Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this mad idea and I don't know if it's been mentioned before.

Many people have been saying that we lack a gerard / ballack , lampard in the central midfield position and that we need someone with a bite , aggression , heart and fight. We are missing a Keane/Robson figure in central midfield.

We need someone who can......

1. Spread great passes around and thread forwards in.

2. Has great energy to track back and tackle and cover defenders.

3. Naturally inspire a team with drive , energy and determination. - leader.

4. Get in the box and score great goals or smash them in from outside the box.

5. Mix it with the best the other team has to offer and be highly competitive

6. Dribble with the ball and not be pushed off it and retain possession.

7. Be an all round higly skilled , confident player who can intimidate teams and take games by the scruff of the neck.

8. Be a "monster" for us in that central position.

Ok , now - who has all these qualities? If I was to say that he's already in our squad you might figure out who I mean. If I then say that this idea would also leave room for Tevez and Berbatov to form a partnership? Is it such a mad idea? :eek:

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
desmondo said:
I've got this mad idea and I don't know if it's been mentioned before.

Many people have been saying that we lack a gerard / ballack , lampard in the central midfield position and that we need someone with a bite , aggression , heart and fight. We are missing a Keane/Robson figure in central midfield.

We need someone who can......

1. Spread great passes around and thread forwards in. Carrick

2. Has great energy to track back and tackle and cover defenders. Hargreaves

3. Naturally inspire a team with drive , energy and determination. - leader. Scholes

4. Get in the box and score great goals or smash them in from outside the box. Scholes

5. Mix it with the best the other team has to offer and be highly competitive Anderson

6. Dribble with the ball and not be pushed off it and retain possession. Anderson

7. Be an all round higly skilled , confident player who can intimidate teams and take games by the scruff of the neck. Hargreaves/Possebon

8. Be a "monster" for us in that central position. None

Ok , now - who has all these qualities? If I was to say that he's already in our squad you might figure out who I mean. If I then say that this idea would also leave room for Tevez and Berbatov to form a partnership? Is it such a mad idea? :eek:
there is no any midfielder in the world who have those 8 qualities you mentioned :p

and i don't get your idea too :p

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
rooney is that player ,and i fully agree that he SHOULD pull the strings from a little further back because he is not a top class striker in my eyes . if rooney was threading the balls thru and taking shots from 25 yards out utd would be far more dangerous ,besides none of the other midfielders are performing great so give rooney a few run outs in this role .i think he would perform brilliantly from midfield.

·
Registered
854 Posts
He obviously means rooney and I agree with him 100%. I don't think he is a forward in the slightest, he simply can't finish.

I thought as soon as he came here that he should play in the centre midfield. However, Fergie has bought so many centre mids, it is highly unlikely that it will happen but if he is only going to play as a forward, well I'd still start Tevez ahead of him.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
hmm Its possible thats for sure but I would have thought it would be towards
the end of his career when his speed diminishes somewhat.
Its not bad idea Des, but it has been thrown about before.
The lad is a striker and he always has been. He lives to score goals
and his best position is up at the top. Maybe when he is 30 imo.
Good thread (again) all the same.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of you seem to agree. I started this thread because it's dawned on me recently that rooney is not a finisher of chances.However, he seems to be able to spray the ball around like a carrick and tackle and compete like a hargreaves. Half the time it doesn't matter where you put him he just crops up anywhere trying to get "involved". He will track back and always seems to have bundles of energy. He can score blasters like scholes and he can also dribble like anderson.

He always looks to me like a player who wants to take games by the scruff of the neck and influence them. What better posiiton than CM? He's got the heart and drive to do it and the physical strength. He can still score goals as well .

The best thing about this idea is that it solves the berba ,tevez , ronaldo , rooney problem. You could play tevez , berba , ronaldo and rooney into this system with nani/giggs on the left.

To me tevez is a better finisher than rooney and rooney is a better midfielder than anderson so the team is stronger.

So Tevez playing just off berbatov - rooney and carrick in midfield , ronaldo on the right , nani/giggs left , it's worth a try isn't it ? -- to me it's better than playing rooney on the left midfield where he gets lost from the game.

My feeling is that if rooney had always been playing CM all his career we wouldn't even question that he is perfectly adapted to it. A physical , aggressive , skillful , passer + dribbler and shooter who has bundles of energy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jazz 16 said:
hmm Its possible thats for sure but I would have thought it would be towards
the end of his career when his speed diminishes somewhat.
Its not bad idea Des, but it has been thrown about before.
The lad is a striker and he always has been. He lives to score goals
and his best position is up at the top. Maybe when he is 30 imo.
Good thread (again) all the same.
The lad is most DEFINITELY NOT a great striker - he does not hit the target often enough. He is not cool enough. Let him burn off his testosterone in midfield where it's useful to us and leave the clinical finishing to those who do it better.

Strikers score goals consistently. They don't lose their heads in front of goal.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
You make a great case for it Des, but what would it do to Rooney's confidence?
Taking him out of his natural environment as a striker and putting him in midfield
is kinda saying that he isnt good enough to be up front, isnt it?

desmondo said:
The lad is most DEFINITELY NOT a great striker - he does not hit the target often enough. He is not cool enough. Let him burn off his testosterone in midfield where it's useful to us and leave the clinical finishing to those who do it better.

Strikers score goals consistently. They don't lose their heads in front of goal.
I never said he was a 'great' striker, despite believing that he actually IS one.
You wouldnt have been making threads like this in October when he was
banging them in for fun. he has gone cold in November but who is to say he
wont be cracking them in in December?
Was he not a great striker in October?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
remember scholsey was a striker that was similar to rooney ,and dropping into midfield certainly made him. they both have great vision both love to shoot from outside the box both got great stamina and when they get into the box they become the extra striker.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jazz 16 said:
Taking him out of his natural environment as a striker and putting him in midfield

I never said he was a 'great' striker, despite believing that he actually IS one.
You wouldnt have been making threads like this in October when he was
banging them in for fun. he has gone cold in November but who is to say he
wont be cracking them in in December?
Was he not a great striker in October?
I know you didn't say he was a "great " striker but then only "great" strikers should be up front for United. We don't want Ok strikers up there do we and rooney is an Ok striker. Cantona was a great striker because you gave him a half chance and at those critical moments when you needed it he produced the goods over and over again - rooney does not do this often enough for 2-3 months in a row.

Bear in mind that a lot of his October goals were not that critical. Also he's been blowing hot and cold for years now. Just when he looks like he's on fire he dips his form. Shearer , lineker , rush , cantona did not do this. They maintained a streak for 2,3,4 month periods. CONSISTENCY!

I would have him in my team any day - fantastic player but not a clinical finisher of chances.

Great strikers do not blow hot and cold and then hot then cold again so quckily. They sustain a period of hotness. He probably wil crack them in in december again but would it last into january?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
desmondo said:

Lol the boy can play all over the park , maybe the clinical finishing will come later , his passing an unselfish play is valuable to the team , i think he is better just behind berbatov.
I also do not think he has the temperament to play cm , he is too hot headed and would be red carded on a regular basis

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
stretty said:
Lol the boy can play all over the park , maybe the clinical finishing will come later , his passing an unselfish play is valuable to the team , i think he is better just behind berbatov.
I also do not think he has the temperament to play cm , he is too hot headed and would be red carded on a regular basis
Look at Roy Keane and how many times he got sent off. Sometimes a red card
can change a game, but with Roy no one really gave out about his red cards,
cos he did so much else during a game. I think Rooney can fill this central midfield role
but not till much later in his career. We cant forget that he is still young, and
has already scored 99 goals in his club career, so he cant be as bad as some
of you are pointing out. He will get the consistency in time. We need to stick by
and support him cos he is one of our most important players.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Whats happened to everyone love for Anderson-son-son?? He came on yesterday,did 2 stupid tackles,give the ball away about 8 times n cried to the ref.Brilliant

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
Whats happened to everyone love for Anderson-son-son?? He came on yesterday,did 2 stupid tackles,give the ball away about 8 times n cried to the ref.Brilliant
After coming back from Brazil within 48 hours.

He's a kid FFS.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Stephen said:
After coming back from Brazil within 48 hours.

He's a kid FFS.
Well dont play him then if he's such a kid....We talk about the great youth prospects etc of our club,but if they are tired and play **** then its ok because they are just kids:confused::confused:

I disagree totally,if he wants to be apart of us,hes gotta be thrown in the deep end once in a while.If it was Scholes who came on and played like that (saying he was fully fit) then what would the excuse be then,he's old FFS,he's blind FFS?? We cant make excuses for these lads,they need to step up to the plate........fast.Anderson has had his newbie season,now he must show this great talent he has,wherever it is.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Agreed. He's much better than Smudge. Now he was *****.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts