1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Platini's U18 plan agreed
Uefa want transfers for Under-18s banned
Sky Sports | Football | Premier League | News | Platini's U18 plan agreed

Uefa chief Michel Platini has seen his plans to ban transfers for any player under the age of 18 supported by clubs, leagues and associations.

Platini wants international transfers involving players under 18 banned and at a meeting of the Professional Football Strategy Council in Switzerland, his plans were given the thumbs up.

The Professional Football Strategy Council is composed of elected representatives of the associations, clubs, leagues and players from throughout Europe, and advises Uefa's Executive Committee on issues of strategic importance for European football.

Fifa also has an observer on the panel, and Platini's ideas were, in principle, agreed to.

Pleased

"The question of minors is above all a moral and ethical issue - we have a duty to take concrete steps to protect young players and training clubs," said Platini.

"I am delighted that the key stakeholders of the European football family have a common view on this major subject and I welcome the signature of this important resolution."

Although football's big hitters have agreed to Platini's plans they will now need to be ratified by the European Union, who at the moment only have a limit of 16 for legal cross-border transfers.

European Union sports commissioner Jan Figal has said he would ask for all 27-member nations to back proposals, if Platini could provide evidence that it would put an end to exploitation of young footballers.

- What a crock of shit. If Platini were so concerned about morals and ethics why don't UEFA make it compulsory for sporting good manufacturers to provide kits and boots that are certified child labor free?

If a 16 year old European can work anywhere in Europe, why not work as a footballer anywhere in Europe?

What exploitation of young footballers? They get to train at the best clubs and get paid more than many corporate executives. David Petrucci earns 95,000 pounds a year and is a U18 player.

How exploited does he feel?!?!?!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
RedForceRising said:
- What a crock of shit. If Platini were so concerned about morals and ethics why don't UEFA make it compulsory for sporting good manufacturers to provide kits and boots that are certified child labor free?

If a 16 year old European can work anywhere in Europe, why not work as a footballer anywhere in Europe?
Actually for once I agree with Platini on an issue. I look at players like Pique & Rossi & you have to ask.

What was the point in us buying them? They show promise. We buy them. They play for our reserves.

Then they move on having gotten little or no first team experience.

I mean I personally think we robbed Parma of a top striker & worse we didn't even use him.

If a Parma fan said that to me I would have no reply because they'd be right.

It was just a plain odd/stupid move on our part. I hope we don't steal Petrucci from Roma.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Errr... Petrucci is already ours unless I'm mistaken.

As for this ban on U18 transfers, I agree with it. I think the reason why clubs are agreeing with this is because in England, you can sign a professional contract with a club at 17 (or is it 16). On the continent, you have to wait until you're 18. That was the loophole that allowed us to sign Pique, Rossi, etc, and Arsene to sign Cesc from Barça. Cesc left for Arsenal without giving Barça a chance to sign him, but if this rule was to go into effect, Barça would have the ability to keep him, or if he doesn't want to stay, at least get compensation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts