Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard wrighty on talk sport describing jamie carragher as an over my dead body type of player and heard alan brazil this morning saying the reason utd fans will still love rooney even when he does daft things is the same .

Gary neville - Wayne Rooney -Vidic -Tevez all have that same quality at utd .

John Terry and Frank Lampard have it at Chelsea

gerrard has it at the pool .

made me think of players that had the right stuff down the years

Bryan Robson
Smikes
ole

These are the players you want in your side --the ones who will fight for every ball as if their life depended on it .

For me we have always had more of that sort than other sides and should be wary of diluting it with berbatov style players .

One or two is o.k but any more is a luxury .

When we talk about potential signings i think we should look at who has the right stuff above anything else .

So which players would you have in the trenches with you ?

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You failed to mention Roy Keane who was king of them all.
i wanted to stimulate debate ;)

you know what i mean though dont you -the guy who comes off drenched in sweat covered in cuts and bruises who when he loses ball fights like terrier to regain it --- fletcher has it in him for instance .

this is why i would bet on us against a barcelona every time

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
i wanted to stimulate debate ;)

you know what i mean though dont you -the guy who comes off drenched in sweat covered in cuts and bruises who when he loses ball fights like terrier to regain it --- fletcher has it in him for instance .

this is why i would bet on us against a barcelona every time
Id like to talk about past players then....
I have no interest in singling out current players cos most wouldnt make it at United anyway.

Terry Butcher was always one I remember. Always covered in blood and stitches.

Kevin Moran was the bravest of the lot. He had over 100 stitches in his head from collisions. Thats more than any other player ever I would imagine.

Steve Bruce broke his nose 6 times I think.

Vinnie Jones was always a laugh. :D

Iain Dowie always put his head where it hurt. God damn he was ugly.

Nobby Stiles and Bill Foulkes formed a formidable partnership. They were no nonsense players who had no fear.

Jack Charlton, Bremner and Giles were the same at Leeds.

Chopper Harris at Chelsea.

Ill think of more later Hags. Feel free to comment/add to them :thumbsup:

Out of current players, Gattuso is a player I like for his endeavours on the pitch.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Pretty much the entire Leeds team from years and year ago. Dirty feckers they were.

Dennis Law was supposedly aswell.

I wouldn't say Lampard is in that list tho....

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
1. Roy Keane

2. Roy Keane

3. Roy Keane

4. Roy Keane

5. Roy Keane

6. Bryan Robson

7. Roy Keane

8. Roy Keane

9. Nemanja Vidic

and finally...

10. Roy Keane

:)

Rest as follows: Stam, Terry, Gattuso, Cani, Jeremies, Duncan Ferguson, Vinnie Jones, Dennis Wise, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
How about some of the less popular ones? Viera? Materazzi? :eek:

Also Raul & Casillas definitely rate a mention. Even Dudek to a an extent.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
1. Roy Keane

2. Roy Keane

3. Roy Keane

4. Roy Keane

5. Roy Keane

6. Bryan Robson

7. Roy Keane

8. Roy Keane

9. Nemanja Vidic

and finally...

10. Roy Keane

:)

Rest as follows: Stam, Terry, Gattuso, Cani, Jeremies, Duncan Ferguson, Vinnie Jones, Dennis Wise, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney

Swith Keane with Robson then I'd ageee :)

Robson WAS the bravest player I've ever seen.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Great post Hags.

We are talking about players who fight for their clubs no matter what, you can't teach this stuff as it's in the blood.

We have the World player of the year in our hands but he's not the player i would turn to when our team is 2-0 down, he's head would drop and he'd stuke. At our club at present the player i would look to inspire me would be Rooney, he was great against Fulham when the going got tough before wrongly been sent off.
Rooney is our leader. And thats why he is vital to our side. If we are losing 10-0 he fights even harder, he's mind just isn't funcioned to lose and thats what makes Rooney great.

These players are hard to find, and these players will always be loved and respected by their clubs. Hate to say this but Gerrard is one of these players, he won them the CL by been so stubbern. And i'm sure Rooney will do the same for us down the line.

Roy (i can't lose) Keane was the best example of this. These players a dying breed.

·
Gary Neville's love child
4,035 Posts
I know he's been mentioned, but my king of all would be Gary Neville as he would actually sacrifice himself, even his life, if it were for the good of the club, the man lives and breathes United and i for one love him for it. One of the best images i will have from this decade will be Gary Neville kissing the badge against Liverpool, absolute legend.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Gennaro ******* Gattuso!
Just what i was thinking :)

I will also mention Harald Anton Schumacher from the past players.
Maybe most of you know that he was involved in a highly controversial incident in the 1982 World Cup semifinal against France when he collided with French defender Patrick Battiston.

I haven't seen him playing but my father told me that he didn't care about killing somebody or killing himself ;)

But i have seen some clips and it looks like my dad is right.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I know he's been mentioned, but my king of all would be Gary Neville as he would actually sacrifice himself, even his life, if it were for the good of the club, the man lives and breathes United and i for one love him for it. One of the best images i will have from this decade will be Gary Neville kissing the badge against Liverpool, absolute legend.
How I know you would say Gary? You are obsessed :D

Just what i was thinking :)

I will also mention Harald Anton Schumacher from the past players.
Maybe most of you know that he was involved in a highly controversial incident in the 1982 World Cup semifinal against France when he collided with French defender Patrick Battiston.

I haven't seen him playing but my father told me that he didn't care about killing somebody or killing himself ;)

But i have seen some clips and it looks like my dad is right.
ffs:rolleyes: he nearly killed the player. I think you took the thread title too literally......
The lads teeth got knocked out, his vertebrae broke and he lay there unconscious.
The **** of a keeper Schumacher didnt give a shit. He tried to take his goal kick and then provoked the French fans. There was nothing courageous about what he did. ******* coward he was. :mad:
bad call Zoran :thumbsdownsmileyani
for those that havent heard/seen of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3byTNRoxujo

I was also hoping to hear a bit more from the older fans on here regarding some of the names I mentioned in a previous post....:(.. oh well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts