Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that this is a big debating matter already but i have another query to answer..

Recently me and a friend have been arguing about the offside rule which states:

The player must NOT be beyond the last man when the ball is played forward etc etc

This i agree with BUT i say the rule should be:

The player must NOT be beyond the last TWO man when the ball is played forward

This is because the keeper is classed as 1 of the said men.
I think this is right

if the keeper is say 20 yards from his net and a defender is on the goal line (keeper as been up for a corner) and the striker is say 12 yards out and receives a pass he will be given offside by the official even though hes not beyond the last man but he is beyond the last 2? *(still following all this???) i personally think offside should be given my friend on the other hand doesnt he says play should carry on as normal

HELP PLEASE

Z

·
0 Posts
I always thought the rule referred to the last 'defender", not the last
"man". As far as I'm aware the goalkeeper doesn't count as a defender.

I would say the scenario you described would most likely result in a goal
because no offence has been committed, both players are being played
onside by the defender on the goal line.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers but im still not satisfied :eek:

i was always sure the goalkeeper counted but im sure i will find out

Z

·
0 Posts
Damian said:
Cheers but im still not satisfied :eek:

i was always sure the goalkeeper counted but im sure i will find out
I've just found this:

The red number 9 isn't beyond the blue 4 defender but is offside because the goal keeper isn't back. This is one of those rare occasions where goal keeper is out of the goal (e.g. last minute of F.A. Cup final on a corner kick) and can't get back in time but if the attacking team play the ball as they normally would, then it would be offside because the offside rule requires two defenders to be in front the attacker and the goal keeper usually counts as a defender.
http://www.offside-ref.co.uk/laws/11-offside-rule/detailed/

Not sure how reliable it is really, but we've got a couple of refs on the forum who might be able to help.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
FFS, why don't you all just nut up and ask your favorite American referee. ;)

This one is easy, and the player is offside, the goalie counts as a defender. Blade, you lose privilege of calling me your bitch for missing this one. ;)

and Chris, you need to take your referee class again buddy, and not sleep through it this time ;)

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Blade said:
Pfft, see post 5 ;)
Please see post 3.

No wonder you think you win every argument, if you say both yes and no. Nice logic.

P.S. Don't be to worried, I'm sure with all my spelling errors, I will be your bitch yet again, and quicker than I would hope for. :(

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cappy said:
Please see post 3.

No wonder you think you win every argument, if you say both yes and no. Nice logic.

P.S. Don't be to worried, I'm sure with all my spelling errors, I will be your bitch yet again, and quicker than I would hope for. :(
Whats post 3 gotta do with out???

Blade was 1st person to get some evidence posts 2 and 3 are opinions Blades post had some evidence in it so im guessing he wins the "argument" if we can call it that?

Z

·
0 Posts
Cappy said:
Please see post 3.

Post 3 wasn't by me :confused: ;)

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Oh yeah, its offside by the way. Keeper counts. I learned that playing FIFA 06 with my brother when I only had 0 of my original back back 4 left after 3 of them got sent off and the other was injured and thus slow to get back. He was called offside all of the time which caused me to look up the rule.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
That's correct.

You need to have 2 oposing players between you and the goal line.
However, since most of the times, one of those players it the goalkeeper, people get the impression you just need to have one, because they forget about the GK.

There is, nonetheless, an exception to this, in which it doesn't matter how many players you have between you and the goal line, and that's when you're behind the ball line when the pass is made. In that case, you're always considered on side

Z

·
0 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
That's correct.

You need to have 2 oposing players between you and the goal line.
However, since most of the times, one of those players it the goalkeeper, people get the impression you just need to have one, because they forget about the GK.

There is, nonetheless, an exception to this, in which it doesn't matter how many players you have between you and the goal line, and that's when you're behind the ball line when the pass is made. In that case, you're always considered on side
You can't be offside from a throw or if you're in your own half in either.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
-zuco- said:
You can't be offside from a throw or if you're in your own half in either.
don't know about that throw one, but in your own half, that's obvious. the linesman only goes to the half line anyways.

i think i've seen offsides given from throw ins, but in this country of mine, i'm not suprised if it was against the rules...

Z

·
0 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
don't know about that throw one, but in your own half, that's obvious. the linesman only goes to the half line anyways.

i think i've seen offsides given from throw ins, but in this country of mine, i'm not suprised if it was against the rules...
You definitely can't be offside from a throw in. I'll try and find a link.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
ok, then.

but i'm telling you, i've seen more than one beeing given.

like i said, it's the level of refereeing we have over here...

Z

·
0 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
ok, then.

but i'm telling you, i've seen more than one beeing given.

like i said, it's the level of refereeing we have over here...
We've had some shocking refereeing decisions in the Premiership this season too.
There isn't a week goes by without at least one high profile error being pointed out
on Match of the Day or the tabloid newspapers. It kinda makes a mockery of the
whole 'respect' initiative they've got going on at the moment. how can the players
respect the referees decisions when they're making so many errors?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts