Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we know Vidic is suspended for atleast the first leg, possibly the second aswell, so who should partner Rio?

Wes Brown is due back some time this month, so I think its safe to assume that, barring any unfortunate set backs, he'll be fit by the time the CL starts again.

Does Fergie start with Evans and prove how much faith he has in him?

I think its safe to assume that Rafael will probably sit this one out, its far too big a game + its very tactical and he could get exploited. On the other hand has he done enough to make you feel he is able to handle Mancini, Quaresma ect?

Neville would be a decent bet as he's started to show some form in recent weeks, but my main worry there is that although Mancini and Quaresma haven't exacly set the world alight at Inter yet, they still have pace to burn, and with Neville turning like an oil tanker these days we could have a major problem. But then does his experience counter this?

The most obvious choice is Brown at RB, he is quick, strong, experienced and usually rises to the occasion. On the other hand he was very off form in the early parts of the season and was left on the bench and appeared to be 3rd choice at 1point, unless that was due to his injury.

Wes Brown at CB is another option - and a good one to have too. Its his natural position and we saw last year vs Barca how good he can be (IMO his greatest ever games were vs Barca last year). We already know he has a good understanding with Rio aswell. However, would this be a signal to Evans that we don't rate him as highly as Fergie is saying?

With the greatest respect I don't think O'Shea is really in contention for a starting place, solid player though he is, unless injuries force our hand.

--Rafael----Rio----Evans----Evra--

--Neville---Rio----Brown----Evra--

--Brown---Rio----Evans----Evra--

--Rafael---Rio----Brown---Evra--

--Neville---Rio----Evans---Evra--

So which defence do you think we should play?

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Personally I think

Brown Rio EVans Evra

Is the best, assuming however, that Brown is match fit by then

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Sownak27 said:
Personally I think

Brown Rio EVans Evra

Is the best, assuming however, that Brown is match fit by then
Id agree with this, presuming of course Wes will be match fit (which I dont think he will be)
If not then Id love to see Rafael in the mix. He has played well in huge games for us already,
so he deserves a shot. Evans has earned the right to be at centre back. He has been
solid there in all of his games, never letting his team mates down.
Rio and Evra pick themselves of course.

Great summary by the way TheManc.

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
If Brown is fit i think this defence should be played

Brown..Rio..Evans..Evra

If not

Neville..Rio..Evans..Evra

S

·
0 Posts
First choice line up for me has to be.

Brown..Rio..Evans..Evra

If brown is out then i would like to see

Rafael---Rio----Evans---Evra

I'd like to see what Rafael performs like on the big stage.

·
Registered
734 Posts
as good as Rafa is and all id still put in Neville for this one a bit of experience i think will go a long way in this type of a game not that id be worried with Rafa but id still go Nev...Rio...Evans...Evra. if we are still holding onto Nev these must be the types of games he is their for. if Brown is back i would play him instead of Evans.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Top post the_manc, good questions too.

IF brown is fit and playing, i think he will play. Possibly Neville to if fergie goes for experience. I think it'd be a great learning experience for rafael but im not sure fergie is willing to take such a risk against inter at there ground, even though id love to see it! But id play our strongest available which would probably be...

Brown rio evans evra - i think the three experienced could take care of evans but i sometimes worry about areal threat when he plays, i dont know why, but he strikes me as a lil shaky then but he is only 20.

If brown is not fit i think he will pick neville at right back even though id love to see rafa get a game. [email protected] turning like an oil tank...pretty harsh but yes, neville is not going to get any better.

What do i think fergie will pick?

I think it'll be this...

Neville Rio Brown Evra...

If all four are fit and playing games...

Whoever plays, i think they are capable of doing a job though providing we get support from midfield....and with our ability to break and with speed and the players we have, i hope w can beat them at there ground! I think we are capable of it.

pz!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I realy think we'll have a back line up looking like this: Neville Rio Evans Evra, cause ....Fergie won't give up on Neville if he's fit..he's one of his favourites so i guess he'll start..and he repeted that he Evans has a bright future ahear that he's a very good defender, and showed he trusted him by giving him a lot of games, unexpectedly.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
IF Wes can be match fit in time for that match he SHOULD play.

Fergie will want some experience hands in European ties and although
we'd all like to see Rafael, I think Fergie would favour Gary Neville.

Rafale did well against Robinho when we played city, but Inter is a
different proposition, especially away from home.

The match is only at the end of Feb, so there's a lot of time till then.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think even as good as Evan's is I wouldn't be surprised if Ibrahimovic scores.

Heck even with Ferdinand & Vidic I would be worried. Right now Ibra is the best striker in the world.

I'm still confident, though. :) It promises to be an entertaining match.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Presuming Wes isn't back I'd go for ...

Rafael Evans Rio Evra

But if Wes was back I'd go for ...

Brown Evans Rio Evra

I think SAF has confidence in Evans so we should as well he looks very tidy at the back and it would be a big step up for him if he were to play a game like this.

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
I think we would struggle with Eto'o but Ibra although a great player doesnt perform in the big games. If we had Vida and Rio He would cause us very little problems but without Vida he might cause us a scare but last year he was in Carragher and whoever else was playings pocket.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
--Brown---Rio----Evans----Evra-- if brown is fit by then if not then;
--Rafael----Rio----Evans----Evra--

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Vidic is a massive loss. I'd rather lose Ronaldo or anyone else for this game rather than Vidic.

Either way, we're in trouble, Ibrahimovic will probably destroy Evans, and if Neville plays RB, Quaresma/Mancini will destroy him.

I'd go for Brown Ferdinand Evans Evra - and just hope Ibrahimovich has a bad game.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
christianoharleiro said:
Vidic is a massive loss. I'd rather lose Ronaldo or anyone else for this game rather than Vidic.

Either way, we're in trouble, Ibrahimovic will probably destroy Evans, and if Neville plays RB, Quaresma/Mancini will destroy him.

I'd go for Brown Ferdinand Evans Evra - and just hope Ibrahimovich has a bad game.

tbh i dont really rate zlatan i think hes hugely over rated the way people talk about him i expect big things and whenever i se him play hes a huge disapointment! hes playing in a corrupt league with bassicly a team full of all the good juventus players init untill they got relagated so hes bound to do well in a league wheretheres no competition agasint them! we will see now what hes really like when he comes up agasint quailty opposition!

persoanlly i dont rate that many inter players i think there all over hyped tbh but we will see!

my defence if evryone is fit would be

brown rio evans evra

if not than rafeal comes in for brown but tbh i think fergie wont start rafeal not away from home anyway!although wouldnt it be more of a risk to play him at home with the away goal rule? dont think we will see rafeal for awile in europe inless were crusing through some game! we have to beat inter 1st of course

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
definatley Rio and Evans in the middle,Evans showed great character in recent times and had one of his best performances against Boro_Obviously Evra will sit in and on the Right i can see Neville starting with Brown coming on at some point

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
cantos red army said:
tbh i dont really rate zlatan i think hes hugely over rated the way people talk about him i expect big things and whenever i se him play hes a huge disapointment!
I absolutely agree.

Ibrahimovic is over-rated. He has a great level of ability no doubt. But he doesn't perform consistently. During a Champions League night on Sky Sports (either this season or last) they were talking about Ibrahimovic and what they said was right. He only performs when he wants to, is extremely moody and is highly over-rated.

(Now that I've said that, he'll probably play well against us :rolleyes: :p)

Back on topic, good thread and good summary theManc.

As for the defence, at the San Siro I would play;

Brown---Ferdinand---Evans---Evra.

Ferdinand and Evra pick themselves obviously. As for the other two, I see no reason why we shouldn't play Evans. After all he's young. But hes experienced and has played against top quality players for Northern Ireland. He's impressed whenever he's played this season and it would be hard on him if we left him out. And he will have Rio and Evra to help him along.

As for RB, I think Brown is the obvious choice. I wouldn't risk playing Rafael in a game of this magnitude at the moment. As for Neville, he's hasn't played well in any of the big games this season imho, and I don't think he can get back up to a high enough level to play in a game of this magnitude as well. So Brown is the obvious choice.

As for the second leg, depending on the score I think we should either keep the same defence or give Rafael a shot.

I think we've also got to take the midfield and the tactics into consideration as well though. Should we go with the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation or 4-4-2?

And, depending on what formation we play, who should play in midfield? Do we play 2 players in a holding role?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts