Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know if its cos were English and European Champions but we seem now to think that every game is a win and comfortable win.

Large proportion we almost certain we were going to stuff Sunderland. Large numbers think Carling Cup is a foregone conclusion and its just a case of how many trophies we will haul in this season rather than if we will win anything this season.

Look at Chelsea last season. A John Terry penalty from winning EC, a woodgate goal from winning Carling Cup and took Premier League down to to the final half of the final game of the season.

A defeat to Barnsley probably stopped them taking the FA Cup too.

So its classic example of how you can be so close to a quadruple/treble and yet at same time by so close to nothing. That's the story of football.

What do i attribute this complacent streak to??? Personally, I think its the new breed of post-1992 fans who have come along and seen an amazing 12 years at Old Trafford and majority of them expect every season to be like last season was.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
hmm not totally true. I know lods of pre 92 fans (myself included) that thought
we would give Sunderland a pasting. They lost their manager and they were
in shocking form. I thought it was gonna be a riot. Doesnt make me or anyone
else any less of a fan, just cos we predict a massive scoreline.
As for the Carling Cup, it does look like a winnable trophy for us, but I keep
telling people to not count their chickens....
I know how close we came last year to winning nothing and I can sort of see
what you are trying to say Ant, but it doesnt go for every fan/member.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
antdevil78 said:
Dont know if its cos were English and European Champions but we seem now to think that every game is a win and comfortable win.

Large proportion we almost certain we were going to stuff Sunderland. Large numbers think Carling Cup is a foregone conclusion and its just a case of how many trophies we will haul in this season rather than if we will win anything this season.

Look at Chelsea last season. A John Terry penalty from winning EC, a woodgate goal from winning Carling Cup and took Premier League down to to the final half of the final game of the season.

So its classic example of how you can be so close to a quadruple/treble and yet at same time by so close to nothing. That's the story of football.

What do i attribute this complacent streak to??? Personally, I think its the new breed of post-1992 fans who have come along and seen an amazing 12 years at Old Trafford and majority of them expect every season to be like last season was.

Agree with alot of what you said there we have been spoiled with our trophy haul . But In all due respect the fans do expect to win at home to sunderland and other teams of a similar level . Its not all fans fault they have been born only to support during the successful era so how would they know any different .

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
antdevil78 said:

I agree.
I think true United fans are hard to find, supporters that support and players that play are only connected to United because of our trophies. If we'd have been unsuccessful in the last 15 years we wouldn't have half as many supporters and a lot of our players wouldn't be here.

Berbatov, seemingly talking as if there's nothing wrong with it, came out and said "I'm at United for trophies", which to me is glory-hunting.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
we should have mullered sunderland and if we had scored early im sure we would have . manager just walked out bottom 3 defending like bad schoolboys . us at home and jesus was in short pants last time they got a result against us at o/t . they totally parked the bus like no team at o/t in years -it was attack v defence all game -- 27 shots to two wasnt it . the other bit of post about expecting success i agree with and have posted many times saying we should enjoy it while it lasts .

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
PeeJay said:
I agree.
I think true United fans are hard to find, supporters that support and players that play are only connected to United because of our trophies. If we'd have been unsuccessful in the last 15 years we wouldn't have half as many supporters and a lot of our players wouldn't be here.

Berbatov, seemingly talking as if there's nothing wrong with it, came out and said "I'm at United for trophies", which to me is glory-hunting.
of course he is glory hunting -why would a player with great skill and ambition go --- i know im off to leeds - they are a club with good fanbase and tradition :rolleyes:

it has never been any different for last 40 years . the best players go to the best clubs ---- dalglish never went to burnley did he ? . when we have a few lean years most fans will stay true ---- the test of glory hunter is how long they stay after the glory goes

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Nice thread
I agree to some extent though i wouldn't say that this necessarily applies to each and every fan. Like I dont even know if we re gonna win against Derby :p But I guess I'm just paranoid that way

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sownak27 said:
Nice thread
I agree to some extent though i wouldn't say that this necessarily applies to each and every fan.
antdevil78 said:
What do i attribute this complacent streak to??? Personally, I think its the new breed of post-1992 fans who have come along and seen an amazing 12 years at Old Trafford and majority of them expect every season to be like last season was
Like i said......

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
antdevil78 said:

i have been supporting utd since 1976 and i predicted we would score 6 goals , i might have been wrong but if you look at the chances utd created we could have hit double figures.
during the mid to late 90's i worked in a factory with about 8 liverpool fans and most weekends we would have our small wagers on the games and i regulary gave them a 2 or 3 goal start if they bet me against utd {various opponents} and i took their money most games , the most memorable was against barnsley i got carried away and said we would win by 6 clear and i had to accept the bet- the final score was 7-1 and the scouse git had tears in his eyes when he handed me the fiver . they were great days and utd were fearless in their play ,the current team are capeable of doing the same and when i feel utd are in the zone i will gladly predict big scores and the last 2 games have been a turning point to this season .
expect 6 goals its coming shortly ;)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
sweet fa said:
i have been supporting utd since 1976 and i predicted we would score 6 goals , i might have been wrong but if you look at the chances utd created we could have hit double figures.
during the mid to late 90's i worked in a factory with about 8 liverpool fans and most weekends we would have our small wagers on the games and i regulary gave them a 2 or 3 goal start if they bet me against utd {various opponents} and i took their money most games , the most memorable was against barnsley i got carried away and said we would win by 6 clear and i had to accept the bet- the final score was 7-1 and the scouse git had tears in his eyes when he handed me the fiver . they were great days and utd were fearless in their play ,the current team are capeable of doing the same and when i feel utd are in the zone i will gladly predict big scores and the last 2 games have been a turning point to this season .
expect 6 goals its coming shortly ;)
Could Aalborg be the game where 6goals come?

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Could Aalborg be the game where 6goals come?
brondby revisited :p they are struggling in their league and sacked rioch a month back but they are resilient ------

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
What a silly thread, in fact what a silly forum, theres nothing to discuss. We will win the rest of our games this season at least 3-0 and lift at least the same two trophies we did last year and they are engraving the carling cup as i type with Our name....:D

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
only on a united forum could a thread about united fans being complacent turn into whether we will score 6 goals in a champions league game.

All forums should be like this, saves time in quoting people when they put the quotes you need in for you.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
haggler said:
brondby revisited :p they are struggling in their league and sacked rioch a month back but they are resilient ------
When was he sacked after the Utd game then yeah??
So you think it will be close enough game.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
antdevil78 said:
only on a united forum could a thread about united fans being complacent turn into whether we will score 6 goals in a champions league game.

All forums should be like this, saves time in quoting people when they put the quotes you need in for you.
About the six goals.... its clearly just to take the pee pee out of the thread. Relax a little.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
I agree 100%.

Another put on fans, why is it that every game at home gets an increasingly amount of nobheads there? :confused: :(

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
Personally I thought we were gonna beat sunderland by a big scoreline. basically because they were playing awful and they had no manager. as far as expecting the team to win everything, just look at our squad, its clearly one of the most talented we have had, so of course expectations are higher.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts