Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Michael Owen being a "free Agent" in the summer i thought Newcastle would've atleast try to recoup some cash from him regardlees how little but it seems that they have & the real reason why Michael Owen hasn't moved on is because he isn't wanted by anyone due to his ridiculous wage demands & that he isn't really any good.

I've known this for years & always said that he's probably the most over-rated player the Premiership has ever seen.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Owen in his prime was awesome but he isnt in his prime now is he.

Due to the Age he broke through Owen has had the equvelent of a full pro career already .

Is he worth the wages and the hassle anymore no I dont think he is . To be totally honest I think he would be stupid to walk away from Newcastle .

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Owen's game was built on speed and since his ops, he's never been the same.

He took quite long to adjust his game and oly recently started banging in some goals.

His salary must be 100k / week or maybe even more and I don't think anyone's willing to take a risk on him at that wage level.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
think he still has something to offer and is intelligent to adapt his game, while the pace has gone he is still quick over a few paces and for a striker thats sometimes all you need to beat your man, injuries have undoubtedly ruined his career in the last few years but he still has something to offer- he needs to lower his wage demands though, he is pricing himself out of a big move.....if a big club bought him as back up on a decent deal and he came on or his form forced his way into the team he would be a bargain.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
at the end of the day, he has a pretty good goal record, even this season when he plays. it's more his wage demands than being overrated. he's obviously only overrated by himself. if united came along and said "we'll have you on a free if you go down to £60,000 a week" could he say no?

·
Banned
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Newcastle offered him a new contract but he has to take a £40K a week pay cut. His response was "I'll think about it", but it looks like he's gonna have to take it as no-one else has come in for him.!?!

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Owen isn't overrated. When he was at Liverfool he was a great striker and scored quite a afew goals.

Ruined his career going to real though (listen up Ronny)

Right now he isnt in great shape especially considerin the bad luck he has with injuries

I think some club will snap him up though if Newcastle dont offer him a good contract

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think you're being a bit harsh, and perhaps even biased.

Sure, his injury problems have meant that he isn't the player he used to be. And his wages are too high for his ability now. But saying he's the most over-rated player the Premiership has ever seen I have to totally disagree with.

Before his injuries, he was a fantastic striker. Quick, skilful, great goalscorer, good in the air considering his height and I would have loved him at Old Trafford during his best days.

But, he has scored 9 Premiership goals this season for a side struggling at the bottom of the table which is a very respectful return to say the least.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
manutd004 said:
I think you're being a bit harsh, and perhaps even biased.

Sure, his injury problems have meant that he isn't the player he used to be. And his wages are too high for his ability now. But saying he's the most over-rated player the Premiership has ever seen I have to totally disagree with.

Before his injuries, he was a fantastic striker. Quick, skilful, great goalscorer, good in the air considering his height and I would have loved him at Old Trafford during his best days.

But, he has scored 9 Premiership goals this season for a side struggling at the bottom of the table which is a very respectful return to say the least.
Agree.

He was a joy to watch back then, when he was at his best.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
tbh a free transfer is a bargin for him or even 5 million for him now! as man ud 004 siad he has 9 prem goals witch is more than most and he is playing for a ***** club

·
Registered
72 Posts
Utd at this moment in time need a quick fix out and out striker, especially with all the games looming. Owen is a proven striker, and yes, has adjusted his technique due to his diminishing speed. However, he is a proven goalscorer. There is no doubt that Campbell and Welbeck have potential, but that talent needs time to develop. If I was Fergie, I'd try and sign Owen on a free and offer him £50k per week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts