Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Im a big Hargeaves fan. Was delighted he came to the club and
imo was the most important player we signed that summer out of the 4(Ando, Nani, Tev)

He showed his worth last season with his tireless running and workrate and
undoubted skill both in defence and attack.

He did a great job at RB, central & right midfield. He is experienced and versatile
and is one of the most 'Keane like players' we have at United-passion, heart and determination.

Im starting to hear people's grumblings about his injury problems and is he the
'new Saha'? The tendonitis is a problem but we shouldnt be writing this player off at all imo.

So what do you all think of Hargreaves at the moment?

How highly do you rate him as a footballer?

What is his best position?

and is he a first team player or a squad player?

Lots of questions to keep yis going ;)

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Nice post...

And before i start i would just like to say that i too am a big hargo fan and have not written him off yet BUT...

to answer your questions!

what do you all think of Hargreaves at the moment?

At the moment, i think of him as a highly frustrating member of our squad. I dont believe in in players who are fit for a game and then not fit for the one the week after and then fit again for the the week after that. To me that either shows that the medical staff are not working with him correctly or his is not mentally strong enough to get over his injuries. I remember saha never being fit for united but now at everton he seems to be playing games...what are they doing thats different from us??

As a footballer, he is a top class defensive midfielder when he is fit and playing well. Like every footballer, they need games to find there groove but when he started his career at united, he looked top class and if he sorts himself out soon, still can be imo. If he keeps on having injuries, it will effect his game but right now, he is still a top class player imo. You can see he learned so much at bayern, his reading of the game and efficiency was brilliant and him and anderson were really a great pairing against the top teams in the country imo.

I have no doubt in my mind, it is in the middle of midfield, letting our flair players be free and winning the ball back for us, get attacks starting or cleaning up our mess/silly mistakes.

He is versatile and has done a great job at right back when he plays there and also as a right sided midfielder but imo i always have believed in playing players in there natural position and that is hagreaves. Also he can be adopted to right midfleid from time to time when playing more conservatively but its not a consistant position for him imo because he is not a winger. However a great central defensive midfielder is his position imo.

IF he is fully fit and able to play 3 matches a week if needed at 100%then he is a first team member for me.

My preferred midfield would be hargo and anderson still because potentially i think anderson can be a world class player if he is developed right and hargo gives us the solid experienced option.

Carrick i like but he can be outpaced in some big matches and scholes is world class but is too sloppy to play 90 mins everygame now imo because he just does not have the legs for the pace of the game anymore imo. Scholes is more suited to playing CL football imo.

pz!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i rate hargreaves highly and his best position to me is right midfield but he will cover a number of positions to a high standard , i honestly thought the team would be based around his workrate {just like the days of robson and keane } .
but this injury is a shocker and i think we should all be a little alarmed because there ain't really a cure ,at the moment he is struggling to play 1 game in 3 so the midfield will never be settled using hargreaves , i hope his utd carear don't go the same way has remi mose's or colin gibson who were 2 good honest players from the 80's who were damned by injuries and niggles and never got a good run of games going.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nice points Jazz.

I must admit before the 2006 World Cup, I wouldn't have thought he would have been a good signing for us but after seeing him play there and show what he could do, I knew he was a United player.

He's got all the experiance you could want, Champions League Winner at both Bayern and United as well as winning the league in both countries. I think if he gets a consistant run in the England side then he will replace Barry and partner Gerrard at the heart of the midfield.

Anyway, enough about England :rolleyes:

Jazz 16 said:

Lots of questions to keep yis going ;)
I think Owen's a top player who will prove to be a sucess for United in the long run. From his debut v City at Eastlands last year to his performance in the Champions League Final, he was one of our most consistant players and hardly put a foot wrong.

I rate him very highly as a footballer. Many people see him as someone who will work hard and do a job for his team, but I think he's got all that and more in his game. While he might not be the most creative player, he's got a good range of passing, he's quick, versatlie, can use both feet and can snuff out danger on the edge of our box. Also when we have seen him play down the right wether it be at right back or right midfield, he has shown that he put in a terrific cross as well.

I think Owen's best position is centre midfield. That's where he has made his name and the position he knows best. Without a doubt he can do a more than adequate job at right back or right midfield, but by trade he's a holding midfielder.

And finally I think he is a first team player. If he can get over his knee problems then I'm sure he can look at stamping down his authority on a position in United's midfield.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
^^^it would be great if owen was reading these posts, maybe it'd give him some inspiration to get back to full fitness!! Not that he needs it ofcourse, but i thought your post was very good :cool:

pz

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I can see Hargreaves turn into the next O'Shea kind of player. A jig-saw puzzle piece that fits into the picture everywhere. Never going to hold the same place in the team game after game and that'll make him to be a player fans will spit at like O'Shea and Fletcher in a few years when they go on about new upcoming stars or when they want new faces in the team.

·
Registered
736 Posts

He did a great job last season perhaps a better season this time...
Lovely free kick against Arsenal !!! We have added one more a professional dead lock ball master.........At the moment we aint see nothing special this season but he will get more chance this season..I believe he can be better under Sir Alex Ferguson.....

Very damned good footballer......need more "touch up" so he can be better and better......But we've seen him in action at Bayern and did a very very great job.....

Of course !!! Defensive Midfield !!! But no doubt he is a versatile player....Right back and winger and maybe a striker.....

is he a first team player or a squad player?

"?????" Squad player i think

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
he is the most frustrating player at united at the moment because he should be establishing himself in the centre of midfield in the vein of keano and go on to become a legend, but the guy's injury niggles are really hampering that and he can't get a decent run of game sunder his belt.

as a footballer think he's in the last few years gone on to be top draw, there's still more to come aswell now hes in the english game...if he can stay fit .

central midfield for me, in a midfield general role.....gr8 thing about hargo is he's great defensively, but can play a decent ball and is good to have for free kicks and is not afraid to venture forward.

presently he is a squad player but he should be a first team regular who establishes himself in the position for years to come, but sadly at the moment when you mention his name it's all if and hopefully...fingers crossed the guy's at carrington can get him sorted.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was very excited when hargreaves came, i thought he would have been a great replacement for keane because like someone said, he has the passion, determination and like keane the DRIVE. If United are not playing well Hargreaves and keane are type of players that have that extra stamina and drive to get forward and help make something happen. I guess with carrick on form hargreaves has been made to play other positions. But i would rather see hargreaves than carrick, butttttttt carrick is top class at the moment and carrick is more familiar in that role than hargreaves.

I hope he has no more injuries after this.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
- Very.

He has everything you could wish for in a footballer and on top of that a tremendous work rate. He also is amongst the best crossers and free-kick takers in the team.

On his day a world-class player who will run tirelessly and is super dependable.

At Bayern, he was a great defensive midfielder
At Man Utd last season, I was most impressed with him when he played on the right Either at RB or as a right midfielder. I would love to keep him at RB to overlap Ronaldo or back him up whenever Ronnie goes up in search of a goal.

He admits himself that his favoured position is in midfield.

From what i have seen of him since he plays for Man Utd is that he is more of a box-to-box midfielder as opposed to a Makalele-type defensive midfielder.

He should be a first team player, but is struggling with fitness and establishing his best position. If it weren't for his fitness struggles, he'd be playing every week depending on tactics.

The problem is that Carrick's distribution is vital to us, so I think it is always going to be Carrick partnering either Anderson OR Hargo unless we keep playing the tactic against Blackburn.

The best thing that could happen to owen Hargreaves is for his tendonitis to disappear and for Fergie to keep playing the system we played against Blackburn.

Berbatov

Rooney - - - - - - - Ronaldo

Anderson - Carrick - Hargreaves

Evra - - - Vidic - - - Ferdinand - - - Brown

Foster/VDS​

·
Registered
854 Posts
How highly do you rate him as a footballer? I think he's a good footballer but in terms of our squad I think there's better in his position. He had an average 1st half to the season b ut showed what he was capable of when played on the right in the closing end to the season.

Advantage is he's quite versaitile plays CM, RM, RB. However, with Neville, Rafael and Brown at RB he won't be needed there. And there are a long list of players ahead of him in midfield imo. The fact that he is injury prone is not helping. I like his attitude but atm I see him as a squad player instead of a 1st team player.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts