Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
England will have an additional club in next season's Uefa Cup after topping Europe's fair play rankings.

The place will be awarded to the best-behaved Premier League team that does not qualify for European competition next term.

Manchester City are the side who would qualify in the current Premier League fair play standings.

City, whose final game is at Middlesbrough on Sunday, qualified for the Uefa Cup on the same basis in 2003.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's side currently stand fifth in the fair play table, behind Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool - who are all already guaranteed a place in continental competition.

This means City, with only a single league game remaining, stand on the brink of an unexpected European spot once Uefa clarify whether this weekend's matches count towards the final calculation.

Everton and Fulham are the other teams in contention to qualify, although David Moyes' side will enter the Uefa Cup automatically if they get a point against Newcastle at Goodison Park on Sunday.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Im just surprised that the 4 teams who are top of the fair play standings are:
Tottenham, Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool. Thats very strange I think.

Pity Sven wont be around to watch them lose in Europe ;-)

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Now I really feel terrible that Sven might get sacked. He could stay, the owner who's name I can't spell from memory, hasn't directly come out and said Sven's Sacked. I

think if City qualify for Europe and Sven doesn't get fired and he guide's them to UEFA Cup glory that will be proof that football can be beautiful once more. I'd be so happy for Sven.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
dlan4327 said:
Now I really feel terrible that Sven might get sacked. He could stay, the owner who's name I can't spell from memory, hasn't directly come out and said Sven's Sacked. I

think if City qualify for Europe and Sven doesn't get fired and he guide's them to UEFA Cup glory that will be proof that football can be beautiful once more. I'd be so happy

for Sven.
:eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd not be happy for him, because the team he is managing is Citeh.

Fair play league, in my opinion is a joke. Espeically as the FIFTH placed club in England, is ending up with the spot.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes i looked at this on the sky sports website a couple of weeks ago we were top nearly the whole season i think :D
City will get it because they have nothing to play for whereas Fulham have their status to play therefore the tacklings will be flying in !

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Amazing! Eh? :rolleyes:

Apparently, City have to be very xcareful of their conduct on the weekend or else
its gone.

Fulham are also in contention for this place.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Keano! said:
Amazing! Eh? :rolleyes:

Apparently, City have to be very xcareful of their conduct on the weekend or else
its gone.

Fulham are also in contention for this place.
Then surely City players will be told not to tackle anyone. I guess they will
just roll over and submit as usual :rolleyes:

And if Fulham got it? lol They will be a championship team next season more
than likely.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Didn't that happen with Ipswich a few years back? Got into Europe, then got relegated the same season.

Ahh, tomorrow is a facinating day for the EPL.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you come from Manchester,
You're sure to be a blue,
Moston Collyhurst, Salford, Ancoats too,
And if you think that this is true you're nothing but a fool,
Cos in this town of Manchester Man United rule,
Tra la la la,
We all hate city,
Tra la la la, la la, la la, la la.

Forget youre Bayern Munichs, Juventus, Ajax too,
There's only one collosal team they play in Lazer Blue,
The're gonna beat United like once upon a time,
The're gonna conquer Europe like they did in 69,
Tra la la la,
We all hate city,

·
Registered
31 Posts
with sven goran eriksson and sinawatra too, their guna conquer europe in citys lazer blue, united were once bigger, but not anymore, cos city are so massive, their the pride of signapore

·
Registered
31 Posts
sinawatras millions will buy a cup or two, cos that is the logic when ur a bitter blue, and then it all go tits up, and united cheer with joy, we'll all laugh at city, the dirty,bitter, blue boys tra la la we al hate city...

(i cant stop myself!)

·
23,699 Posts
Guardian, Tuesday May 13 2008

City set to claim Uefa Cup fair play place
Dunne's red card will not have impact on English table

Manchester City are expected to go forward as England's fair-play representatives in next season's Uefa Cup despite Richard Dunne's sending-off at Middlesbrough throwing up the possibility that they might have ruined their chances. City were fifth in the table for good behaviour and if they finish in that position they will squeeze into the Uefa Cup because the clubs above them - Tottenham, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool - have already qualified for Europe.

Fulham were seventh when the last standings were calculated - behind Everton, who have also qualified - with two games to play, and are monitoring the situation. However, it is not thought that Dunne's indiscretion will have a significant impact on the final table, meaning City can expect to be involved in the Uefa Cup's qualifying-round draw on June 30.

By then their owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, will hope to have persuaded Luis Felipe Scolari, currently the Portugal coach, to take over in place of Sven-Goran Eriksson, who is resigned to being sacked 10 months into a three-year contract. The Swede will be on the flight to Thailand today when the squad leave for a promotional trip as he does not want to jeopardise his £1m pay-off.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The article I read said it's quite a strange long-winded calculation UEFA use to work out the fair play league positions so it may not be announced until next week.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts