Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the thing... I'm thinking that SAF bought two wingers with Anderson and Nani. How that fits in with what we've got now, well, here are my thoughts:

1. This team was outstanding at creating chances... but we needed a Van Nistlerooy-clone up front as the target man. Saha always looked like he was floppin' around and I think he's not strong enough. Smith WAS/IS strong enough, but he is not greedy and passed the ball when he should have just shot. Thus, Huntelaar looks like the perfect match for us -- good in the air and a great anticipator. We MUST have this type of striker for Champions League. You cannot win it all without one.

2. I think Neville is through. When I saw that injury, I thought it was a compound fracture. When they said sprain, I was very surprised. But we need a new right-back as Neville is getting on in years.

3. Rooney's season was under-rated. I feel he should have gotten more praise than he did. He DID have an awful spell in Jan-Feb., but the rest of the season was magical. He's an under-rated creator too. He needs a garbage-man up fron to play off of him.

4. Giggs & Scholesy had great years. BUT, we'll be lucky if we get thru the next season with both not being hurt for an extended period of time. It was painfully obvious that without those two, we could not *easily* create chances. I do not want next season to rest on the fragile constitution of those two.

5. VDS has at least two more seasons left. His positioning is faultless. Yess, he is not Petr Czech, but he may be the smartest keeper in the league.

6. Heinze/Evra offer fantastic options at LB because they are so different. Critical for CL.

7. I think SAF will be with us until 70. He just sees too much potential in this team and he was so excited/happy/energized by the challenges this season.

Based on above, we have bought, Anderson, Hargreaves and Nani. These purchases addressed some needs and certainly were looking towards the future. However, watching the Anderson highlights, I feel like he should be playing on the left wing, much like Ronaldinho does. I know that technically, Ronaldinho plays off the striker, but when Barca is really rolling, both him and Messi are on the wings. Also, Anderson does not look to be a distributor, but more of a creator. So, not a real replacement for Scholes. Nani looks like he is playing on the right, which is Ronaldo's spot (yes, I know he was equally deadly on the left, but he is a better creator on the right). Won't comment on Hargreaves, because his role is obvious.

So, we did not really address our most glaring need in CL -- a RVN-like striker with great anticipation. This is crucial for CL where you sometimes have to grind out wins and chances sometimes come few and far between.

For RB, I assume Wes and Pique will provide the cover we need. I think Brown is better in the air than Neville and plays well with Ronaldo, so I support this move.

Therefore, my prediction: Premiership Champions, FA Cup (we'll win it this time) and a quarters exit in CL.

IF we purchase a striker (Huntelaar would be perfect), then we would have a real chance at a finals appearance in CL.

For that to happen (purchasing a striker), we would have to sell Saha and Richardson. Question is: who would take Saha at this point other than for a nominal fee?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tottenham are interested in Louis Saha as we speak. I agree and looking at some football goal round-ups, I think Kerzhakov of Russia would be an ideal striker, as he scores many magical goals as well as being in the right place at the right time. Who knows, maybe even Michael Owen?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hmm...i think there is still tym to get in another stirker...also i hear along witht tht we will get Saviola. I do to agree that huntelaar looks a gr8 striker to hav as a poacher and also alot. Think if we can get torres on his best form then we hav gr8 chance in europe.

I think it will be hard retaining the championship bcz all temas will be going all guns blazing including teams such as liverpool and i think if spurs hit the ground runnign mayb a bit of a contributing factor of how the top foru finishes.

U day Neville is through...tru he is getting oldeer...but i still see him as the un sung hero in our team...when he played we had solid defence as he organsied them and also i think he is another attacive option he has bcz his delivery for a rb is unmatched by most and sets up alot of goals when he allowed to get in...I would lyk to see how he is when he gets bak if he cn still cut it then keep him if not then look at pique or wes like you said.

dnt think the 2 new boiz will play tht much rlee....unless they hav xplosive strts they will b players who will learn off the older ones at this tym... i think CL semi's again

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I do not see the point in speculating about what is beyond my control to achieve. As long as I can say that was an excellent season, anything else I care not.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think it it impossible to predict the cup competitiions as games usually come down to a bit of luck, a mistake, a missed chance or taking a chance. Over 38 games I think we will be on top again especially with the new signings on board. OH is the Roy Keane steel we have been lacking in the middle. He will make us practically unbeatable. The 2 young lads are exciting talents and it will be exciting seeing them develop. I have really high hopes for Anderson. He will be class.

I disagree on Neville. He is our captain and a Red through and through. Though his injury was nasty enough I fully expect him to be back and play at a very high level for years to come. People dont give Nev enough credit but whens he is out its noticeable how much he is missed.
and for Rooney I wouldnt say he was magical this season. Possibly in a few games but I thought he had a poor season by his standards. His touch and control was terrible at times and he just couldnt put away some relatively easy chances. True he battled and fought for the team and no one can fault his desire but I would like to see him step up next season.
The Saviola talk looks promising. Huntelaar and him would do very nicely indeed or even Le Sulk wouldnt be the worst bit of business SAF has done.
Anyway the future looks rosy and as United fans we can have a nice relaxing summer with no worries. :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Red Devil said:
I do not see the point in speculating about what is beyond my control to achieve. As long as I can say that was an excellent season, anything else I care not.
Im just curious as a stat freak why you dont seem too bothered by numbers of trophies and so on. I know you have been a fan for many years and Im just wondering if you know something we dont. I find Im obsessed on trying to catch Liverpools 18 titles. Do these things become less important in time?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Kop it said:
Liverpool will win the Premiership next year if they sign the right players this season.
I think your 3 or 4 players short of winning the premiership, like you say it all depends on who you buy in the summer.

I actually expected Liverpool to challenge this season but it never happend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We need a striker, LM, RM and a back up centre back. We will contend for the title if we get off to a good start. That has let us down over the last few years, we start off shit.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Oh yes, the most important thing to you as a person is YOUR life and your helath, football is secondary. Believe me its true, you may not think so now, United being your life, breath and living room.

I used to go to watch United every game, home and away, friendlies, everywhere. If we lost I had a cob on for a week, until getting up on the Saturday morning to head out once again, full of optimism.

Then I met my wife, got married had my own home and then 3 children. I still got to United but not as regularly and my career in the Army didn't help but it made me realise that, although United is still my team and I am still as passionate and critical, there are more important things in life.

You too will come to realise this as you, and others, get that bit older. United and football are not your life ............................ you will see.

As i typed this I have just watched Spurs 3 - United 5 on MUTV and am now enjoying the CL final from 99. Still, and always will be, a RED .................

·
Registered
211 Posts
Kop it said:
We need a striker, LM, RM and a back up centre back. We will contend for the title if we get off to a good start. That has let us down over the last few years, we start off shit.
That is one big IF. You lost a lot of games you should have won. Your problem this season was you concentrated on CL. And you got the punishment for it. A trophyless season. Personally, i think you need someone who can score you 30 goals a season.

A good example of what is needed to win the league, is United this season. Goals were spread across the team, i think everyone except Neville and VDS scored for us last season. And with our new signings(So far) we can score atleast 100 next season.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Thanks for your views Red Devil. It sure puts things in perspective but till the wife and kids come along Ill remain happily married to Manchester United.
Oh yes that Spurs-United game had some second half. Good memories indeed.
Cheers RD.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jazz 16 said:
I think it it impossible to predict the cup competitiions as games usually come down to a bit of luck, a mistake, a missed chance or taking a chance. Over 38 games I think we will be on top again especially with the new signings on board. OH is the Roy Keane steel we have been lacking in the middle. He will make us practically unbeatable. The 2 young lads are exciting talents and it will be exciting seeing them develop. I have really high hopes for Anderson. He will be class.

I disagree on Neville. He is our captain and a Red through and through. Though his injury was nasty enough I fully expect him to be back and play at a very high level for years to come. People dont give Nev enough credit but whens he is out its noticeable how much he is missed.
and for Rooney I wouldnt say he was magical this season. Possibly in a few games but I thought he had a poor season by his standards. His touch and control was terrible at times and he just couldnt put away some relatively easy chances. True he battled and fought for the team and no one can fault his desire but I would like to see him step up next season.
The Saviola talk looks promising. Huntelaar and him would do very nicely indeed or even Le Sulk wouldnt be the worst bit of business SAF has done.
Anyway the future looks rosy and as United fans we can have a nice relaxing summer with no worries. :)
Neville is/was a great, great contributor over the years. When this last season started, I thought he was too old, and he proved me wrong. I don't necessarily agree that he provides great service, as he often lofts a diagonal ball into the box. I actually prefer Evra, who typically heads to the touchline and cuts the ball back across the goal. Heinze is just bad at service all around.

Anyhow, I agree that without Neville and Ferdinand, the defense is loose because there is no obvious leader. When Ferdinand is in, he tends to keep Brown/Oshea in line. Another thing about Neville: his technique is close to perfect and he studies opponents to understand how to defend them. When Fletcher was in RB, the guy was on pure heart and the gap between a professional defender like Neville and him was embarassing.

One thing about cup competitions... at the end of the day, it's about the matchup. How the teams' styles contrast. Milan is built for CL because they have a bagful of strikers they can play depending on the opponent. We didn't have that this year and we paid for it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, forgot the Rooney bit. Yes, it was an 8-month season and he was very, very good for 6 months. I remember the spell where he had concrete boots and it was painful to watch. It looked like his confidence was blown. But, he came back and bagged 23+ with 13(?) assists (all competitions). If he was anyone else but Rooney, people would be falling all over themselves with praise.

Berbetov got on all the Premiership IX teams, but scored less in the Premiership, and FA Cup. How could you not pick Rooney. Other than Drogba, was there a better forward/striker in the league? The answer is no.

Yes, he can (and will) do better next season, but it was still a very good season.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Neville's best service is a ball on the ground across the box. Yes, he is very good at this. Like I mentioned in another post, not a fan of the diagonal lob.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kop it said:
Liverpool's problems:

1. Aren't imaginitive enough to create chances when you've got a 0-0 dogfight at the 70 minute mark. This is where the Premiership is won.

2. Not convinced about Kuyt. He's not particularly pacey. He's not a great header of the ball. He's not a great ball striker/shooter. He does have good anticipation, but he is very dependent on the service.

3. Reina makes bonehead decisions at times. Too eager to come out.

4. Pennant and M. Gonzalez are not answers, but questions.

5. Depth is an issue.

To mount a challenge on all competitions, they would have to be very active in the transfer market. I still think that the Premiership is a bit of a reach.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with you on the proven pedigree of a Vanistelrooy clone up front, i would like to see him buy Huntelarr as well.

But i can see why he is looking at Berbatov i watched him against chelsea in the FA Cup and you know i could see he had a little more to him than Vanistelrooy had.

The thing was with vanistelrooy he was an excellent target man, but he did need a creative outlook from the team.

When David Beckham was in the side there was a lot more crosses coming in from the right hand side than we get now, with Beckhams accuracy Vanissie used to score alot more with his head. He even admitted that when Beckham left and you could see it in his style of polay when he moaned about ronaldo ineffectual croosing abilities in 2004 campaign.

As soon as the Beckham left the team struggled to emulate that style of play as we had a striker who was a good headerer of the ball and a player who was the best crosser in the world Leaving us for peanuts.:mad:

The team now penetrates from the right hand side with Ronaldo as the main threat, and the ominus talent of Rooney upfront, but they had help from Carrick and Scholes + Giggs this term and it felt like 1999, because goals where coming from everywhere. You could smell something in the air, but the team need moments like that to prepare them for the challenges of next season.

The one thing these new players will want to do is to look at the Trophy room, look at our history and feel priviliged to put that shirt on, we have a great domestic history, but these new players can help create a new chapter in Europe for us.

The team has addapted there play but we still have hang ups in our side, Gary Neville is not as young as he used to be and his commitment to go forward is comendable but he is slow.

Giggs and scholes are getting older but there experience have been more pivitol in this seasons campaign than any before it.

Nani and Anderson will learn new things from Both Scholes and Giggs, as well as adding to the party.

For the first time SAF and Calos Quieroz have had the forsight to invest in the right areas, and it shows his determination to win the Champions league, We have our first Brazilian Samaba Star, So im made up, as both players will give us an extra dimension and aggressive raw power upfront, Looks like SAF and Quieroz both went on Footbal Manager 2007:D

I think what SAF is trying to do is to emulate the Arsenal and Barcelona approach, they have technically gifted players in midfield and in Attack, but what makes them strong is there ability to counter attack at speed, the only players who had that real pace was Giggs in his hayday, Rooney, and Ronaldo.

The aquistion of Nani and Anderson indicate to me that they want extra creativity but want to increase the teams threat chances not just in Attack, but on the Left and Central positions.

As time goes by we might be able to gain a bit more speed and power on GN side if we purchase Micah Richards who does remind me of a young Lilian Thuram, we also have Rossi coming back from a successful loan spell, but he doesnt give us what Vanissie gave us upfront which was the goal machine that he was.

Given time and with the right service i have faith that Rooney will prove to be more of a ruthless finisher upfront, we forget that he is still young plying his trade and like a fine red wine he will get better with age.

But the catch 22 is that you know we bought Nani to keep Cristiano Ronaldo? That is his best friend in portugal, so it was agood thing for him to do that as we all know that Heinze will go and thats Ronaldos best mate at the club.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if man utd get another striker, a right back and uve already got andersonn in the bag. yous will walk the epl, i dont exactly sea chelski buying any quality players, all theyve got is steve sidwell so far. so as things stand, get ready for more title celebrations at the end of next season!

·
Registered
249 Posts
We need a striker only.

For the defence we don`t need more but if we sell hienze then we will have to find a backup for evra on the left, CDs we have 4 rio,vidic,wes & pique for the right we have gary & wes can play on the right.

For the midfield we have carrick as DM & hargreaves can play the same role, scholes as a CM also Owen can play as a CM, Wingers we have giggs & nani on the left with nani can play on the both sides, on the right we have ronaldo (L/R), as an AMC we have anderson & rooney & both can help on both sides.

What we need is a finisher now we have a cover for rooney,giggs,scholes & ronaldo & we have good side bench which was lacking of quality players.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts