Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aston Villa have reportedly stepped up their quest for a new goalkeeper by adding Manchester United's Ben Foster to their shortlist.

According to The Sun, Villa boss Martin O'Neill is hoping to secure Foster on a loan deal similar to that which saw Liverpool's Scott Carson spend last season at the Birmingham club.

The Villans had the option to buy Carson at the end of the deal but his form during the second half of the term was at odds with the ₤10million price tag.

The 22-year-old has hence returned to Merseyside and is likely to be shipped out again during the summer, while Sir Alex Ferguson will be pondering whether to do the same with Foster.

The former Stoke City custodian was pegged to succeed Edwin van der Sar as United's No. 1 last term, but a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament put an end to that plan before the season started.

Meanwhile, Van der Sar continues to be one of England's top-performing keepers, meaning Foster may find chances slim if he stays at Old Trafford.

Villa have also been strongly linked with Tottenham outcast Paul Robinson and West Ham shot-stopper Robert Green.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I've two words for O'Neill.....

..FUNNY MAN! :p

lol...no way Fergie will sell. I've a lot of respect for O'Neill but he can think again if
he thinks he'll take Englands future #1 away from Old Trafford

·
Registered
934 Posts
Keano! said:
I've two words for O'Neill.....

..FUNNY MAN! :p

lol...no way Fergie will sell. I've a lot of respect for O'Neill but he can think again if
he thinks he'll take Englands future #1 away from Old Trafford
i agree

i highly doubt SAF will sell, foster will be our next no.1. if a goalkeeper leaves on loan or even is sold it will be kuszcak.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
assuming fitness isnt an issue, do you guys think that foster will become our #2 keeper next year? kuszczak is a good keeper but if foster stays behind him for too long it might send out the wrong message to him. after all, he's played for england, he wouldn't expect to be 3rd choice, even if he is at the best club in the world.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Foster shouldn't be leaving United at all, whether it is a loan or transfer.

Hes going to be a fantastic goalkeeper, the successor to Van Der Sar, so he should stay and be #2 and challenge for the #1 spot next season, and then after that I think Van Der Sar will leave and Foster can be #1.

But seriously Martin O'Neill, is this a joke?

Fergie won't sell him. No way! :p

·
Registered
550 Posts
RedAdam said:
assuming fitness isnt an issue, do you guys think that foster will become our #2 keeper next year? kuszczak is a good keeper but if foster stays behind him for too long it might send out the wrong message to him. after all, he's played for england, he wouldn't expect to be 3rd choice, even if he is at the best club in the world.
Of course. Foster is far superior to Kuszczak. And he looks like an English version of Iker Casillas, which counts hugely in his favour.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Natalie said:
going on loan might not be that bad gives him 1st team footiee while are main man vds is still at it
I'd prefer him to play second fiddle to VDS for the next season before taking over. Edwin is getting old, sustains the occasional injury and can't play every single game. Foster will have opportunities to prove himself.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
ManUtd19 said:
I'd prefer him to play second fiddle to VDS for the next season before taking over. Edwin is getting old, sustains the occasional injury and can't play every single game. Foster will have opportunities to prove himself.
Ditto.

O'Neill can have TK though :D

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Let him go for a year to a prem team. Why the hell not?
He will get loads of experience and be ready for when Edwin steps down.
Edwin is still far superior than him and will obviously be number 1 next season.
Kuzzie is more than able as number 2...so whats the point of having Foster as 3?
No point, ship him out, give him more experience. Simple really.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.