Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would just create this thread to post my thoughts about Danish football and players, so I'm not as annoying. ;)

The best Danish team ever was the national team from the World Cup in 1986 with big stars such as Michael Laudrup, Preben Elkjær Larsen, Allan Simonsen, Jan Mølby, Søren Lerby, Morten Olsen, Frank Arnesen etc.

This team was rated as one of the best sides ever. Read this article if you want to know more about it - actually a fantastic article:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/oct/13/forgotten-story-denmark-1980s

Some trophies and honours to players:
Euro 1992
Confederations Cup 1995
Allan Simonsen -
Ballon d'Or winner, 1977
Michael Laudrup - Best foreign player in Spain in the period 1974-1999, best player in Denmark, 1982 and 1985. Player of the year in Spain, 1992, 1993. Best Danish player ever, 2006.

Topscorer for the national team:

Poul "Tist" Nielsen - 52 goals in 38 games.
Jon Dahl Tomasson - 52 goals in 112 games.

Biggest victory: Denmark 17 - 1 France, 1908 in London.
Biggest defeat: Denmark 0 - 8 Germany, 1937 in Breslau.

At club level, Brøndby IF made the semi-finals in the UEFA Cup in 1991 and lost to Roma, due to a Rudi Völler goal in the last minutes.

FC Copenhagen qualified for the 1/8-finals in the Champions League in 2010-2011 and lost to Chelsea.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
"this team was rated as one of the best sides ever"

By you, perhaps.

Rest of us are stuck all the way over on planet earth, where reality occurs

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
16,031 Posts

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh wait, theres a news story from a shitty newspaper about it?

Hey look, first sentence, THEY WON NOTHING, but......

Meanwhile, on planet earth, the rest of us carry on not caring
Well, I just thought it was good to know more about football history for some of you. I like reading in the Airtricity (Irish league) thread and the Ireland+England thread too

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,919 Posts
Well, I just thought it was good to know more about football history for some of you. I like reading in the Airtricity (Irish league) thread and the Ireland+England thread too
I thought it was a good read. Nice to see a well put together post :thumbsup:

·
Banned
708 Posts
I was living in SE London when Simonsen somewhat surprisingly arrived arrived at second division Charlton. Like a lot of people, I went out of interest to see this 'world star' who had been displaced at Barcelona by Maradona. Never have I seen someone so out of place - he was so much better than the dross surrounding him, it was embarrassing. The honeymoon only lasted a few months before Charlton ran out of money.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was living in SE London when Simonsen somewhat surprisingly arrived arrived at second division Charlton. Like a lot of people, I went out of interest to see this 'world star' who had been displaced at Barcelona by Maradona. Never have I seen someone so out of place - he was so much better than the dross surrounding him, it was embarrassing. The honeymoon only lasted a few months before Charlton ran out of money.
Nice story, which game did you see, if you remember?

·
16,031 Posts
Same here, difference being i recognise quality first, rather than nationality...

Come on, if you toned down some of your claims, people would take you a hell of a lot more seriously...

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same here, difference being i recognise quality first, rather than nationality...

Come on, if you toned down some of your claims, people would take you a hell of a lot more seriously...
Why don't you take me serious?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts