Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A review on there strong points and what they need to improve on.

Jonny Evans.

He's been one of our biggest success stories this season. In the Summer when we let Pique and Silvestre go without signing a replacement I was slightly worried, however he's come in and, for the most part, looked every bit a first teamer. His reading of the game is phenominal. Almost Rio esque.

His partnership with Vidic was immense during our cleen sheet run. What's impressed me most is how he plays in the big games. He has never let us down. No matter how the big the game is, whether it be Chelsea away, Chelsea at home or even Inter Milan away in the Champions League he has been brilliant.

He still has a bit to go but I think he's a genuine world class prospect.

What he needs to improve on.

The only thing he really lacks is pace. He's not slow by any means, but IMO thats the one attribute he's missing. Obviously you can't magically become lightening fast over night, but you can work on your accelaration. His size isn't an issue and he's still developing physically.

Rafael Da Silva

Ever since his debut vs Peterborough he's gone from strength to strength. His workrate, tackling ability and attitude to football are brilliant. He's also drastically improved the defensive side of his game in the last few months. For me the City game was when he really proved he was a Manchester United player. He may not have been as exciting or explosive in this game, but he nullified the threat from an in-form Robinho. He proved his tactical discipline, which is half the trouble when it comes to South American defenders.

To me he plays quite similar to how Hargreaves does when on the right hand side. If he keeps improving at his current rate then we are set for years.

Without doubt he still needs to master the art of positional sense. Altough he's improved a lot he still can be found a well out of position, forcing him to concede a free kick. He also needs to learn not to dive in so much. Against City he was excellent at this like I said earlier, but that might have been because he was on a yellow. He needs to learn that the best way to tackle is by staying on your feet. I'm sure he'll get this sooner rather than later. He could do with having a bit more composure on the ball also.

Fabio Da Silva

Almost a mirror image of his brother in everything from looks, to playing style and playing ability. We haven't seen as much of his as we have Rafael, but he seems to be slightly more technical. When he played vs Spurs in the FA Cup it was genuinly like having a mini Evra running down the wing.

Unfortunately he's been injured a lot ths season. Hopefully asfter he gets a decent pre-season and bulks up a bit he'll get past this.

Positional sense. Thats genuinly the ony thing missing from his game. He's basically a calmer version of his brother. I'm 99% sure he'll improve this aspect of his game because of our experience with Evra. After 1 pre season he bacame a completely different player defensively. I expect something similar, though this will take more time.

Darren Gibson

I'll be honest, his first few games for us this season did not impress me. I almost completely ruled him out of being a permenent fixture in our squad. However, in his last few appearances he's a different player. His vision is good, he's composed and has arguably the best long distance strike of anyone at our club. Anyone who has watched him in the reserves in the past will know that his close efforts in the first team are not flukes. I've been impressed by his positonal sense, he's very similar to Carrick in this regard.

I feel that he will be the one who blooms the latest. He's keeping it simple rightn ow, which is good. He's getting better tactically, physically and mentally. Hopefully he'll continue.

For me there are 2 major flaws in his game. First of all, he needs to impose himself a little more - again similar to Carrick. But his major problem is his lack of mobility. He's slower on the turn than a hippo. I guess the more he plays and the more he trains his 'first yard' will be much sharper.

Danny Welbeck

Style wise, he's a blend of Henry and Kanu. (Obviously I'm not comparing his talent to this two). He's fast, mobile, very technical and an excellent finisher. Anyone who's watchind him in the reserves will know that he's simply a cut above the rest, along with Macheda. His technical ability is rediculously good. One thing that strikes me is that he seems quite hard to tackle. Maybe thats because he has a very lanky build so is akward to deal with.

Of all the young players we have I feel he is still the most raw, he has probably the longest way to go, but at the same time I do feel that he has the potential to be the best of the bunch. His attitude is spot on aswell. He's a good kid.

His major strong point is when he's on the left side of the are about to curl the ball in, like how he scored vs Derby and narrowly missed yesterday. Its genuinly a joy to watch him do it. its so Henry esque its unreal.

There's a few things he needs to work on IMO. Firstly, his ball control seems to be very hit and miss. When its 'hit' he genuinly is up there with Berbatov in terms of killing the ball at his feet. However when its 'miss' its like watching womans football. He can be very clumsy at times.

He also needs to fill out a bit. Unlike his young teammates he doesn't have the build to really grow. He's naturally skinny and leggy. That doesn't mean he can't grow, but he'll need some more work.

Federico Macheda

Well, what can you day except thank you? He's scored two of the most important goals of the season - both of which display completely different sides to his game.

The goal vs Villa showed his genious. How many other players we have could have done that? None. His goal vs Sunderland on the other hand, although less 'flashy', showed some predetory instinct on his part. Yeah, he was fortunate but you can clearly see him put his leg out. Many seasonal pros would have simply tred to somehow control the ball or else move out the way. His finishing is top notch.

He also seems to have the 'big game mentality'. He isn't afraid of the big names in he opposition defence. He knows his big enough to handle himself and he has the talent and trickery to leave them on the ground. He has a bit of a nasty streak aswell which I actually think is a good thing. You'd rather have a lion than a ***** cat in your team, thats for sure.

Unlike many Italians his work ethis is also very impressive. He's big, strong, fast, you name it. He has all the physical tools to be a top player. He's shown his mental ability aswell. The only things stopping him now are injuries and his own attitude. If he keeps working hard then he will definately get the rewards.

To be honest, there isn't a specific aspect of his game that he needs to improve. He just needs to keep going he'll become better in every department.

If I was going to be picky I'd say he needs to stop with the lashing out. He's done it a few times in the reserves and it could be a problem. His nasty side is good, but his violent side isn't. Like I said I'm nit picking here though. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Hopfully this time next year we'll be talking about Tosic, Petrucci and Ljajic in the same way. Possibly Campbell too.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Nice post, in the main I am in agreement with it. The only thing about Welbeck is experience, which will come with more games.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
nice post, its gud to see the young players playin, this club is based on youth and if they continue how they have and improve on what you were sayin they cud be the next generation of utd...

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Two managers have been instrumental in pursueing our vital youth policy - Busby and Ferguson. Up till now Busby has been the more committed as he actually played most of his crop of kids in first team footy, Fergie has a long long way to go on that score.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
quality post. nothing more to add. i was racking my brains for anything i might vaguely disagree on or want to say myself. nothing.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Excellent analysis on the young players TM. Agree with the improvements you mention.

Another thing Welbeck could improve is his left foot. Only really noticed this Sunday when he was out left his attempt at a shot and a cross with his left peg were poor, but I'm sure it can be worked on although it's not easy.

Gibson has been improving all season, I wasn't too surprised by his shift Sunday as in his last two or so games for Ireland he has come along immensely since his debut. If he gets stuck in and imposes himself physically more in matches he can be a very good squad member

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent analysis on the young players TM. Agree with the improvements you mention.

Another thing Welbeck could improve is his left foot. Only really noticed this Sunday when he was out left his attempt at a shot and a cross with his left peg were poor, but I'm sure it can be worked on although it's not easy.

Gibson has been improving all season, I wasn't too surprised by his shift Sunday as in his last two or so games for Ireland he has come along immensely since his debut. If he gets stuck in and imposes himself physically more in matches he can be a very good squad member
Yeah, it was horrific at times. Though in thee reserves he has proved that his left foot isn't as bad as you think. He scored a cracker against Everton reserves a while back.

Welbeck's performance against Everton is interesting, as it seems that people either think he was great or trully shocking.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
We have seen Wellbeck and Macheda both playing scoring and impressing the fans worldwide
but i think its time to watch another talent forged and improved in our factories
imo Davide Petrucci have allot to show us and i can't wait to see him in action, i wish we see him and the other youngsters playing in the friendlies as i have high exceptations on him :)

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Two managers have been instrumental in pursueing our vital youth policy - Busby and Ferguson. Up till now Busby has been the more committed as he actually played most of his crop of kids in first team footy, Fergie has a long long way to go on that score.
Am i alone in laughing at red devil pee taking about somebody using an e where one was not needed then spelling pursuing wrongly ???? self appointed grammar police should not make such mistakes :eek:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Good shout Abo on Petrucci. Along with Tosic i too cant wait to see more of him especially for the first team. And another one i think deserved to have more chances is Possebon and based on the few times i saw possebon playing i actually rated him above gibson maybe by a bit more.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Good shout Abo on Petrucci. Along with Tosic i too cant wait to see more of him especially for the first team. And another one i think deserved to have more chances is Possebon and based on the few times i saw possebon playing i actually rated him above gibson maybe by a bit more.
this killed all of my hopes and expectations about Tosic :frown:

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
petrucci looks a more gifted player than macheda. Well from what i seen of them together playing a few times he did anyway. Whether he will fit into the united system and squad is a different story though. Next year im sure he'll get more reserve time so he might train with the seniors too which will be great for him. Along with petrruci, the kid keano used to talk about, stewart seems gifted but we'll see how they do next season along with morrison.

Anyway fantastic post themanc, i only just read it to be honest but a great read.

I would say rafael needs to learn to be more composed. He lunges into tackles rather careless at times and against a quick opponent with quick feet he could find himself on the ground and his opponent behind him on more than a few occasions.

I think fabio needs to improve on staying fit for longer than 59 minutes. He seems to look very good whenever he plays but he won't improve on the treatment table. I like the look of fabio more than rafael to be honest, but his mission to get into the united team is twice as difficult.

I think where wellbeck needs to improve on his left foot and composure when he has time in front of goal, macheda needs to improve on other aspects of his game outside scoring. Wellbeck and macheda really are the opposites of each other in some senses, put them together and you would have a major major young talent! Even as stand alones, they're pretty gifted in terms of potential!

pz!:cool:

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
petrucci looks a more gifted player than macheda. Well from what i seen of them together playing a few times he did anyway. Whether he will fit into the united system and squad is a different story though. Next year im sure he'll get more reserve time so he might train with the seniors too which will be great for him. Along with petrruci, the kid keano used to talk about, stewart seems gifted but we'll see how they do next season along with morrison.
i do think they are both of a different type of a player
Macheda is a kind of tall tough markman not a player that would make you hear the oooooh's from the stands hes more of a tall goal-paocher a bit like Ruud/Cruz but more skillful and mobile
he have an amazing eye for goal and a good ball control and i think he proved that by scoring an amazing goal in his debut :thumbsup

for Petrucci i never saw him playing allot but from what i seen i think he is a cross over of Rooney and Tevez
he is not tall but have good agility and strong foot (check the goals in the 4th video i think)
Petrucci maybe is more gifted and definitely more skillful (aren't shorter players more skillful ?) but i can't comment on his finishing as i only saw him playing twice :frown:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
this killed all of my hopes and expectations about Tosic :frown:
LOL i can see what you mean but its way to early to judge. It will rely on how much time he will be given. I didnt managed to watched him much apart from a time or two where he didnt really shine as much and fixed rightly in along with the other kids we have but hes just only new and still have lots to learn. But atleast he is a right place for his development and hopefully he knows how to make use of that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts