Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Not having a clinical striker who gets in behind defenses limits our ability to create chances.

Not having a left winger who is up to scratch hugely effects the rhythm of our play.

And we probably like a Xavi or Fabregas type of midfielder who can play the killer balls through defenses.

They are the only weaknesses I see.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
christianoharleiro said:
err... carrick? scholes? and on a lower/less consistent level - giggs, anderson...?

With Ronaldo not firing, we're lacking that killer finisher.
Lacking consistent wingers (Nani, Ronaldo) - particularly left wing - Park is consistent but isn't a match winner.
Goal scoring midfielder - Paul Scholes doesn't score goals.
Carrick doesn't really put chances on plates for people through defenses, but thats because he does most of his work from deep, so his passes are usually brilliant balls into the wings. Scholes these days doesn't really put balls between defenses either he normally picks the perfect pass to keep possession. Giggs can but obviously he can't be in the team week in week out, and Anderson at the moment isn't doing it nearly consistently enough.

I think part of the problem though might be that, as I said, we don't have someone who is constantly looking to get in behind, so the midfielders have less opportunity to make that killer ball

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
christianoharleiro said:
I disagree about Carrick, yeah he plays more long balls out to the wingers, but he has done numerous outrageous defense splitting passes - my memory is bad so I can only name a couple - a few that stick out are Berba's goal vs spurs, nani's vs arsenal, ronaldo vs newcastle (i think), i'm sure everyone else can name about 50 others.

I suppose Scholes doesn't really do it as much now, but he's still capable of spotting and executing a pass like no other ala Giggs on Sunday. Agreed about Giggs, and agreed about Anderson, though Anderson hasn't exactly had a consistent run in the team, you can't expect anyone to be consistent without playing consistently ala Nani! brrrr too many 'consistants' haha.

I definately agree with your last point, Berbatov hasn't got the pace to do it and generally drops deep anyway. Rooney and Tevez drop far too deep aswell. I've been saying for a long time now that we should try Ronaldo in his natural position as a striker, there we have someone with the pace to run in behind people, a natural finisher, good in the air, and lazy enough to sit on the last defenders shoulder. Last season he basically had a free role and played more centrally in general and bagged 42 goals, this season he seems very restricted to the wing. This would also mean that we have someone on the wing who will help do a bit of defending!

But then, you can't drop Berbatov or Rooney so this won't happen.
Oh don't get me wrong, Carrick definitely has it well within his capabilities, and when in the position to do it he will, but because he is generally employed as the holding player for us he is too deep to be able to do it. I guess maybe if he was along side Hargreaves he could go forward and do it more often.

And with Scholes, yes he can do it, but what he does is control the possession, and he's the best in the world at it, and he knows if we keep using the possession correctly, someone will make the move and a chance will come for us but he rarely makes that all or nothing pass himself.

Yeah you're right about Anderson, I suppose you can't expect him to perform consistently when he's in and out of the team, and is a difficult cycle really, because the more he performs inconsistently the more he will be left out of the team, but the more he is left out of the team the more he will be inconsistent!

And I agree, Ronaldo could definitely be a huge success as an out and out striker, but then we would be really weak on the wings. I guess if we brought in a winger or two we could make that happen.

And as for the strikers dropping too deep, thats their natural game that's what they're good at you can't really blame them for doing that, and quite often it works for us having two deep strikers, but sometimes it doesn't and thats when you need that variation from a striker who gives you the pace off the shoulders off defenders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts