Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solskjaer and Warren Joyce take charge of Reserves

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=5649111

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will take charge of United's Reserves from the start of the 2008/09 season.

The Norwegian, who has been on the Reds' coaching staff since calling time on his playing career last August, will replace Brian McClair and Jim Ryan, who have been in caretaker charge of the second string for two seasons.

"Ole is doing very well with his coaching, and this will be a progressive step in finalising his coaching badges," said Sir Alex Ferguson. "He has the right character to become a top coach and I am sure he will do that."

Meanwhile Rio Ferdinand feels there is no limit to how far his former team-mate can go in the world of coaching.

"We don’t have any respect for him, we don’t like him. I think he’s a bad guy and he can’t coach," joked the England defender, before adding: "Ole is a fantastic ambassador for football, not just Manchester United.

"He was a top player and I am sure he’ll go on to become a top coach because he has got some great ideas about the game and he is working very hard in his role with the coaching staff. He’s got the right credentials to be a top coach."

Duo to manage young charges

United will have two coaches to guide the Reds' young charges in the Reserves league next season with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Warren Joyce, who joins from Royal Antwerp, teaming up together.

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed the pair will manage United's second string, as well as monitoring the progress of those youngsters farmed out on loan.

"The two of them will combine to manage the players out on loan and the coaching side of things with the Reserves," revealed Sir Alex.

"It's a difficult job to manage in Reserve football nowadays because you don't have a consistent squad of players - it changes every week.

"It's really a slight advancement of youth football in that very few teams play experienced players, it's all young lads that are involved. That's one of the reasons why we started loaning players out three or four years ago in numbers, rather than just one or two.

"Half a dozen go out on loan every season for us and we have to manage that.

"That can be tricky because the players are in different environments and at different levels when they're on loan which are not the Manchester United environment. But I'm confident Ole and Warren will do a good job."

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Fantastic news, delighted for Ole and it's fully deserved.
Ill be glad to watch him on Mutv with the reserves. This has made my day :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ye just heard it in Fergie's PC. Favourite player ever, I hope he does great in the job. He has been involved with the reserves for quite a while, trying to come back from injury. Also, he can clearly analyse the game, while on the bench and had time to get coaching experience during his injury. I wish him all the best.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Wonder what it means for Choccy though.......
Where will he go? Will he stay at United in some capacity?
McClair is the Director of the Youth Academy. He only took over the reserves this season on a caretaker basis because our reserve team coach got a job at Brondby last summer.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Duo to manage young charges

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=6439178

United will have two coaches to guide the Reds' young charges in the Reserves league next season with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Warren Joyce, who joins from Royal Antwerp, teaming up together.

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed the pair will manage United's second string, as well as monitoring the progress of those youngsters farmed out on loan.

"The two of them will combine to manage the players out on loan and the coaching side of things with the Reserves," revealed Sir Alex.

"It's a difficult job to manage in Reserve football nowadays because you don't have a consistent squad of players - it changes every week.

"It's really a slight advancement of youth football in that very few teams play experienced players, it's all young lads that are involved. That's one of the reasons why we started loaning players out three or four years ago in numbers, rather than just one or two.

"Half a dozen go out on loan every season for us and we have to manage that.

"That can be tricky because the players are in different environments and at different levels when they're on loan which are not the Manchester United environment. But I'm confident Ole and Warren will do a good job."

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Fantastic news imo.

The reserves will certainly learn a lot from him, and hopefully he does a great job.

Its his first step towards management imo.

·
Registered
488 Posts
We are even taking the Reserves league by storm... The reserves will surely picked up some pointers from Ole... It boost the team when they are need as well... Ole Ole Ole!!!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dckyfoxes said:
We are even taking the Reserves league by storm... The reserves will surely picked up some pointers from Ole... It boost the team when they are need as well... Ole Ole Ole!!!

:) I was thinking the same thing. I say we will win every competition we compete in next season!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts