Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thats it, thats our problem, harg is a very good dm but he is a saha type of plyr alwyas injured, we should invedt in a world class dm such ax hamsik pr even barry !!!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think Carrick is a more than able defensive midfielder. Of course if you're after a box to box player with physical presence...

What about Steven Appiah?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Lassana Diarra, Appiah, Anthony Annan, i think we lack a precense at times in games but Hargreves would solve the problem if he was fit. I have to say though i think Palacios would be a great signing.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
appiah would come cheap but hamsik si the choice for my...he is th leader of napoli only 21 and he is already class...he wont come cheap i bet aroun 18m..but appaih will do great in jan

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Veloso ? But what sort of dm are you talking about . Is it the mascherano type or Essien type ?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
We have NO problem in defensive midfield. If you look at our team there really isn't anywhere that needs urgent improvement. Hargo and Carrick are both capable at DM.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Could do with a battle really, in the Keane/Ince mold, maybe Daniel de Rossi from Roma would be a good shout, but he is always getting sent off

·
Registered
99 Posts
Who needs a defensive midfielder. The only time that i agree with this makelele type player is when you are playing away in a big game. (That happens maybe 5 times a season) Hargreaves will come back & will give us that option & much more. In my opinion, him & essien are probarly the best in the world at that job. Along with hargreaves, scholes, carrick, fletcher, ando & possebon r quality midfielders. Why do we need another one? All the 6 mentioned can come in & do a great job & they are already settled. Why buy a average player, who will probarly will cost us games & will hinder anderson, possebon etc progression. It makes no sense at all. Last point, possebon can easily be a first-teamer within a few months like rafael at right back. He has it in him as to change games, that is a rare attribute.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
We need Hargreaves back to hover all the pitch and bring an order to our midfield

but as long hes injured we might need another player with the same style

Get FLAMINI :D

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
If you want a deep lying passer, we have Carrick. Or if you want a more physical hassling and tussling type of player, we have Ando and Hargo. And we have Fletcher as a box to box midfielder.

Stuffing more players in the same position will do more harm than good. Moreover, it will seriously hamper Anderson's chance to improve and become a world beater that he could and should become.

Have faith in our players. And have faith in our manager. United will never die.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Nav21 said:
Who needs a defensive midfielder. The only time that i agree with this makelele type player is when you are playing away in a big game. (That happens maybe 5 times a season) Hargreaves will come back & will give us that option & much more. In my opinion, him & essien are probarly the best in the world at that job. Along with hargreaves, scholes, carrick, fletcher, ando & possebon r quality midfielders. Why do we need another one? All the 6 mentioned can come in & do a great job & they are already settled. Why buy a average player, who will probarly will cost us games & will hinder anderson, possebon etc progression. It makes no sense at all. Last point, possebon can easily be a first-teamer within a few months like rafael at right back. He has it in him as to chance games, that is a rare attribute.

This is actually a good post, but the problem is maybe not the player's abiloity but their mentality.

i agree that we have enough central midfield players and that hargreaves was a very good defensive mid at Bayern, but a) he hasn't shown that at United and b) he is always crocked.

Anderson and Carrick are great players, but they both don't seem to be able to boss the centre of the park. Compare to Hargreaves and Anderson at the Emirates last season.

Hargo's running and harassing is infectious and without it, we do seem to lack a definsive midfielder, because Anderson just stands around (mostly) when he doesn't have the ball and Carrick uses his positioning to stop attacks and very rarely puts in a decent tackle or attempts to win the ball off a player.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Nav21 said:
Who needs a defensive midfielder. The only time that i agree with this makelele type player is when you are playing away in a big game. (That happens maybe 5 times a season) Hargreaves will come back & will give us that option & much more. In my opinion, him & essien are probarly the best in the world at that job. Along with hargreaves, scholes, carrick, fletcher, ando & possebon r quality midfielders. Why do we need another one? All the 6 mentioned can come in & do a great job & they are already settled. Why buy a average player, who will probarly will cost us games & will hinder anderson, possebon etc progression. It makes no sense at all. Last point, possebon can easily be a first-teamer within a few months like rafael at right back. He has it in him as to chance games, that is a rare attribute.
great post Nav and I fully agree. Although sometimes I think we lack a bit of bite in
the middle, going out and buying another midfield is silly and out of the question.
I said in another thread that I think Possebon could get a chance playing more
regularly, especially with injuries to players like Hargo and Scholes. I think he
could be that presence, he can get stuck doing the dirty work and play it
forward expertly. I hope he does get a run in the team so we can all see what he
is about, but when he does he HAS to take his chance.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Does anyone know what is hapenning with Possebon, is he injured or not? Since he was stretchered off against Boro there has been no news whatsoever apart from to say that his leg was not broken. I think Possebon has the potential to be a terrific player so I hope he gets a chance, we definitely need a tenacious ball winner in the centre of the park so maybe Possebon will be the man to ruffle up the opposition and show who's the boss.

·
Registered
99 Posts
RedForceRising said:
This is actually a good post, but the problem is maybe not the player's abiloity but their mentality.

i agree that we have enough central midfield players and that hargreaves was a very good defensive mid at Bayern, but a) he hasn't shown that at United and b) he is always crocked.

Anderson and Carrick are great players, but they both don't seem to be able to boss the centre of the park. Compare to Hargreaves and Anderson at the Emirates last season.

Hargo's running and harassing is infectious and without it, we do seem to lack a definsive midfielder, because Anderson just stands around (mostly) when he doesn't have the ball and Carrick uses his positioning to stop attacks and very rarely puts in a decent tackle or attempts to win the ball off a player.

I agree with you, ability of our midfielders are amazing, but the mentality is not there in the so called easy games. fletcher, ando, Hargreaves etc, all seem to be possesed & boss the big games. But in a game against hull for example, some of them think its an easy win & save some of the energy for another game. I would prefer to see every united player give 100% for 90mins for 10 games, then have a rest for 1. But the bright side is that the mentality is something that you can build in the brain with the right coaching. I hate to say it, but the loss of queiroz is having an impact on certain players. My opinion is, we should had keep phelan & rene at ther old jobs & got an assistant with a fighting, never say die attitude. This would have made a big difference in our play. I understand why phelan got the job (cause he knows the club), but an assistant with a fresh approach could have given us another option.

Jazz16, possebon will be given a chance & he will play 10-15 games this season, sir alex will find it hard to leave him out at some stage. I just got to finish by saying, Sir alex is the best when it comes to picking a player on form, & given him confidence to express himself by playing him regulary, e.g fletcher, rafael & soon possebon & fabio.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts