Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Football Association today confirmed no action will be taken against Manchester United or Ben Foster following the use of an iPod before yesterday's Carling Cup Final victory over Tottenham at Wembley, writes James Olley.

United keeper Foster studied videos of Spurs players taking spot-kicks including Jamie O'Hara, who then missed as Sir Alex Ferguson's side secured a 4-1 penalty win after 120 goalless minutes.

Tottenham's last penalty shoot-out came in March 2008 against PSV Eindhoven, when O'Hara scored as they went out of the UEFA Cup with a 6-5 defeat.

He chose to aim down the same side yesterday only for Foster to save his shot, but the FA insist using the technology is legal despite doubts being raised today. An FA spokesman said: "What happened was not against the rules so we will not be investigating further."

There are no restrictions on additional information being passed to players, although TV monitors have been removed from dugouts and video technology remains unavailable to a match referee.

But there is nothing within the laws of the game that prohibits players receiving advice in terms of tactics and research during half time, full time or the breaks in extra time.

Foster said: “Just before the shoot-out I was looking at an iPod with goalkeeping coach Eric Steele and it contained images of Tottenham's players taking penalties.

“They told me for Jamie O'Hara that I should stand up and be strong and he would probably go the way he did.”

FIFA are unlikely to contradict the FA's stance, paving the way for clubs to follow the example.
It is the first time video technology has given a keeper information while on the pitch.

Germany's Jens Lehmann kept notes in his sock on Argentina's penalty takers during the 2006 World Cup.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I would like to ask whoever raised the doubts, "What's wrong with it?"

It's no different than managers/coaches instructing players using pieces of paper.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to ask whoever raised the doubts, "What's wrong with it?"

It's no different than managers/coaches instructing players using pieces of paper.
yeah - but using technology was maybe the contoversial part - cos ref's cant use so why would players be allowed too...if that makes sense

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
When I first started reading the title I thought Foster had got bored during the game and started listening to his ipod!!! :laugh:

Coaches study penalty-takers before cup games all the time. I'm not really sure why this is even news worthy tbh. :confused:

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I first started reading the title I thought Foster had got bored during the game and started listening to his ipod!!! :laugh:

Coaches study penalty-takers before cup games all the time. I'm not really sure why this is even news worthy tbh. :confused:
yeah - but he apperently studied it after the final whistle i think...

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
why would there have been any action taken anyway, its not like the FA have an exclusive sponsorship with Creative tht bans all players from usin rival mp3's:cool:

·
Registered
573 Posts
i dont see this as a problem in al honesty i thin k its allowed when teams get to a cup final they usually practice penalties in training and u often hear about managers looking at their opposition penalties so the fact that Foster as done this off his own back is clever and i dont see anything wrong atall with it, even if he watched the Ipod after the full time whistle.

who was the person to find out Foster was doing this as im guessing he would have done it in the dressing room and if he did do it on the pitch who knows what he was watching he may have been catching up on Heroes or something so who knows???

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've not watched the game yet on TV so I don't really know whats going on :confused:

From what I've asumed Foster was watching Spurs players taking penalties on an ipod, on the pitch just before the penalties were taken?

Dressing rooms have screens in them these days, do people think they watch cartoons on them or something :rolleyes: I can't see that Ben has done anything wrong. If he'd have watched videos of the Spurs players in there no one would have given it a second thought.

Apologies for me sounding dumb but sitting 5 rows from the back at Wembley it would have been hard to see Foster holding an ipod, the players looked small enough from up there :p

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
All managers include technology in their team talk, so this makes no sense when saying that its illegal or something.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
The reason it could be illegal is the Laws are there to create a level playing field. I realize mp3 players are cheap and seems everyone has them, but imagine if it were in one of the first rounds against a tiny outfit.

Not saying I think it should be, but that is the argument.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
The reason it could be illegal is the Laws are there to create a level playing field. I realize mp3 players are cheap and seems everyone has them, but imagine if it were in one of the first rounds against a tiny outfit.

Not saying I think it should be, but that is the argument.
Doubtful it will be considered illegal. And hopefully, It'll open the way for further technology into the game, dare I say, assisting refs...?:rtfm:

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Yeah, I'm fine with it, just telling why it might be considered illegal. It is like Platini who wants everyone to be equal. The same for everyone. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
This was a joke - Lehman had notes on paper in his sock for the 06 quarterfinals against Argentina.

The real prob was that O'Hara was taking their first pk. Where was Modric? Where was King?

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think the issue is whether he should be allowed to access extra information during match time.

E.g. Look at Tennis they use video & all sorts of tech but during a match a coach can't even speak.

It's a case of once the match begins until it's officially over players shouldn't receive any coaching.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts