Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team player, played out of position, he's a support striker, he's only 22, he sacrifices his game for the team etc are some of the excuses we make to justify the recent poor performances of Wayne Rooney.

Now that we've signed Berbatov, we'll see him play in his natural position. He will be 23 this season. He's more mature, has a targetman to play off, has a world class midfield to provide the ammunition, has a world class manager to guide him and is being payed silly money to play for the best team in Europe.

No more excuses Wayne, time to realize your potential and show us what you are capable of

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Absolutely and whole-heartedly agreed!

http://manutd-talk.blogspot.com/2008/07/rooney-will-this-be-his-season.html

Capello and Sir Alex were saying the same thing over the summer. Wayne hasn't been playing in his best position, he has been playing with his back to the goal, that he's been asked to play out wide and that he hasn't had a tall centre forward strike partner to play with.

Well we just got one of the best tall centre forwards in the world.

I would rank Dimitar Berbatov right up there with the best in the world and now Wayne Rooney has to start scoring some goals.

I'll be pleased as punch if Berba can form an understanding like he did with Robbie keane.

Now, we have a target man upfront, who is strong enough to hold up the ball and bring Rooney into play. Wayne can finally use his speed and ball skills to run TOWARDS goal and create havoc or hopefully score.

I'm really pleased at this signing and it's now time for Wayne Rooney to fulfill his potential.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you look at Rooney's seasons then last was probably his worst despite still doing well. In his first 2 years he played off Ruud and in 06/07 he mostly played off Saha. Now we will see his top form again and he should form a great partnership with Berbatov.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just hope this also takes some of the pressure off Wayne.
Its hard to turn it around with everyones on your case as well so hopefully when all eyes are on Berba Wayne shines.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just another point. Everyone is talking about Rooney's poor form this season but he's only played 2 games after coming back from illness. All seems a bit harsh to me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
this season will be his and with the coming of Berbatov that will be a fact of motivation for him playing along with berba this season...and i'm thinking of a 30+ goals for wayne...

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red Warrior said:
this season will be his and with the coming of Berbatov that will be a fact of motivation for him playing along with berba this season...and i'm thinking of a 30+ goals for wayne...
30+ goals! When we first signed him, the general expectation was that 30+ goals would be a walk in the park for boy wonder. But now, it seems ever so distant for the Roonster. Now that we have Berbatov, i sincerely hope that we'll get the old Rooney back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
red devil jeff said:
30+ goals! When we first signed him, the general expectation was that 30+ goals would be a walk in the park for boy wonder. But now, it seems ever so distant for the Roonster. Now that we have Berbatov, i sincerely hope that we'll get the old Rooney back.
Whoever thought an 18 year old who had a record of a goal every five games when he signed and plays as a second striker, would score 30+ goals easily must have been mad.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Rooney is very good i like his way of playing what we needed was a finisher well i think berba will fill the gap and the real question is are we still going to play 4 4 2 then Berba is a sub

i would like to see all our 3 striker in a match im damm sure we wont miss too many goal defenders will be shocked seeing 3world class striker waiting for ball that is

if rooney miss berba is here if these 2 miss our tevez is here
well if all of them play this will create a havoc to the adverse team

but Rooney he create game he is a key man

·
Banned
292 Posts
red devil jeff said:
Team player, played out of position, he's a support striker, he's only 22, he sacrifices his game for the team etc are some of the excuses we make to justify the recent poor performances of Wayne Rooney.

Now that we've signed Berbatov, we'll see him play in his natural position. He will be 23 this season. He's more mature, has a targetman to play off, has a world class midfield to provide the ammunition, has a world class manager to guide him and is being payed silly money to play for the best team in Europe.

No more excuses Wayne, time to realize your potential and show us what you are capable of
I started a thread about 3 days ago with an almost indentical title, it was merged into the other Rooney thread so I expect the mods to do the same again with this one.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
What about Tevez??? I can see Wayne being dropped at some point this season (I'm one of Rooney's biggest fans!) as Carlos is on fire at the moment!!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
mather23 said:
Just another point. Everyone is talking about Rooney's poor form this season but he's only played 2 games after coming back from illness. All seems a bit harsh to me.
absolutely spot on , i cannot get over the stick wazza is getting the whole team come squad have been ***** so far with the exception of tevez and a couple of defenders.
if you want to remember what he has done for us so far just watch "he goes by the name of wayne rooney"next time its on mutv and will shut everyone up.
as usual the media have whipped this up and united fans have started to believe them.
rooney will be back with no excuses he is not a boy to go hiding come wazza prove all the doubters wrong:)

·
Registered
366 Posts
stretty said:
absolutely spot on , i cannot get over the stick wazza is getting the whole team come squad have been ***** so far with the exception of tevez and a couple of defenders.
if you want to remember what he has done for us so far just watch "he goes by the name of wayne rooney"next time its on mutv and will shut everyone up.
as usual the media have whipped this up and united fans have started to believe them.
rooney will be back with no excuses he is not a boy to go hiding come wazza prove all the doubters wrong:)
Whats going on with all these Rooney doubters .
Between Wayne and Carlos they have worked their socks off for the good of the team . I couldn't care less who scores the goals once someone does .
The reason Cristiano did so well last season was because Wayne and Carlos were pulling defenders all over the pitch giving him all the space he got to go on and score all those goals .
Can i ask if any of those people who thinks it time Rooney got his so called act together have actually ever play a bit of ball themselves . I'd say a large proportion haven't .
Anybody with half a football brain can see the outstanding contribution that Wayne, and yes everyone else on the team , makes to the side .
Leave the lad alone and just get behind him . United have enough people who love nothing more than to talk our players down .

·
Registered
47 Posts
stretty said:
I actually watched that the other day with my mate who'd been criticising Rooney and he did shut up pretty quickly!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
rooney playing off berba is the best thing for him as we know.. he wont get 25+ goals but playing with berba will surely increase his goals and with tevez there as well the goals will come.. cant wait until we face liverscum

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I'm hoping he'll have a new lease of life with Berba... but what of Tevez, he doesn't deserve to be on the bench.. Fergie will have to juggle it all about carefully... I can see Rooney being dropped.. coming off the bench might do him good in a way, get the fire back! i really wanna see Rooney having a great season!!

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mather23 said:
Whoever thought an 18 year old who had a record of a goal every five games when he signed and plays as a second striker, would score 30+ goals easily must have been mad.

Well maybe not straight away, but such was his potential atleast i thought he would go on and get 30+ goals one season. Hell Ronaldo, a winger scored 42!. Rooney still has lots of time to improve. Its just that, at the moment 30+ goals looks too high a target for Wayne.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
The reason Ronaldo got so many goals last season was because unlike rooney, ronaldo took his chances and scored many screamers and is possibly the worlds best player. Quit acting like its all to do with rooney and tevez doing alot of running. Ronaldo runs alot, but in offensive areas and rooney and tevez had many chances they did not take. Ronaldo took his, end of story.

pz

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
when rooney scored the goal for everton against arsenal that bought him to everyones attention it was from midfield . He will never be what most people see a striker to be . Someone else here said they saw him more as a successor to scholes and i agree . When scholes burst on the scene he was quite prolific scorer and was touted as a striker yet he settled on a position playing midfield yet in the hole behind the strikers . wayne has 77 goals in just over 190 appearances 18 of which were as sub many of which were when recovering from major injury and his hold up play and assist work must come into play as well .

he has gone through a stage of missing goals he knows he should score but that will change . as original poster hopes wayne will come good and berbas arrival hopefully takes some of expectation off him .

Thing is wayne is made of the right stuff in the same way as scholes giggs ole robbo etc were made of before him .

That is why we love the boy and always will ---- i see tevez in the same way never giving less than everything to a game , and as a foot note tevez wont ever be a 30 goal a season striker either .

Let us not forget ruud scored goals but didnt do much else and the years he played for us were our leanest . why was that ? i think we work best when other sides cannot close out the one man and stop us . thru 90s goals came from all over the pitch and that seems the case now .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts