Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our defence has not been them same this season as it was last season and the season before that. We Have conceded 5 goals in to league matches which is very worrying. And with up next in the league i am worried about Delap long throw and our denfence struggling.

Z

·
0 Posts
I think the main reason our defence has struggled is the constant rotation of the right back position. For two seasons we've had a pretty constant back four with Brown, Rio, Vidic and Evra and we've had the best defence in Europe during that time. We always look a bit shakey when Neville is in the team too. He's not the player he was and shoud be third choice behind Brown (1) and Rafael (2) in my opinion. Rio also seems to play much better when he has the captain's armband.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I agree with you that the defence hasn't looked quite as solid yet this season and I think there could be a few reasons for this.

Like Blade said we havn't had a regular right back yet really this season, with injuries/loss of form causing chopping and changing there. In 06/07 season, we had Gary playing there and in 07/08 Wes came in and looked like he'd been a regular there all his life. This year no one, apart from argeuably Rafael, has made a real claim for the position.

I think another reason as well for the defence not looking as solid is because last season the United back 4 were so dominating and impressive, that there wasn't really a lot of room for improvement. Wes, Rio, Vida and Evra all had probably their best seasons to date in a United shirt and that in itself was a recipe for sucess.

Having said that I still expect defensive performances to improve as the season goes on, but I don't think the defence can be singled out for everything that hasn't gone to plan this season. The strikers and midfield need to start converting more chances up the other end of the pitch, and give the defence some assurance that if they do make a mistake and lose a goal, that it won't cost us the match.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
We still have the best back 4 in Europe imo. A little help from the keeper and midfielders wouldnt go astray either.
Things will improve as the season goes on, especially at OT.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
god help vds with that long throw in he will make a major mistake next week. but our attack will put stoke away no problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts