Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This present championship is the sweetest, it was the hardest won and I am delighted.

Next season is going to be even tougher. The odds on 3 in a row are quite high I would imagine.

Those of you with a gambling bent should get off to the bookies and find some odds and maybe splash some notes?

Fergie will have his work cut out next season, teams will be on to us with a vengeance. Liverpool do not want to to equalise their record with our own treble championship win. Arsenal were humiliated by us last season and will want to exact revenge. Chelski are all fired up to do us in next year. If they have another failure next season it could prove the straw that broke the donkey's back.

Ronaldo is already a marked man, it will be worse next year. Some players have to prove themselves all over again like possibly Saha, and Nani has a point to prove. Lets hope we have many less injuries than we did this season, which makes our win all the more remarkable.

Man City will want to be top Manchester dogs again, no doubt about that and newbie teams will try and prove something against us. Bogey teams like Bolton, West Ham and boro should be put to the sword as clinically as we can.

Fergie will already have his mind on next season - you can count on it. He wants the next one like nothing else. It will almost certainly be his priority next season.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We did three in a row between 99, 2000, and 2001.

I think we'll be stronger next season. I want to write Arsenal off, but I fell for that mistake this time a year ago. Chelsea will hit us hard next year. Unless theres a change of manager at Anfield, they are no threat, and City only play two games per season, both against us,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah we've already done it once, 4 in a row though.....

Nani doesn't have a point to prove, people need to get off his back already, he's young and has had one season, and he hasn't exactly been a huge failure, I'm just not sure what people were expecting, him to be like Ronaldo straight away? Kinda laughable.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think he's been better than Ronaldo was in his first year. Nani is too imature at the moment though (predicitable) and this is where he should improve, also on his shooting, he rarely does, but when he does its either spectacular, or ends up somewhere near KFC on Chester Road.

Maze, we haven't won four in a row. No-one has, as far as I am aware. Not in England anyway.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Red Devil said:
Adam, made a slight amendment to the first post.

not in the Prem they haven't ;)
Correctomundos. Huddersfield never played in the Prem, and thats their only three league titles, ever.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ADAM_85 said:
I think he's been better than Ronaldo was in his first year. Nani is too imature at the moment though (predicitable) and this is where he should improve, also on his shooting, he rarely does, but when he does its either spectacular, or ends up somewhere near KFC on Chester Road.

Maze, we haven't won four in a row. No-one has, as far as I am aware. Not in England anyway.
I'm fully aware of that, I said it as in 'we've won it 3 times, 4 on the other hand....'. Maybe I should have been clearer, but I thought people would understand. :eek:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fair doo's.

Anyway; gotta win the third first. Which I can see being this season coming. Chelsea will spend big this summer, and they'll hope they can retain their top players. Roumors of Drogba wanting to go are circulating the net. Lamps has signed a new contract, and JT won't leave. Thats their core. Cech will stay too, no matter what his bored agent says. Thats who they build around. We will still be the entertainers. Arsenal may spend this summer, I think they will, and need too. Espeically if Hleb leaves too. Flamini is a great loss to them, but as I said above, only a fool would write them off (me a year ago) and they were storming through the league until Fletcher silenced them in the league cup, and they;ve not been the same since.

Main threats then:
Chelsea & Arsenal. Liverpool are also rans. I enjoy saying that, even if I don't truely beleive it. Torres has just taken over Ruud's record, and can only get better, a great shame he didn't choose a club where he could win things a year ago, and was whisked away by the "Culture" of Liverpool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wouldn't shock me if Torres didn't have as good a second season, in the past he'd score many one season, and then be rather patchy the next.

·
Registered
130 Posts
From what I've seen of him, he doesn't do that badly in the scoring charts, his totals may be lower in his past two seasons that those before that, but thats mainly due to his lack of European games.

The guys been excellent. However, like Ronaldo, and Ruud before that, and many other strikers, he is now a 'marked' man, and the second season is alot tougher than the first, as Reading have just found out. I doubt this will phase him, and I expect to see him near the top of the charts again.

·
Registered
854 Posts
it's gonna be us or chelsea, I don't think there is a prayer that either Arsenal or Liverpool will be there. If pool got 2 class wingers they may have a go but us and chelsea have the best squads by far.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
i wouldnt be suprised. yes, its getting tough, but no only at the top of the table, but the mid and bottom as well. look at the relegation battle. it was decided oin goal difference. plus, newcastle and tottenham are sure to improve alot next season, dont forget you have everton, aston villa, and blackburn.

also, we lost 5 games this season. mancity(2), bolton, westham and chelsea. and if sven stays at mancity, i reckon mancity will be a force too.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Ferguson: We`re Destined To Get Better

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3555917,00.html

Sir Alex Ferguson believes his vibrant young side are on the brink of becoming Old Trafford legends.

The Manchester United manager has his sights set on completing a glorious double after winning his 10th Premier League title.

He is now looking forward to the challenge of facing Chelsea in the Champions League final in Moscow on May 21.

After 22 years in charge, Ferguson remains energised and wants his side to emulate the class of 1999 when they achieved an astonishing last-gasp victory against Bayern Munich in Barcelona to win the treble.

He said: "If we win the European Cup I think you would have to put this group of players right at the very top of those I have worked with.

"It is an emerging team. Normally, the average age of teams who win the European Cup is about 29.

"We have a lot of young players. (Wayne) Rooney, (Cristiano) Ronaldo, (Carlos) Tevez, Anderson, Nani, (Darren) Fletcher.

"Anderson could play in front of a million people and not be bothered one bit. It is that Brazil mentality.

"They are all young players and are getting better.

"But you also need experienced players like Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Edwin van der Sar.

"That kind of experience allows young players to develop. The future is bright and we are all looking forward to Moscow."

United finished the campaign two points ahead of Chelsea, who had to settle for a draw against Bolton.

However Ferguson expects a stronger challenge next season and dismissed as "stupid" the notion that United could again dominate English football the way they did in the 1990s.

During that glorious era they won the title five times in 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997 and 1999.

He said: "I expect Arsenal to be very strong and Liverpool to buy a lot of players.

"I do not know what Chelsea will do as they already have a strong squad.

"Everton are continuing to progress under David Moyes and Tottenham will have a much bigger say, I am sure.

"I cannot say we are going to dominate again as it would be stupid to do that."

United sealed the title thanks to a 2-0 victory at Wigan with Ronaldo (penalty) and Giggs, on a record-equalling 758th appearance for the club, getting the goals.

Ferguson then got a message from Gary Megson following his mischievous remark that Bolton were out celebrating during the week after securing their top-flight status.

"I had a little nibble at them to keep their mind alert," Ferguson told MUTV.

"I had a text from Gary Megson saying 'well done, your team talk was brilliant!'

"I also have to give great credit to Wigan. They gave us a real tough game.

"But I think we have proved we are the best team in the country.

"We have expressed ourselves in an entertaining way, we try to play in an exciting way."

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
next year will be loaded with anticipation because we all want the title that ties with the dippers so badly it hurts .

chelsea will have to take more risks in the next year and i see arse being bigger threat . if eduardo injury hadnt happened they would have won it comfortably this year imho . flamini and hleb going is not the blow pires and bergkamp was and i see walcott having a stunning season .

what made me so proud of our team this year is that they stuck to utd principles of attacking football . who could watch chelsea week in week out playing anti football ?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
with 2 quality signings in the summer {striker and right back} i reckon we could get 4 in a row,this team is very much in its infancy and there will be 2 or 3 years further improvment before it peaks thats in my assessment .
i enjoy a gamble but only twice have i bet utd to win the league first was 07 because we were 6/1 and i made £4oo profit and this year and i got £135 profit,if we get a decent striker i will lump it on us for next season and get another profit.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Red Devil said:
The time to bet is before we land that striker who is going to shorten the odds.

yes its true the odds will shorten slightly {it will be around the evens mark anyway} but i will be much more confident if i can see we actually get a clinical finisher that this team needs to become a legendary utd team .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts