Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Portsmouth player. Chelsea reject. Educated from West Ham football academy. best young english defender as hailed by Redknapp back in his WHU days. had faith in him and gave him a chance to prove himself once more at Portsmouth after his CHelsea move failed to pay off [too much money and pressure].

Glen Johnson did a fantastic job for Pompy against us. He's tall, strong, young , fast, good at defending and can also chip in with attack competently. It also needs to be noted he has been at Chelsea, so must have picked up a few tips from Carvalheo/Terry, and his current mentor was England's best defender at WC2k6 - Sol Campell.

He's had a good football education, has travelled around enough to appreciate what he currently has - a strong unit of team mates and a good manager. He's English [more brownie points in today's EPL]. he showed in the FA Cup he has an appetite for big games and can handle the pressure. He showed he was positionally aware, as being able to track back quickly and head out a goal-bound shot after, in my books is top class defending. He doesn't seem as clumsy as Wessy either. lol

I wonder why no one talks about him and his abilities to play for a big club. We're looking for a Rb, Wessy looks like he wants to go to Newcastle. Glen Johnson is a top class solid Rb.

What are the thoughts of others on his performance against us? I know he was caught out of position a few times but most world class defenders are when Manchester UNited go on the counter-attack against them.

I personally would be delighted if he came through to us. £12m gbp + Lee Martin/Chris Eagles anyone?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh please. not again!!
How many time must I repeat myself. We are Manchester United, the best football club in the whole world & plays the most entertaining style of fluid-passing, high-tempo styleof game. If we are the best, I reckon' we should go for the best.
And that's when Philipp Lahm comes into the equation. Possessing great overlapping runs, superb link-up play, high versatility which enables him to play as a wing-back on either flank and a emergency cover for defensive midfielder....he's exactly what we need now! Get him Fergie!!

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting.I've heard reports of the contrary regarding Lahm. Not that he's a ***** player, not at all, but isn't as good as people galvanise him to be.

We don't need someone who can cover at defensive midfield. we don't need someone who can play at left back though they're right footed. we need a solid, young, classy right back, for now and the future.

Can i ask why you rate Lahm so highly? I've heard his defending is not as good as his attacking is, and does tend to get caught out of position in the bundesliga.

Why would you rather spend a lot of money on a imported player, who will need time to adapt to the physicality of English football, when for the same price as can buy best of the British. Best of the British that also tends to be one of the best in the world.

Your romantic mundane speech doesn't really say anything new does it. We don't even know of Lahms availability, neither do we know of any firm interest in him. Glen Johnson however, did prove himself to be worthy of upper-class performances in high pressured conditions. I don't see why you dislike him really; i think Capello is going to make him our new right back before too long.

better and more experienced than is our Danny Simpson, better defender, good at attacking and counter defending. His (Glen's) game skills armoury seems to be pretty dense to me. More than worthy of a shot at the big time here.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
hmm I dont think Glen Johnson is the answer. Im not sure we even need
a full back, but that depends on Neville's fitness and Brown's contract talks.
Johnson is a decent player and you make good points in his favour but he
is still lacking a bit for me. He ha sa bit of speed over distance but seems to
lack that injection of speed (eg Richards) over 5 yards. I see johnson getting
caught out of position quite a bit, be sloppy enough with passes and not be
amazing at whipping in balls to the danger zones.

You make a good argument but the fact remains that he is NOT United quality...

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
hmm I dont think Glen Johnson is the answer. Im not sure we even need
a full back, but that depends on Neville's fitness and Brown's contract talks.
Johnson is a decent player and you make good points in his favour but he
is still lacking a bit for me. He ha sa bit of speed over distance but seems to
lack that injection of speed (eg Richards) over 5 yards. I see johnson getting
caught out of position quite a bit, be sloppy enough with passes and not be
amazing at whipping in balls to the danger zones.

You make a good argument but the fact remains that he is NOT United quality...
;)

Absolutely Jazz.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fair play. next season is going to be an acid test for him. He should work on those weaknesses. It could however be prudent to remember he's really in his first good top flight season of regular competitive ties. I'm oing to be keepng an eye on his performances for Pompy over the coming year. I#m intregued to see how he will do against the other big teams this season - espesh "Giant Killers" Burnley lol.

·
Registered
854 Posts
ye i tink johnson is the best rb in the prem at the moment. he was always excellent going forward but bit like evra at the start wasn't the best defender. redknapp has turned him into a top defender and i would love if we got him. i was shocked that chelski got rid off him so easily.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I like Glen Johnson a lot. He is imo less clumbsey than wesly brown and silvestre and would be an excellent rb at our club. He has potential to be one of the best rb's in the country and sir alex can certainly make him that. He also has experience at the top level and has played Champions League so it will not be new to him and will not need too much time to adapt. He looks like a good long term replacement for Neville and Wesley might leave so yeah. But I do agree that we are the most popular football club in the world and one of the richest and we can afford big stars and I would love to see Lahm, Daniel Alves, or Micah Richards at Old Trafford playing rb or rwb. Glen Johnson can be the back up like Wesley is to Neville at the moment.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Even if GJ at the moment isnt playing on the level we expect a player to be at Manchester United he can develope his skills here. He'll be 24 in August so he's still young and have potential.

Im not a great fan of GJ myself and I have a list of other players to take the RB-position but I still could concider him as an option.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've always said that Wes Brown is only good as a back-up player at United, he doesn't have enough of the class. That's exactly what I think about Johnson. Brown would (and maybe even will) be a great player at any other decent club (exclude the usual top 4) and he would be a star for any of the worse clubs of the PL (i.e. Fulham, Sunderland). Just like Glen Johnson is a good, solid player for Portsmouth. If he was to come to United, it's too tough of a step up for him in order to make as big of an impact as he is making for Pompey today. Let's not forget his performances for Chelsea, he looked competent, but never good enough while making a mistake here and there. I say no to Glen Johnson.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Simple answer Phil Lahm hes class, agile, and solid.
He provides us with everything Nev's does.

Or Willy Sagnol, hes old-ish but he can still do a very good job and apparently we could get him for as little as 5 million.
*Sorry for the 2 posts*

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I rate Glen Johnson very highly too, but after his torrid spell at Stamford Bridge, I don't think he's going to turn his back on Redknapp and Portsmouth just when he's finding form and almost guaranteed to play every week.

In addition, Johnson has to prove how consistent he can be and I think Lahm would not have to prove that all. Phillipp Lahm's determination, tenacity and ball skills can be witnessed in every single match he plays and that is something that we definitely could use.

I also like the fact that even thoguh he's a right-footed player, he plays on the left for Bayern. If Evra were to get injured he could cover there and Neville or Simpson could play right back.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Lahm, Richards, Dani Alves or Bosingwa! Glen Johnson is good but i honestly don't rate him more than the 4 i've mentioned :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts