Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've won 06-07, 07-08, and we're in a very good position to make it 3 in a row of league titles this season. We won the Champions League last season, and we're also in a position to make the final again this season. So lets say we accomplish all that, we get 3 PL titles in a row, we become the first team ever to win back to back CL titles, plus the Club World Cup and Carling Cup this season. What would we expect from United next season?

I see two things to determine what we're possible of doing next season. First is our own hunger. As brilliant as Sir Alex is at keeping us going after winning the CL and PL last season, how would we continue to have that hunger if we win the CL and PL again this season? We've seen some of our play this season. We've rarely been spectacular this season, I mean we've pulled out wins and performed well, but we don't have the same urgency as last season. So if we win, what would we be like next season? I almost want us to not win anything next season so we get that urgency and hunger back.

The second thing I see that affects next season is, obviously, the other teams. Specifically the two other top three, plus Liverpool. :D Chelsea are looking for a permanent manager, and if they get a good one, Ancelotti, Rijkaard, etc., they'll be looking good already. That's not including the new players they're looking to get and revamp the team with. Arsenal are getting better and better too, plus if they keep healthy, they're a threat like they were in 07-08. I could live with either of them winning next season's PL, but not Liverpool. I mean, Gerrard is 28, so he's in his prime, so he's not going to get any better, so you got to figure it's more up to Torres than Gerrard.

So what would you accept? 4 in a row would be nice assuming we win this season, but I really wouldn't mind not winning, so long as Liverpool don't win. Next season would be nice to see our team perform without the pressure of having to win anything on them, despite how unrealistic that might be. Just play for fun, like football is supposed to be.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have to know what we are getting this season before we know what to expect for the next.
Why is that? Regardless of whether or not we win the CL or PL this season, we're still one of the best teams in Europe. Expectations don't change just because you lose a trophy. Chelsea, despite the fact they're not going to win the PL this season, are still looking forward to next season. Why shouldn't we? Whether or not we win a trophy doesn't dictate whether or not we're a good team, so why should it determine what our goals are for next season?

As long as we play some good football, even if we don't win anything, I'll be happy. :)
I'm fine with that. Just so long as Liverpool don't win next season I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
We have to know what we are getting this season before we know what to expect for the next.
:specool:

and next season expectations depends how better balance in the squad will be achieved

Red Force Rising has already started here

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/21712-balance.html
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/21039-lack-midfield-enforcer-hampering-us.html
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/transfer-talk/21841-ronaldo-real-dream-over.html
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/transfer-talk/19374-fergie-admires-benzema.html

Re : Griff SA about
The second thing I see that affects next season is, obviously, the other teams. Specifically the two other top three, plus Liverpool. Chelsea are looking for a permanent manager, and if they get a good one, Ancelotti, Rijkaard, etc., they'll be looking good already. That's not including the new players they're looking to get and revamp the team with. Arsenal are getting better and better too, plus if they keep healthy, they're a threat like they were in 07-08. I could live with either of them winning next season's PL, but not Liverpool. I mean, Gerrard is 28, so he's in his prime, so he's not going to get any better, so you got to figure it's more up to Torres than Gerrard
-Liverpool : minus Liverpool ,because they want sell Alonso . Whithout him and because of the ,,best " Rafa in gaffes ,the maximum their level achieved is this season level . Nothing more.
They have to sell before to sign .
Re: If Chelsea get Rijkard , that means another ,,minus" for Chelsea .
Rijkard is a one of the worst coaches worked for some giants .
Also Ancelotti will stay in Milan
The best choice for Chelsea is Hidink ,but seems that he leaves. Because they are using limited amount of top players , next season must probably they will be exhausted. Also Lampard ,Terry,Drogba ,Anelka,Balak are not young players

·
23,699 Posts
Why is that? Regardless of whether or not we win the CL or PL this season, we're still one of the best teams in Europe. Expectations don't change just because you lose a trophy. Chelsea, despite the fact they're not going to win the PL this season, are still looking forward to next season. Why shouldn't we? Whether or not we win a trophy doesn't dictate whether or not we're a good team, so why should it determine what our goals are for next season?
1. It is odd to be thinking about the next session when you are coming to the climax of the current session. :p

2. On one hand it is regressive and counterproductive to set a lower or similar expectation; on the other, it would be deemed unrealistic and a pie in the sky if we set too lofty an ambition. So if we do win the quadruple this season, it would then be logical and more convincing to aim for the quintuple the next (some of us were too hopeful for a quintuple this season even though it would still have not been impossible at this juncture (!) - think the penalty not given against Everton. :eek: :frown:)

3. Or should we just be rhetorical about it by boldly proclaiming ultra success for every next season? That would actually be much easier and convenient to do.

4. Besides, we also need to assess the strengths of our squads for next season against our main rivals'. Some fair amount of personnel changes are expected but unknown at this point in time.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
More competition. I want a fight. I want the FA Cup. However Prem & CL I'd like to see a challenge.

I certainly expect Liverpool to do something special next year. I mean this has been their best season in yonks.

Unless the Spanish waiter decides to offload Alonso & Lucas in favour of Gareth Barry. Knowing Benitez it'll happen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When Chelski won back to back Prems I thought barren times were ahead but hey what do I know ? At the very least I expect us to play decent attractive football based on a solid defence.Next year who knows what will happen.We have the core of a very good team indeed but there is a feeling of transition about the side at the moment and we are too dependent on Ronaldo.Much will depend on this summers transfer activity where the Blue side of town will have a considerable impact.I expect to see a very distorted market and some spoiling bids from the City money men. The Big Four will stay the Big Four but how that will ultimately shake down remains to be seen.
So what I expect is things to be bloody close-------Should be a great season. :first:

·
Registered
773 Posts

I'm fine with that. Just so long as Liverpool don't win next season I'm fine with that.
You know what, I believe Benitez will once again change his player next season.....

I wanted 6+5 rule to be done as quick as it could, when that happen...I wanted to see how Arsenal and Liverpool and other team line up and performance...

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'd rather wait until this season is over before we start to talk about next season. We've got massive games coming up so I'd rather focus on them.

Saying that though, all that I ask before any season starts is that we go into the season trying as hard as we can to do the best we are able to do that season and to try our best to play the exciting, attacking football we as United fans want to see.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
if united can match liverpools league title record this year, id want united to win the title next season just to be one better than the dippers, id hope for the fa cup next year, people talk it down now days but its the best domestic league cup in the world, some of the greatest players have lifted and most players like rooney probley grew up as a youngester dreaming of lifting the cup at wembley...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.