the new captain

Rio Ferdinand
Nemanja Vidic
Anderson
Wayne Rooney
Carlos Tevez
Owen Hargreaves

You choose

1 - 20 of 87 Posts