Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is simply- has Park reached the pinnacle of his career in terms of his ability; is there any more to come or is what we see now the most we are going to get from him?

Personally i have a lot of time for what he does for us and can appreciate what he offers, not nescassarily in every single game- there are games when other would be better suited , but overall i think he is a massive plus for us on many levels.

However the guy has his critics and deficiencies in his game do sometimes come to the fore and let us down when we need them most- the number of times he has found himself in front of goal and wasted the opportunity spring to mind, or when we lack that bit of creativity and need some magic park is not going to be the man to provide it or lift the team in that way. His honest down to earth industry , tenacity and doing the basics really well lets other more skilful and extravavgant players do there thing in other areas while we know we have someone dependable working along side them who will work the opposition and complement our game both going forward and when the opposition have the ball.

I was wondering though, given he is 28 and at that ‘ peak’ age in terms of a professional is he now at the top of his game, is this as far as he will progress or is there still more to come from him?? Since he has been here his game has improved and areas of the game he needs to work on have been enhanced by playing with such great players alongside him and playing at the premier league level. Generally in all areas he is good and offers something but can ‘ good’ be improved on and made into very good or great and can the areas where there are still problems be brought up to scratch or has he reached his natural level and his game going to stay on this present plateau??

He will never get the praise some flair players earn, he will never be a game changer or amaze people regularly with out of this world skill, but what he does he does well and every team/ squad needs a player like him around. Other players success on the pitch often comes from players such as him whose unsung role lets the other great players get on with being great.

But can he elevate his game anymore and improve his weaknesses or at the age he is now is he at his natural peak and should we just accept him as he is now and make sure we get the best out of him as we do at the moment without trying to turn him into something he isn’t, or is there something more to come

·
Registered
553 Posts
When i see Park on the team sheet i feel confident. Alongside Rooney he was the only player to give Liverpool a good go. He doesn't have a big ego and is a real player if you like, he will play Real Madrid like he will play Nottingham Forest and i love it.

I hope he gets better or develops an eye for goal. In my opinion he shouldn't start every single game, he is doing great as he is now.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
After a few seasons with United, Park has really arrived and cemented a first team spot this season.

I didn't think I'd see the day I would see him give opposing fullbacks a headache, but he's doing it every week.

However, his improvement seems to be a result of a change in confidence and attitude, not necessarily in technical ability. I do not see any improvements in his crossing or shooting for example, so he is very near the absolute apex of his potential.

The only improvement I can see in his game is again an attitudinal one.

If he can manage to stay more composed infront of goal, he will score a lot more goals then he is now, because he gets into some very good positions.

That to me is the one area he is most likely to improve in and quite frankly the only one I can see an improvement happening.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
i think the one aspect of his game that needs improving for him to be a top top player is his finishing our coolness in front of goal he gets into some great positions but hardly ever puts the ball ito the net an example of this is against Fulham when he missed from about 5 yards out and then swazer(sp?) stopped Rooney :(

i think if he improves those he would no longer be considered by most people a squad player and our best left winger because at united to be a winger you don't necessarily have to be a good crosser of the ball as we haven't got a big giant up front who gets his head on everything we tend to play through teams with our passing!

so i think there is still more to come from 3 lung park if he could just improve that bit of his game he will be an amazing player for us :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
The only improvement I can see in his game is again an attitudinal one.

If he can manage to stay more composed infront of goal, he will score a lot more goals then he is now, because he gets into some very good positions.

Nail on head! Thats where he can improve. Lets hope he bags a few more goals cos he sure gets into the right positions does Parkie.

This thread would not be complete without my favourite United song!!

check out the fella in the vid :D its the crazy man lol.

·
Registered
238 Posts
yh i fort berba would always be in there scoring headers but he just drifts about lol all our wingers just cut inside and sumtimes when the opposition show them on the outside were screwed

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
yh i fort berba would always be in there scoring headers but he just drifts about lol all our wingers just cut inside and sumtimes when the opposition show them on the outside were screwed
yeah, thats the downfall of been a pure footballing team imo but still who are we to commplain when were still having succses without crosses but we need a at least one good crosser of the ball for corners so we can get the best out of vidic when he comes up and we have got that this season :thumbsup:

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I think Park has really stood out in this last few games. When things weren't going well, Park stood up to be counted, I genuinely appreciated that attitude as I'm sure many of you did too.

However, I still don't see him as good enough to be our first choice left winger and I think someone will definitely be brought in in the summer with a bit more quality. If we're honest his passing, shooting, and general ball control are pretty poor. However, players like Park, who don't complain when they're in and out of the team, and always give their everything, are invaluable as squad players and he's fully deserved the praise he's got recently.

What he does bring to the team when he plays is boundless energy, determined attitude, dynamic movement and a genuine enthusiasm. But I think because of his poor technical skill his team mates are reluctant to pass to him when he is the screamingly obvious pass which disrupts our rhythm in attack. But as I say, its great to have someone like that to step into the team when the 1st choice player is unavailable or needs resting.

By the way Canto "three lung Park" - legend!

·
Registered
238 Posts
yh giggs is good on corners i bet if u looked it up all vidas goals come from gigges corners
rooney corners no good
nani corners no good
carrick corners ok

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I hope he has goal scoring to come , that is all that is missing from his game an end product , otherwise ji three lungs park is a very good squad player

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
To answer the question, no i dont think Park has reached his fullest ability. In order for us to see that, he has to start playing for the first team more often than now. Still, with no offense to Nani, with the amount of chances he had, i can see why he was chosen ahead of nani. His overall play remind me of Tevez and Rooney, another headless chicken in the house which always a good thing. What i notice this season about him is his improvement in his consistency level compared to last season, this may be i think he got more chances than he did the last time?

One thing that i like to see from him is some skill of dribbling. Well we have that in Ronaldo and we have that in Giggsy, even Nani can do it too at times but i've yet to see the typical winger type of dribble and tricks from him so far. He to me is too direct with his approach. Scoring goal is secondary seeing the fact that he is a winger, i would rather he have more assist to his name but of course improving on his goal scoring can always benefit us.

This remind me of an article sir alex was quoted to say leaving him out for the CL final is the most difficult things to do. Showed how highly he think of him.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
I personally think park has reached his potential to be honest, what he can improve is in the minimum in my opinion but no doubt he is a hard worker and somebody who without much attention makes a difference when on the pitch.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
park has realy been up there for a while. he has reached an age that should be the peak of his career. I realy think this form will continue for another 2 years. I don't think will see realy much improovement on the guy, but he's done realy well when he was played. I realy would love to see him score more often. Anyway, as I said, he has reached i guess the peak of his career. It will be interesting to see, how long he'll stay up there. Good job Ji and good luck from now on!:first:

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
This is park at his best imo. I dont think ive ever seen him play so ...'well' i guess. I still think he lacks any natural composure in front of goal and he cannot cross. He is good at short passes i triangles and such and obviously his running as we all know but he lacks end product and his touch if its not a short pass if often to heavy or light, its not ever perfect. Good squad player to have but in terms of potential, this is the very peak of it imo.

As said, improvements to his scoring and assists would be great but i dont see him improving much on it to be honest.

pz

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
This is park at his best imo. I dont think ive ever seen him play so ...'well' i guess. I still think he lacks any natural composure in front of goal and he cannot cross. He is good at short passes i triangles and such and obviously his running as we all know but he lacks end product and his touch if its not a short pass if often to heavy or light, its not ever perfect. Good squad player to have but in terms of potential, this is the very peak of it imo.

As said, improvements to his scoring and assists would be great but i dont see him improving much on it to be honest.

pz
What he said in those exact words

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
for me park has his his natural peak in terms of his general game...his deficiencies are there for all to see and the longer it goes on it doesn't seem that he or the coaches can get these areas improved. always said his finishing is amongst the worst at the club-despite the fact he gets himself in some fantastic posistions and for a winger his crossing is pretty low down the list of his skills, instead of geting good crosses in he always seems to try and cut inside or work a one-two with someone

1 - 20 of 22 Posts