Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never been there and would be glad to know your views of the theatre of dreams!
Missed out going with a cousin for yesterday's brum match!
Ahhhhh!!!! gutted!!!!!

:( :mad:

·
Banned
836 Posts
I went to see a game last August for the first time to watch United play Inter in a friendly, it was the just after they came back from the Asia tour and the first time they wore the new kit at Old Trafford, I'd already been there previously (March 2007, September & October 2006) and I've taken the tour but the matches are something you never forget.

Everytime I come to Manchester and Old trafford it's like an addiction, you don't want to leave and you always want to go back again and again. I love it.

The passion I have for United grows all the time and the passion and emotion you get when you're in the stadium is unexplainable.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The Theatre of Dreams is an apt nickname for Old Trafford. It's a fantastic stadium. I've sat in all 4 of the stands and although I prefer sitting in the North stand you get a great view of the action from anywhere in the stadium.

When the place is jumping (the atmosphere during the Champions League semi-final last season was amazing) I can't imagine there being a better place to be.

Just don't spoil your day out by eating any of the food inside the stadium :D

·
Banned
836 Posts
reddwarf said:
Just don't spoil your day out by eating any of the food inside the stadium :D
I tried to, during half time, when we played Inter last August, but I gave up because the queues were too big, so I just sat down in my seat and waited for the second half to begin.
For the biggest club in the world, they don't have the biggest fast food joints inside the stadium, do they?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The atmosphere is something you'll remember for the rest of your life, if you get to one of those games where something magical happens. i.e. the match against blackburn last season I saw Solskjaer score his last goal for the club, same for Cantona then that's a memory you will have forever, I can't comment on the food as I only ever buy a bottle of water when I'm inside the stadium.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you really wanna experience something special try and go to a liverpool, arsenal, chealsea or city game the atmosphere is amazing because of the rivalry between the clubs. OT has to be one of my fav places to be just dont drink to much its a killer gettin to the loo ha ha for women anyway.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
GeordieMancunian said:

I tried to, during half time, when we played Inter last August, but I gave up because the queues were too big, so I just sat down in my seat and waited for the second half to begin.
For the biggest club in the world, they don't have the biggest fast food joints inside the stadium, do they?
It's not worth queueing for a cold hot dog or a dry cheese and onion pie.

When I went to the game v Derby I queued up for a bottle of Bud and and a packet of Tyrells crisps. When I asked for the crisps the guy behind the counter said "Are you sure? They're not very nice." He got told off by his manager :D

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Mate if you've been to Croke Park, OT is even better..........

When you walk out of the tunnel to your seat, the pitch seems half the size as when you do the same in Croke Park.......:eek:

The atmosphere is unbelievable and the chants are a buz to sing,

*note, learn the chants before going, a big help...!!!*

Anyway It's just fantastic, I love it and would go to every match if I could.........:)

And the food isn't too bad, I ate about three hot dogs when I was there, but you can bring your own food and drink aswell............:)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
cathred said:
If you really wanna experience something special try and go to a liverpool, arsenal, chealsea or city game the atmosphere is amazing because of the rivalry between the clubs. OT has to be one of my fav places to be just dont drink to much its a killer gettin to the loo ha ha for women anyway.
Or a United-Sunderland match.........!!!

That was my first match at OT and although the United fans were going absolutely mad, scoring 4 goals to 1, the Sunderland fans never stoppped cheering and singing for the whole game, louder than I've ever seen from away fans at any match in my life............They're crazy...........:):eek:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
GeordieMancunian said:
I went to see a game last August for the first time to watch United play Inter in a friendly, it was the just after they came back from the Asia tour and the first time they wore the new kit at Old Trafford, I'd already been there previously (March 2007, September & October 2006) and I've taken the tour but the matches are something you never forget.

Everytime I come to Manchester and Old trafford it's like an addiction, you don't want to leave and you always want to go back again and again. I love it.

The passion I have for United grows all the time and the passion and emotion you get when you're in the stadium is unexplainable.
u were at that game too.i was there.It was my first visit to England and to Ot.Its like a life-long dream and when i entered,i was elated

·
23,699 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
Mate if you've been to Croke Park, OT is even better..........

When you walk out of the tunnel to your seat, the pitch seems half the size as when you do the same in Croke Park.......:eek:

The atmosphere is unbelievable and the chants are a buz to sing,
*note, learn the chants before going, a big help...!!!*

Anyway It's just fantastic, I love it and would go to every match if I could.........:)

And the food isn't too bad, I ate about three hot dogs when I was there, but you can bring your own food and drink aswell............:)
Mate, really? I have never been to OT but this is what I read today:

The Independent Manchester United Supporters Association today hit back over Sir Alex Ferguson's criticism of the home crowd, whom he accused of failing to get behind the team.

The United manager compared the atmosphere at yesterday's Barclays Premier League win over Birmingham City to a funeral, and urged fans to back the team more vocally.

But the IMUSA's Colin Hendrie has accused Ferguson of "a lack of understanding" of the plight supporters face and believes stewards at Old Trafford come down too hard on fans who stand at moments of excitement.

"I think he could benefit from sitting in the ground," said Hendrie. "You can't stand up to make a noise. If you try to stand up, you've got stewards who are ejecting you, they're taking your season ticket away from you.

"It's almost like a police state in a football ground now and if you do stand up, people will take your arm, put it behind the back of your neck and throw you out of the ground.

"Under those circumstances, what atmosphere does [Ferguson] want? The only atmosphere we've got is one where we're a little bit frightened of losing £1,000 for the season ticket we've paid for."

The noise level in the stadium as United laboured to a 1-0 win over Alex McLeish's strugglers yesterday was non-existent at times, a fact gleefully pointed out by the visiting fans.

Sitting in the directors' box as he completed a two-match touchline ban, the lack of atmosphere was even more noticeable to the United manager.

“The atmosphere inside the ground wasn't very good,†Ferguson said yesterday. “The crowd was dead. It's the quietest I've heard them here. It was like a funeral, it was so quiet. We needed the crowd today.

"It's all right saying the players will make the fans respond, but in some situations, like today, we need them to get behind us. We've played game after game in this period and in these moments we need a lift.â€

Hendrie revealed Ferguson's comments, which came seven years after Roy Keane, the club's former captain, questioned whether “some of the people who come to Old Trafford can spell football, never mind understand itâ€, had not gone down well with his fellow fans.

"A lot of people are pretty upset, because it shows a lack of understanding about what it's like to be a football fan in 2008," he said. "Fergie's going back to the days ten years ago where it was absolutely fantastic, you could stand. But you can't do that now and the football authorities need to make up their minds whether they want to have fans sitting neatly in a row not being able to do anything or if they want an atmosphere in the football grounds again."

Hendrie pointed to the example of United's neighbours Manchester City, where he claims stewards are far more tolerant.

"It's actually not against the law to stand up. It's to do with the terms and conditions on the ticket," he said. "The interpretation of that rule is different at different grounds. For example, at City, they've actually got a singing area.

"Because you're allowed to stand in moments of excitement, what they say at City is, 'If you're standing up singing, you're obviously excited, so carry on singing'. That doesn't happen at Old Trafford."

So which is which? Keano also labelled the fans "prawn sandwich brigade" or something like that in the past.

If I am not wrong, strict crowd control was implemented after some crowd troubles both in and outside of England. The obvious repercussions are killing the atmosphere and dousing the passion of the fans. I do agree, however, what exuberance can we have sitting down at a match? Or when have you seen a rocker sitting down to generate energy to the crowd except when cleverly inserting some slow rock numbers to catch his breath? Yet elsewhere, I have seen other European teams' fans having ball of their life, bopping up and down well till after the match, and beating 3-Lung Park hands down with their amazing stamina. It is a shame yet I can sympathise with the authorities, terribly caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Oops, have I unwittingly started a new thread? Or maybe not. Even 2 similar threads can be combined into one thread, I remember.:)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Stetford end 2nd tier or the k stand (east stand) are the best places to watch a game. Well thats where all the noise is made anyway.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
It's a combination of things that effect the atmosphere.

Yesterday I think hangovers, day trippers and the subdued performance by the players all contributed.

I've been at OT when the oppositions fans have sung things like '2-0 and you still won't sing' and 'Cheerio' as the North stand empties with over 5 minutes to go, which I always find embarassing.

When we got that penalty with 2 minutes to go against Everton most of the people in the ground stood up so there wasn't much the stewards could do in that situation. I've never had problems with the stewards but I have been asked to sit down by people behind me and have often had funny looks (especially in the South stand) if I'm singing/chanting.

S

·
0 Posts
Have to agree with you there RedDwarf.

I've lost count of the number of times i've been told to sit down ( ejected twice so far ) by stewards. Had people behind me shouting " sit down we cant see ", people looking at me like i'm an alien for trying to sing and once had some idiot telling me to shut up as his son was trying to listen to his iPod. :rolleyes:
Add to that people arriving 10 minutes into the game, leaving their seats 10 minutes before half time, returning 10 minutes into the second half and leaving 10-15 minutes before the whistle. Why they bother going at all i dont know !!

Sir Alex Ferguson compared the Old Trafford atmosphere to a "funeral".

Ferguson noticed the lack of voice from the 75,459 crowd after watching the match from the directors' box as part of a two-match touchline ban.

"That was the quietest I have heard the crowd, it was like a funeral," he said.

His comments come seven years after Roy Keane famously dubbed the Old Trafford crowd as the "prawn sandwich brigade".

"The players need the crowd sometimes but the atmosphere inside the ground wasn't good," said the Scot.

It has to be said that unfortunately the atmosphere was 'prawn sandwich' to the very definition

"There are some situations when we need them to get behind us and give us a lift."

Former Manchester United captain Keane made headlines in 2000 when he laid into sections of the Old Trafford crowd, claiming they couldn't "spell 'football', never mind understand it".

He later insisted that he was referring to the crowd in general, not just United's corporate fans.

And Ferguson has complained on previous occasions about the lack of atmosphere at Old Trafford.

To the thread starter....Get yourself to OT mate you'll never forget the experience and Give the food and drink a miss, food is disgusting and overpriced, beer is watered down and again..overpriced.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
and once had some idiot telling me to shut up as his son was trying to listen to his iPod. :rolleyes:
Add to that people arriving 10 minutes into the game, leaving their seats 10 minutes before half time, returning 10 minutes into the second half and leaving 10-15 minutes before the whistle. Why they bother going at all i dont know !!

LMFAO.....:D......

and I know, them people are the most annoying thing in every stadium in the world, they're a joke........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
ive been a good few times now, its a great stadium, atmosphere can be either electric or v poor depending on a number of things; how the games goin, if the away fans start off a little singin war etc

i havent been since the milan game last year which was absolutely amazing an atmosphere i havent seen the like of in my life!! (apart from when ireland beat england at croke park in the rugby!!)

however i was there to see them play wigan a few yrs ago and no atmosphere really at all, to be honest id prefer to be go to a united away game (with the united fans obv), they're brilliant stand up and sing for the whole game!!!

goin to the derby this year and hopin for a great day!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Old Trafford is the theatre for professional football players to fulfil their long-term ambitions & life-long goals. Simply put,Old Trafford is ........'The Theatre Of Dreams!'

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'v never been. I'm dieing to. My dream is when i finish school I'm going on the first flight to England going to OT. I would like nothing better then to sit there and watch united demolish a team while soaking up the atmoshphere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh ok! i'm goin nuts reading ur comments :D
but tickets,are they easy to get? my elder bro(a liverfool supporter) said general sales are damn tough and ST holders are most preffered of course.
Is OT any easier? surely gotta be considering the capacity difference!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts