Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One-club wonders: Sportsmail's guide to the top 15 players who only ever kissed a single badge

As the ink dries on Ryan Giggs' new one-year contract extension at Manchester United, the Old Trafford legend will have one eye on breaking one of the few records he doesn't hold.

He currently has 787 appearances under his belt, and will pass the 800 mark by the end of the season injuries permitting.

Then he has until the end of the 2010 season to overtake the ultimate one-club man - Portsmouth's Jimmy Dickinson - who chalked up a staggering 828 games for Pompey between 1946-65, 764 of them in the League.

However, Giggs won't be able to catch Swindon Town legend John Trollope whose 770 Football League appearances for the club between 1960-81 will almost certainly never be beaten.

Whatever figure Giggs finally does end his career on, he is certainly a dying breed of player.

Not too many stay in one place for a whole career but there are a few in the Premier League who have worn the same badge for over ten years - and none other.

Manchester United team-mate Paul Scholes has 589 games under his belt, Liverpool duo Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher have 468 and 547 respectively and Ledley King would have at least another 150 to add to his 250 at Tottenham but for a series of cruel injuries.

The one-club man is fast becoming extinct so Sportsmail decided to remember some of football's greatest-ever servants.......

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1144455/One-club-wonders-Sportsmails-guide-15-players-kissed-single-badge.html

·
Registered
629 Posts
41 appearences needed to beat the all time record and I think he should be able to do it now since he looks in great shape and has already signed for another season. I hope he adds another feather to his hat with this record.

A 'one club wonder' that comes to my mind is Raul.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary....

Any other one club wonders? Don't seem to be easy to recall in the modern (money) era . Lol.

·
Registered
629 Posts
versa said:
Gary....

Any other one club wonders? Don't seem to be easy to recall in the modern (money) era . Lol.
Guti.......it was on back of my mind but I wasn't sure so wikied it. And yeah he is a one club wonder.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
versa said:
I am surprised too. :D :eek:
Lol, its crazy to look at how long guys like Yashin played for one club.

You'll find a lot of those players played in crap leagues though.

·
Registered
629 Posts
piazza said:
Lol, its crazy to look at how long guys like Yashin played for one club.

You'll find a lot of those players played in crap leagues though.

Looking at the list the majority are from England, Scotland, Germany, Italy and Spain so don't think most played in crap leagues.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Rahul said:
Looking at the list the majority are from England, Scotland, Germany, Italy and Spain so don't think most played in crap leagues.
A lot also played in Iran, South Africa and Korea too. Most of the recent ones are from crap leagues, I should have said.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
piazza said:
A lot also played in Iran, South Africa and Korea too. Most of the recent ones are from crap leagues, I should have said.
So... not that they are loyal but not good enough to be wanted by bigger leagues? :p

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
versa said:
So... not that they are loyal but not good enough to be wanted by bigger leagues? :p
Damn, you sure are an insightful guy!:) I didn't even think about that. There's definitely an element of truth to that me thinks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
piazza said:

The smaller league don't have a big money issue like the European Leagues. Players jump from one club to another in Europe for the sake of money but in the 'crap' league it doesn't matter which club you play in cause all of them virtually pay the same amount so one might as well stay at one club :D

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Rahul said:
The smaller league don't have a big money issue like the European Leagues. Players jump from one club to another in Europe for the sake of money but in the 'crap' league it doesn't matter which club you play in cause all of them virtually pay the same amount so one might as well stay at one club :D
Perhaps, but I am sure that for many of them, loyalty does play a part while deciding to stay at one club.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sownak27 said:
Perhaps, but I am sure that for many of them, loyalty does play a part while deciding to stay at one club.
Suddenly this thread is no longer just good for achives but comes alive again. :)

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
piazza said:
Maldini. Classic case, for me.

Also, if you look at some of the dates, it's clear that the phenomenon is dying out.

It's also curious to see the quantity of players from the Soviet Union, and no wonder, they weren't allowed to leave the country. I think the 1st one was Dassaev...

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Maldini at 24 years is incredible and still playing :eek:
Big Jack Charlton played for Leeds for over 20 years.

edit: Sporting beat me to Maldini...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts