Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit random I know, but just a thought.

Every so often, a world class player comes along at OT, that everyone immediately falls in love with... The likes of Georgie Best, Cantona, Beckham, RVN and now currently Ronaldo. These players are usually the sort of guys who make us play the attractive football we are known for and contribute a great deal to our constant success. For instance the 44 goals scored by RVN in one season and the 42 goals scored by Ronaldo in last seasons campaign. For me, these players are vital and everytime one leaves we seem to suffer the consequences, whether it is in the short term or the long term. For instance when Cantona left, we had a disastrous 97/98 season letting Arsenal win the double. When George Best left, we all know what happened, the unthinkable - relegation. When Becks left, we won the Premiership the next year, but only because of a lack of competition, and after that we went 3 years without a major trophy...

What, I am saying basically is that we constantly produce these great stars who are absolute world beaters. However, they always end up being flawed geniuses and end up moving away. Like Becks, Rvn and possibly Ronaldo in the summer going to Real madrid. People can deny it all they want but we rarely have a superstar at this club who lasts longer than 5-6 years... I know Giggs and Keane can be mentionsed but what I am saying is that out of all the Premiership clubs, we seem to be the ones that suffer the most, in terms of our star players being flawed.

MY reason for these happenings is one thing really and that is the players not understanding the meaning of Manchester United. I think for us to have a loyal superstar, he would most certainly need to be British or Irish, someone who knows how important it is to wear the Utd jersey... I know Beckham was English, but tbh He had nothing between the ears, except Victoria's voice telling him to go to Real Madrid... Now, we have Ronaldo saying ''I have a dream'' etc etc and quite frankly it's pissing us all off. He doesn't seem to realise that to Irish and British people, United has to be the biggest club in the world in your head or else you are not wanted or loved by the fans... Ronaldo's status among us fans has undoubtedly started to diminish rapidly as a result of not being able to understand the heritage and history of the club.We had the exact same problems with the likes of Gabby Heinze, RVN etc. I think this inability to understand stems from the fact that he is NOT from our part of the world, where UTD is life, ie Britain and Ireland.

Take an example... Steven Gerrard, English lad, Liverpudlian through and through. Has remained at Liverpool all his life and has done some remarkable things for the club, that I think he wouldn't have been capable of if he didn't have such love for his boyhood club. Also, the likes of Keano, Giggs, Terry, Carragher, Lampard... All legends at their respectable clubs...

My overall point is.... That the next time we produce another world class player after Cristiano is gone... I hope he is British. If he is , then I think we will have no problem in loving him for his whole career like Rooney etc... We would undoubtedly have no problems with the player understanding the culture of English football and what it means to wear the United jersey and play in front of the Stretford End... Hopefully, we will be able to produce a Steven Gerrard/ Ryan Giggs sort of player that will give his ultimate loyalty to the club and give 100% game in game out. It is certainly one of my dreams that United can in the future produce a world class talent that is from Britain or Ireland that can become a future Ballon D'Or winner without his own fans calling him a **** etc... I know the idea sounds great and all, but the main problem is harvesting a young English players talent to become a great. Who could it be ??? Could it be Danny Welbeck, Ravel Morrison etc.... One things for sure, it would be great to have a player that we could collectively love unlike the Ronaldo situation at the moment...

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Great great great post Berba08 :)

and i agree 100%

Rooney can be our superstar but there will always be a foreigner who picks the superstar tag before him

lets hope Danny Wellbeck is the player we have been waiting for

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
for me it will be Welbeck or Ravel Morrison who seems to have the lot and seems to be an English Ronaldo from the little ive seen of him

·
Registered
601 Posts
if rooney keeps his temper under control he will be not just man utd superstar, but england, like when he made his name. But i think if Evra was a winger, evra would be much more appreciated by non man utd supporters. Berba is a player who wont get any worse, if berba coninues to improve, i think rooney and berba will be the superstars at OT.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I've been totuing Welbeck as the next big thing for over a year now since I saw him in a reserve game. He was superb against Spurs too in the FA Cup.

He's the real deal. The Da Silva twins are f**king lethal also. The future is bright!

·
Registered
605 Posts
ravel morrison
but lets not put pressure on the young lad

we havent seen much of welbeck actually but there is every chance he might be the next superstar

agree with most of the post there
i think its more important for the player to understand what it means to be a player of MUFC than being english

there are many loyal supporters in the other parts of the world that support United as passionately as those in england

so as long as the player is loyal to the club,i dont care where he is from

·
Registered
601 Posts
cantos red army said:
look in the acedmy section of this forum and theres a topic on him and watch the vid hes just turned 16 and the boy looks a little bit special
just viewed it mate thanks. yeah another great find. lets just hope he continues to play like that, and cant wait to see him in pl action.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
trikam patel said:
just viewed it mate thanks. yeah another great find. lets just hope he continues to play like that, and cant wait to see him in pl action.
ya hopefully i don't wanna put pressure on him and i think he could be the real deal as it seems Fergie keeping on the down low something similar to what he did with giggs

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
eoininho said:
He's big prospect!

I hope he along with Rob Brady, Macheda, Petrucci and the Da Silva's all come along in a big way over the next few years!
i played in the same Kennedy cup as Rob Brady hes a serious player

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
I hope the next set of fledglings include:

Possebon
Petrucci
Ravel
Rafael
Fabio
Drinkwater
Cleverley

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Great post berba08. Agree with you 100%. I think rafael rooney fabio will be our superstars come 2 years time, well to me rooney already is! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts