Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assistant manager Mike Phelan believes that Manchester United's clash with Chelsea on Sunday will have little bearing on the title race.

United welcome Luiz Felipe Scolari's side to Old Trafford looking to close the gap on the West Londoners to one point, although the Red Devils have two games in hand on their title rivals.

The Blues' indifferent form of late has seen them win just two of their last seven Premier League games, taking ten points from a possible 21 on offer.

United will be looking to capitalise, but despite their seven-game unbeaten league run the champions have managed to score just four goals in their last six league outings.

"Chelsea are going well, they have some great away form but we're at home, it's a terrific game coming at the early part of the year," Phelan told Sky Sports News.

"Nothing will be decided from this game, that's for sure other than three points."

United have the chance to win five trophies this season with the club looking to add the Carling Cup, FA Cup, Premier League and UEFA Champions League to the Fifa Club World Cup they lifted in December.

But Phelan is quick to play down such lofty ambitions.

"That's getting a little bit ahead of ourselves," he added.

"We are still in everything and that's the aim for this football club to win everything. The first part of the season has been done, now the second part and there is a lot to look forward to.

"We have tried to introduce new players in the games, I think the crowd are reacting to that. The supporters are in favour of that and we have got some good games coming up.

"There is lots to play for but there is a large amount of time before May comes along."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4749837,00.html

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
I guess he's right in a way,at first glimpse i thought he was saying it wasn't important which would be ridiculous,but unlike previous seasons,Chelski are dropping points left right and centre.That 10/21 stat is quite unbelievable!!This is a massive game for us if we win it,not only points wise,but it sets a precedent for the big clubs coming to OT to beware,tbh id take a loss against these if it was in return for a win over the dippers

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
it's part of the mind games, to take the pressure off the players. it's usually sir alex doing it, but i trust we'll get a bit of psychological stuff in the friday press conference.

but, it's true, it's not the be all and end all, if they beat us, they are 7 points away, with us 2 games behind. that wouldn't be a catastrophe, but obviously not ideal.
points wise, the game isn't massively significant, but as mentioned above by Rooneys temper, it would be more important to send out the message to the other big clubs (they should know after last season) that at home we are a different proposition, and even though they all took points off us, we can still do them when they come to us

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think thats rubbish tbh. In fact I'd fancy the winner of the game to win the league. A draw and Liverpool will be laughing. I think if we win I'd rule Chelsea out. If we lose, I think it will be close but we'd give Chelsea the momentum. If we drew I'd be worried about the unthinkable.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
well i don't totaly agree with him. This is game is realy important cause we play against of one of our candidates for the title. But he's write in one thing and that it's still not an end if we don't win, but we shouldn't loose it either. So a win would be best for us.

·
Registered
734 Posts
we have got to win i know its only half way in the season but every point counts and taking points off of our rivals is even more important, this year could really come down to a 1 point league win.

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Play it down all he wants but if us and Chelsea draw and Liverpool win then the scousers are going to be laughing there heads off !!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Personally i think we'll beat the rentboys, we haven't really stepped it up a gear the last few games and come Sunday i think we will.:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts