Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has conceded that Gareth Barry will be allowed to fulfil his wish to join Liverpool, so long as The Reds meet the club's valuation of the player.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is keen to land England international Barry, who on Sunday reiterated his desire to play UEFA Champions League football, as he looks to bolster his midfield ahead of the 2008/09 season.

However, the Anfield club have failed in their previous attempts to secure Barry's services, despite upping their offer earlier this month.

O'Neill has remained adamant that the club are desperate to retain their captain, but has now admitted Barry will be granted permission to leave - for the right price.

Valuation

"The chairman and I were surprised at Gareth's comments," O'Neill told The Sun.

"Contrary to what he said, we desperately wanted to keep him - and he knows that.

"But if Liverpool meet our valuation, Gareth will get his expressed wish to leave. Until then, he remains an Aston Villa player."

Liverpool's latest offer was reportedly in the region of £15million, but rumours claim Villa are holding out for a fee of £18million.

barry should have stayed with villa and not becuase he is going to liverscum but he had something good there.. villa were a good young team and would have pushed for the CL..

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
He's a good player and could form a great partnership with Gerrard but I think £18m is too much money for him.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
reddwarf said:
He's a good player and could form a great partnership with Gerrard but I think £18m is too much money for him.
18 £ is too much for him
but didn't we pay that amount to sign carrick
am afraid that liverpool are going to be unstoppable with barry
he is a great play maker
he can help torres to score more goals

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
abojodeh said:
18 £ is too much for him
but didn't we pay that amount to sign carrick
am afraid that liverpool are going to be unstoppable with barry
he is a great play maker
he can help torres to score more goals

Abo your comical posts have just take another turn for the worst, Liverpool unstappable ? haha

£18m in my opinion for an average versitile team player is highway robery. This signing would be a decent one but with that price tag i would certainly drop interest, Xabi Alonso is for me a far better and far more gifted footballer than Gareth Barry will ever be, yes Gerrard and him have a good understanding but it's too much, and to compare this to carrick is totally different, Carrick is a calm passer that will keep the ball at all times, they already have that in Alonso so wheres the need to be wasting 18m ? it confuses me but yes Barry's a decent footballer.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
exactly i dont understand why they'd sell Alonso ... he's a more gifted footbller in my opinion, maybe their thinking they need more steel in their team to make a good challenge ... who knows, Benitez probably doesnt :p

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Drew9 said:
exactly i dont understand why they'd sell Alonso ... he's a more gifted footbller in my opinion, maybe their thinking they need more steel in their team to make a good challenge ... who knows, Benitez probably doesnt :p
selling alonso would be the biggest mistake rafa can do
alonso have been on of liverpool top top assisters in the last few years
plus he have a great defencive abilities

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Breaking News:

Barry isnt staying at Villa it has just been announced on their website.
Great news that he isnt going to the Scousers. top player imo.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Hasn't he only got 1 more year on his contract? if so then Villa are stupid to ask for so much for him.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Sky Sports

Barry staying at Villa
Villa end talks after deadline passes without agreement

Aston Villa have confirmed Gareth Barry is staying at the club and will not be joining Liverpool.

Barry has been a target for Liverpool throughout the summer, but the Premier League rivals have been unable to agree on a fee.

Liverpool have seen multiple bids for the England international rejected, with Villa reportedly wanting a sum in the region of £18million.

The midfielder had stated that he wanted to take up the opportunity to move to Anfield to play UEFA Champions League football.

He was critical of Villa boss Martin O'Neill and was also fined by the club before returning to pre-season training a fortnight ago, and then being booed by fans in a friendly against Walsall last week.

Deadline passed

Barry will now spend the new season in the Midlands after Villa revealed Liverpool did not meet the deadline to agree on a deal.

A statement on Villa's official website read: "This evening, Aston Villa can announce that Gareth Barry will be staying with the club following the interest from Liverpool over recent months.

"During discussions in the past few days, a final deadline to conclude this episode was set that all parties were aware of and agreed to.

"This deadline has now passed and so Gareth will remain with Villa."

Reds boss Rafa Benitez had admitted on Tuesday, following the signing of Robbie Keane from Tottenham Hotspur, that he would have to sell before being in a position to buy Barry.

However, Benitez will now have to look elsewhere for midfield reinforcements after Villa ended negotiations regarding a possible deal.

============================================================================

Well, I can't say I'm too bothered whether he stays or goes.

Hes over-rated imo. Hes a decent player, no better. Certainly not good enough for a Top 4, Champions League (if they get their :p) side.

But I can't believe the stick Martin O'Neills getting, especially from the bitter scousers. Its disgraceful, and its something Benitez does all the time, e.g Crouch.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Deadline passed but realistically he could still go... Transfer window is still open and if a better offer is made i doubt Villa will not even bother to listen.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Liverpool and Villa finally agree £19m deal for Gareth Barry as England star secures his Anfield move in part swap with Finnan

Gareth Barry's transfer to Liverpool finally looks like going through after the Anfield club came up with the money to secure his move from Aston Villa.

The longest-running saga of the summer has reached a confusing climax after an earlier statement that he was staying at Villa Park.

Sportsmail understands that the mix-up was due to a deadline being missed by 20
minutes, and the transfer will finally be concluded on Thursday.

Villa will receive a £17.5million fee plus right back Steve Finnan in exchange for a midfielder who will fulfil his wish to play in the Champions League this season after all.

To find the money, Liverpool needed to provide the bank with a guarantee that funds to cover the move will be raised during the remainder of the close season.

The transfer has dragged on since May when Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez made it clear that Barry was his top priority.
Source: Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1039828/Liverpool-Villa-finally-agree-19m-deal-Gareth-Barry-England-star-secures-Anfield-swap-Finnan.html

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
:eek: Your kidding me? Villa fans must be soooo upset after hearing earlier
he would be staying. Im annoyed now cos he is a class player. Scousers get
2 great players in 2 days :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I can't believe he moved...

...for once the scousers are making decent signings!

Its the dailymail though....I'll believe 100% once I see on sky or BBC etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts