Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 2655 Posts

·
Manchester Is My Heaven!
40,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In Sir Alex's press conference this morning he was asked about youngsters, aswell as praising Cleverley, Anderson, Fletcher and Carrick, he had this to say about Paul Pogba: "And we’ve got a young boy Pogba who's showing great promise for us. He came on in a couple of games in terms of progress with the youth team, we’re quite positive about him." He was then asked about giving Pogba his chance "I mean if we hold Pogba back, what’s going to happen? He’s going to leave. You know, in a couple of years’ time when his contract is going to finish. So we have to give him the opportunity to see how he can do in the first-team and he’s got great ability, plus he’s got the physique and athleticism."

Hopefully this season will be Pogba's chance to prove what he can do in the first team. Since we bought him from Le Harve he's progressed through the U-18's and Reserves, and helped the Academy win the Youth Cup last season. And was amongst one of the best performers, during the run. He also got a run out in Paul Scholes' testimonial, and looked ready to make the step up.

Other threads about Pogba:

ACADEMY: The Paul Pogba Thread

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/academy/27620-academy-v-crewe-10-10-2009-a.html

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/26551-manchester-united-could-face-similar-transfer-ban-chelsea.html

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-chat/27185-united-bribed-pogbas-parents-flowers.html

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/transfer-talk/22309-paul-pogba.html

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/academy/27788-academy-paul-pogba-thread.html

Check out this goal against Fleetwood Town:

His best goals:

Some of his best bits from last season

Best of luck, Paul. :cool:

·
Juventus fan
17,446 Posts
I bet it's promising for Pogba but really anyone who expects him to play a big part this season eat up Fergie's words too easily.

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,243 Posts
Was singing his praises to a few friends of mine recently, the lads a bit of a beast, could go on to be a really good player for us, depending on his attitude though. Looking forward to seeing him get some cup games etc

·
Manchester Is My Heaven!
40,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bet it's promising for Pogba but really anyone who expects him to play a big part this season eat up Fergie's words too quickly.
Not expecting him to have a massive impact, but will be nice to see him involved in the league cup and FA Cup. If he doesn't manage 3/4 first team appearances, I'd be disappointed.

·
Registered
26,222 Posts
10-12 games for the first team this season, please.

I still think he needs a run of games for The Reserves though. He hasn't played many games at that level. He dominates at youth level.

I really hope Morriosn makes a few appearaces as well. If both Pogba and Morrison fulfill their potential, along with Anderson and Cleverley, we'll be spoiled for choice in midfield.

Ferguson obviously realises the potential in these players, which is probably why he's not willing to spend so much money on Sneijder. It's risky, I know, but he's always been a risk taker.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd say the idea at the start of the season will be to give him a chance in the Carling Cup or FA if we get drawn against lower league opposition, but its up to him then. If he comes in and does really well and makes an impact he will be given more chances. That's always been the way at United, if you're good enough you're old enough. This boy has so much talent would love to see him break through this season, but realistically can't see him establishing himself before next season at the earliest.

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,243 Posts
I'd say the idea at the start of the season will be to give him a chance in the Carling Cup or FA if we get drawn against lower league opposition, but its up to him then. If he comes in and does really well and makes an impact he will be given more chances. That's always been the way at United, if you're good enough you're old enough. This boy has so much talent would love to see him break through this season, but realistically can't see him establishing himself before next season at the earliest.
The main thing for me is that it's Cleverleys big chance this season. I think Pogba could wait a while or maybe even go out on loan, although I really do hope he gets a few games and a chance to see if he can make the step up yet or not

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
I'd like to see Pogba getting few games here and there, Carling cups, FA cups, dry Champions league group games and cameo league matches appearances. As well as playing regularly for the reserves. Next season, loan him out to a Championship or a Premiership team, where he should break in, and roughen up a bit more.
Or, give him cup games and reserve till January/February, then loan him to a Championship club, then next season give him a full loan at a premier league club and the season after he'll be more than ready for United.

S

·
0 Posts
Not expecting him to have a massive impact, but will be nice to see him involved in the league cup and FA Cup. If he doesn't manage 3/4 first team appearances, I'd be disappointed.
Same here, pleased he's stepped up a level but i don't expect him to have a big impact on our league challenge this season. Will be interesting to see how he does against bit better opposition players though.

6 appearances in the league i reckon with a few Carling Cup and FA Cup games as well.

Fergie will start him against WBA on sunday. ;)

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I hope he gets a few games! but he is still very young and will probably have to wait another two or so years to really break through.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Good to hear:

Manchester United Official Web Site - Sir Alex Ferguson to promote Paul Pogba

Boss set to promote Pogba

Sir Alex has revealed he is promoting Paul Pogba to the first-team squad after being impressed with the FA Youth Cup-winning midfielder.

The 18-year-old Frenchman replaced Paul Scholes in the Reds legend's testimonial against New York Cosmos and is in the manager's thoughts ahead of the new season. The youngsters at Old Trafford have ensured the manager is in a relaxed mood about his squad ahead of the transfer window closing at the end of the month.

"We've got Darren Fletcher to come back," explained Sir Alex. "Michael Carrick, who tends to develop more around November/December. And we’ve got a young boy Pogba who's showing great promise for us. He came on in a couple of games in terms of progress with the youth team, we’re quite positive about him.

"I mean if we hold Pogba back, what’s going to happen? He’s going to leave. You know, in a couple of years’ time when his contract is going to finish. So we have to give him the opportunity to see how he can do in the first-team and he’s got great ability, plus he’s got the physique and athleticism.

"He is a possibility so, when you take that roll call of players you know, I’m certainly not looking to add anybody. I’ve been saying that for weeks, but you’ve all been writing differently, you’ve all been writing about how I’m going to buy this one, I’m going to buy that one but we’ve said nothing, I’m carrying on with business."
At the end he also reiterates the fact that we are not looking to add any more players to squad.

1 - 20 of 2655 Posts