Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exodus at south coast club Portsmouth continues as Jermain Defoe follows Lassana Diarra out of the Fratton Park exit in the January transfer window.

Pompey have collected impressive sums for the two departures, if reports are to be believed, as the Hampshire side bagged £20 million for Diarra, while Defoe, the striker they paid Spurs £7.5 million for this time last year, has apparently been sold for £15 million.

Harry Redknapp will now manage and coach Defoe for the third time after working with the England hopeful at West Ham United, Portsmouth, and now Tottenham.

A statement on the club's official website read: "Jermain Defoe makes his return to The Lane tonight - and will be presented to fans before the Carling Cup semi-final with Burnley."

In four years at Spurs Defoe found the net 64 times, in 177 outings.

The Defoe transfer will not be Redknapp's only piece of business in January. Free-agent Stephen Appiah has been training with the north London outfit and, medical pending, could be offered a permanent deal over the next few weeks.

Redknapp has long been an admirer of Appiah, and is alledged to have tried to sign the Ghanaian for Portsmouth, but instead opted for Sulley Muntari.

Spurs have also been linked with: Stewart Downing, Michael Owen (both Daily Mail); Matthew Upson, Shay Given, Craig Bellamy, Jermain Pennant (all Daily Mirror); Lukas Podolski (The Times); and Lee Grant, Steve Finnan (The Express).

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
:D :D :D spurs sold defoe to portsmouth because they hardly played the lad ,now 12 months later they buy him back for TWICE THE PRICE.we all know that redknap wants defoe in his side but it makes spurs look bloody stupid to say the least , whats the bet that they also buy keane back at an extra cost ,the directors at spurs have lost the plot.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
sweet fa said:
:D :D :D spurs sold defoe to portsmouth because they hardly played the lad ,now 12 months later they buy him back for TWICE THE PRICE.we all know that redknap wants defoe in his side but it makes spurs look bloody stupid to say the least , whats the bet that they also buy keane back at an extra cost ,the directors at spurs have lost the plot.
tbh they will buy keane back for half the price if anythings hes been **** for the scousers :D !

good signing for spurs even though it is overpriced

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Great signing for Spurs. Just wonder where Fraizer Campbell fits in now. Would prefer him to be 4th choice here rather than at spurs.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I fear for Pompey know, over recent weeks they seem to of dropped into the relegation battle, only 3 points off the drop zone. They've lost arguably their 2 best players in Diarra and Defoe/ Ironic also how Defoe left Spurs to leave Pompey after being left out so much, Harry must really rate him.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Nemanjaaa said:
I fear for Pompey know, over recent weeks they seem to of dropped into the relegation battle, only 3 points off the drop zone. They've lost arguably their 2 best players in Diarra and Defoe/ Ironic also how Defoe left Spurs to leave Pompey after being left out so much, Harry must really rate him.
yeah interesting to see how the fans take to him. dont think they appreciated the way he handled his exit. member reading an article titled escaping my spurs hell or something.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
What do reckon for frazier campbell now ?

As for Defoe I dont think he is anything to get excited about . I used to rate him but for the last 4 years he hasnt improved he has always stayed at the same level.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Football's a funny old game. :rolleyes:

I never really understood why Defoe didn't get more time on the pitch at Spurs. He just couldn't break up the Keane/Berbatov partnership but now both of them are gone I wonder whether he'll be first choice or behind Bent and/or Pavlyuchenko in the pecking order.

It's not good business from Spurs to buy back a player for more then they sold him for but I think he's a quality Prem striker and from that point of view he's a good signing.

It'll be interesting to see whether they still want Campbell on loan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts