Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple of days of sober reflection, it is unfortunate that we didn't beat Inter on Tuesday. We deserved it.

However, I actually prefer the 0-0 result to any other draw scoreline. Had we tied 1-1 (and got the away goal) we might have gone into the second leg lacking the killer instinct to win the game, knowing 0-0 would get us through. I don't know how many times I have seen that scenario backfire.

Now the boys know exactly what they have to do - win the game. And we will. :D

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Thats one way of looking at it. Although a 0-0 scoreline does not guarantee goals. We do need to work hard. Inter will come and park the bus at ot and defend. Only bad things happen when you fail to get away goals. Hopefully we get two or three up by HT but knowing United they we will make us sweat. Maybe a 90th min goal from Oshea ? The score line makes inter look slight faviourates but our players and vidic back make us faviourites to go through.

Just hope we go through. We deserve it tbh.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
After a couple of days of sober reflection, it is unfortunate that we didn't beat Inter on Tuesday. We deserved it.

However, I actually prefer the 0-0 result to any other draw scoreline. Had we tied 1-1 (and got the away goal) we might have gone into the second leg lacking the killer instinct to win the game, knowing 0-0 would get us through. I don't know how many times I have seen that scenario backfire.

took me a while to take in your point, but its a good un:)

remember this stage last season, we drew 1-1 in lyon and didnt perform too well in 2nd leg at OT, although he did win 1-0 in the end. I agree with Futbol too, jose will park the bus at OT and drag it out for as long as possible as his team cant compete with us in an open end to end game.

But I have every confidence we will beat them:fish:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
But I have every confidence we will beat them:fish:
Dont jinx it. Dont be overconfident. :happy

Jose will come with the intention of making this beyond 120 mins. ie pens. His team have got no chance of progressing by scoring in free play.

I say we go for it and put 2 up top with Ronaldo and Park Playing. Scholes and Carrick .Looks like I got my lineup :laugh:

·
Registered
238 Posts
yh if you are going to this game it will be a good one with attacking football from utd and i axpect a rollercoster of emotion throgh the night

but there is a little feeling in me that we will regret the chances we didnt take in milan

all the omans are aggaist us and im just praying jose wont be dancing down the touchline after a late equiliser

cmon utd!!

·
23,699 Posts
If I am Jose, I may also choose to attack like no tomorrow, knowing well that any away goal would be a fatal blow since we did not score at San Siro and that we will be naturally and comparatively more anxious than them when defending.

I am always more inclined to believe that the more positive team will go through, more often than not, especially when the first leg was scoreless. Afterall, barring penalty kicks, both have to score to go through anyway.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think i would rather lose the away game 2-1 than draw 0-0 ,there ain't a lot of difference between the two and if you lost the first game you will go all out for the victory yet the dreaded 0-0 puts that false confidence in your head when you still need to defeat your opponents to progress.
i honestly can't see inter beating utd but i would rather lose to them than be knocked out on an away goal.

·
Banned
107 Posts

wouldnt of been able to complain with a 0-1/ 0-2 win tho, which we rightly deserved with our first half performance.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
i think it's a bit strechy your theory...

cos at the end of the day we HAVE to win and an italian team can sit back and defend to get a draw to take them through....

they will be doing what they do best, especially after jose said that they cant match our pace and speed...

and don't forget that they have scored 6 goals in the last 3 away CL games

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
0-0 is a scoreline that makes me very nervous.

We know we have to win the game but if Inter keep it tight and don't concede in the 1st half then we'll have to become more attack minded in the 2nd half. We could leave ourselves more open at the back as we chase the winner and a goal for Inter means we suddenly need 2.

I pray we score in the 1st half because then even if Inter do score, unless it's right at the end of the game obviously, we have time to respond or we may be able to push on and get a 2nd anyway.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I have to echo what futbol said.

not scoring an away goal is a risky affair and we had chances to do so.

If we score one goal at home, it will be heart-wrecking stuff till the end of the game ala Barcelona last season.

I understand what you're saying and you might have a point, but this way we have to score two goals against Inter to be very safe and that is a tall order.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I like the optimism I'll give you that, but I'm not sure I completely agree with your theory.

I think the 0-0 is a dodgy scoreline really, because if they score first they will just shut up shop and they are good at that.

However I think we perform at our best in the atmosphere of a must win European night at Old Trafford, and I think that will inspire us to a win.

·
Registered
773 Posts
remember when inter beat us in the friendly at old trafford....3-2 man...they beat us...but at that time we didn't reach our form yet...Ronaldo said he's confident in winning...Let's hope that we'll win....

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
cos at the end of the day we HAVE to win and an italian team can sit back and defend to get a draw to take them through....
:confused:
Then it will go to kicks. And after watching Inter's first half, that might not be a bad thing. :mf_tongue:

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
if you look at our previous exits from this competition it was usually down to the fact we couldnt score an away goal.
i fear the worst because usually when you let good teams off the hook they come back and bite you

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
if you look at our previous exits from this competition it was usually down to the fact we couldnt score an away goal.
i fear the worst because usually when you let good teams off the hook they come back and bite you
but hey - they let us off the hook - they squandered the home advantage ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
One thing to note, we are not invincible even at home. AC milan anyone? No matter what people said, i still think Inter has the advantage with the 0-0 scoreline. Again, i dont trust Jose because i think he knows us too well and knows what to expect of us at OT. Regardless what the scoreline is,united has always go all out what more for a champions league match. Roma 7-1 thumping being one of the good example that we keep on going so i dont think a 0-0 scoreline make any difference tbh.For now, I fear for the worst and hope for the best. An early goal for us is all it takes and i hope we can get that.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
One thing to note, we are not invincible even at home. AC milan anyone? .
Youm ean the one where we won 3-2 with a shattered defence? ;)

If the fans can get up for it, a la Barca last year I'm confident we'll win.

It all depends on the forst goal, when it comes, and how positive WE are.

If we attack, get the 1st goal we can hammer them.
If they take the lead...we're in trouble.
If its still 0-0 at HT, we'll be in for a nervous second half.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts