Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FABIO CAPELLO takes charge of his first England game against Switzerland at Wembley on February 6.

And following England's disastrous European Championship 2008 qualifying campaign, the Italian general team managerial maestro has it all to do if he is to restore some footballing pride to 'The Three Lions'.

I heard that Steve McClaren's successor will spring a couple of surprises when he names his squad for the friendly next month.

But I truly wishes to know who YOU want in Fabio Capello's Starting-XI.

For mine, it's right below:

---------------------------------------Robert Green---------------------------------

Micah Richards-------Rio Ferdinand----------John Terry---------Ashley Cole

David Beckham------Owen Hargreaves------Steven Gerrard------Joe Cole

--------------------Wayne Rooney-----------------Peter Crouch-----------------

Peter Crouch: Standing at 2.01m tall, his goal against Croatia was pure class, & he has the best goal-per-game ratio in England's squad currently. While Michael Owen is far too injury prone, yeah he's worst than Louis Saha & England can't just keep on relying on him & prays to god that he will recover in time to play for them. Too me, that's simply ludicrous!

Wayne Rooney: In the likes of Wazza, England have a deep-lying foward/supporting striker that not only can score, yet create goals on a consistent basis for his team. Often station as a link between midfield & forward, Rooney tends to get as involved very often in the orchestration of attacks. Possessing a powerful physique, superb technique & clinical finishing ability, the hugely promising 22 year old sensational teenage starlet's one of best young player.

Steven Gerrard: Nobody can argue that Steven Gerrard's the best all-round football player in the world currently. He can shoot, pass, cross, tackle, head & use both his feet extremely well. Most importantly, he can unleash powerful thunderbolts straight at goal, and score without using any help from deflections at all.(something which Frank Lampard can't do). Also, his great leadership qualities may come in handy for England.

Owen Hargreaves: Hargo's unattractive yet important play often goes unnoticed as he positions himself between the two centre backs and the rest of midfield, breaking up all the opposition attacks before they even start gathering momentum. In this role, he is a part of the defensive unit for both club and country. He's extremely useful at helping to defend against opponents who play a long-ball game because he often man marks the opposition's attacking target-man. This cuts off the opposition's supply to the strikers, and thus forces the long-ball team to play through the midfield, something to which long-ball teams are not particularly suited with. He will be a vital asset to 'The Three Lions'.

David Beckham: Yeah at 32, he may be ageing. But let me ask you, who's a better crosser or free-kick taker(besides Juninho Pernambucano) than 'Golden Balls'? Becks superior ability & sharp, eagle-eyed vision allows him to whipped in crosses with pin-point accuracy for his team-mates is a valuable asset to any team in the world.

Joe Cole: A very tricky player for defenders to come up against with, Joe Cole possessed electrifying pace, blistering runs, superb technique & the ability to run at opponents while cutting through the middle park and fire powerful shots from outside the box, will be a real handful for goalkeepers too. He's the only player besides Stevie G & Wazza who can change the game for England.

Micah Richards: Displaying great maturity beyond his age, the 19 year old defensive ace who's exceptionally versatile alows him to play anywhere at the back 4 position. His excellent air prowess comes in handy as a goal threat during set-pieces. Couple that with tenacious takling ability, explosive pace, great physical strength, Mickey can be groom into one of the greatest defenders in the world in the near future.

Rio Ferdinand: Rio's superb ability to read the game exceptionally well is both a distinct advantage & rare case for centre-backs in recent times. A world-class zonal man-marker, Ferdinand possessed more than just rudimentary footballing skill, enabling a more possession-oriented playing style. Usually remain in the half of the field that contains the goal they are defending, he will often go forward to the opposing team's penalty box when their team takes corner kicks or free kicks, where scoring with one's head is a huge possibility.

John Terry: One of the best centre-backs in the 21st century, JT concentrate less on ball control and passing, preferring to merely clear the ball in a "safety-first" fashion which highlights his no-nonsense defending style of football. His sheer determination, never-say-die attitute, perfect timing in tackles, powerful physique and ever-reliability makes him one of the most feared stoppers. Possessing great leadership qualities and chipping in with his own fair share of goals as a defender too, he's the main reason why Chelsea maintain it's unbeaten streak at Stamford Bridge which stretches too as long as approximately 4 years ago.

Ashley Cole: 'Cashley' does his main job as a defender exceptionally well. That is, to prevent opposition players crossing or cutting the ball back into the penalty area. A rather adventurous defender compared to others, he's able to provide width team to a team, crosses upfield and defend effectively against opponents' attacks down the flanks due to his great stamina to get up and down the field regularly.

Robert Green: Nothin' to add. :D

If England play this line-up against Switzerland on 6th February, I'm confident that the former will triumph 3-0. Now, tell me who's ur England's Startin' XI, why u choose them & what will be ur prediction for that game. Pls dun gve me a short reply, I spent hours on this thread that I have to leave out on Robert Green cos' I'm damn tired, FFS!

Z

·
0 Posts
James

Neville - Ferdinand - Terry - A. Cole

Hargreaves

Beckham - Gerrard - J. Cole

Owen - Rooney​

David James is easily England's number one.

Neville, when fit is still the best English right back.

Would be a crime to leave Ferdinand out.

Terry should be in there but definitely not as Captain.

A. Cole is a quality left back and better than Shorey, Konchesky etc.

Hargreaves was England's best player at the world cup so he should keep his place.

Beckham's still got it I reckon. Wright Phillips is crap when he pulls on an England shirt so let Beckham play.

Gerrard is miles better than Lumpalard and usually plays well when the rentboy isn't in the team with him.

J. Cole is a goalscoring winger and better than Downing any day.

Rooney, need I explain?

Owen is still a great finisher if he can manage to stay fit.

Darren Bent should be given a chance as well.

Z

·
0 Posts
red_devils4life said:
I don't know why, but I always believed that Jermain Defoe is a better striker than Darren Bent.
Bent has been the top English goalscorer for a while now.Both are good but I'd start bent before Defo just because he has the added aerial threat that England need with Beckham whipping crosses in.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Fabio likes to play a 4-2-3-1 formation as well as changing tactics around i reckon hel have a go with his preferred formation ill go with

Green

richards/neville --- rio --- terry --- cashly

Hargreaves --- barry/open position if hes goin with this

Gerrard --- rooney --- j cole

Crouch/owen

Lampard won't fit into this formation nor is he good enough this could really work only position without a natural player to fill it is the second deep midfielder to partner hargreaves

In reply to red devils 1st comment I WILL ARGUE AGAINST GERRARD BEIN THE BEST ALLROUND PLAYER IN THE WORLD!!!!! Paul Scholes buddy!

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
James

Neville - Ferdinand - Terry - A. Cole

Hargreaves

Beckham - Gerrard - J. Cole

Owen - Rooney

I just swiped Zuco's team because thats the one I would pick too.

On the subs bench Id have:
Green
Lampard
Richards
Bridge
Crouch
Bentley
Lennon
SWP
Young
gaby
Heskey (yes Heskey)

OR a more youthful team with big lads at the back.

Green
Richards Rio Terry Lescott (big lads at the back, good for set pieces both ends)
Bentley Gerrard OH Young
Rooney Gaby

I think Im prefering my new team....

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
Right here we go, Instead of barging headfirst into formations I'll discuss the problems we have at the moment.
1. We have no wide players. Fact.
2. Our midfield is too defensive and much prefers to drop back and help the defence than move forward, often because there is no space because everyone has dropped back etc etc
3. Very few strikers.
4. Our keepers are currently shit, and the good ones have no confidence.
5. Half the first choice players are total arseholes (Gerrard, Cole, Terry) who care more for image and personal glory than the fact they are wearing the 3 lions.

Positives though.
1. We got some of the best Centre Backs in the world.
2. Our defensive/central midfielders are the best in the world.
3. Wayne Rooney
4. Can have any manager we want as were such an underperforming bunch of pricks that things can ONLY get better.
5. Have a selection of players who would sell there own grans to play for England (Rooney and to lesser extents fringe players like J.Cole, Bridge, Hargo etc)

Taking these into account...
---------------------------1*---------------------------
--2Richards-------3Rio-----4Terry-------5A.Cole--
----------------------------------------------------------
--------------6Hargo----------7Gerrard--------------
-------9J.Cole**-----8Rooney------10Young**---
------------------------11Crouch?-----------------------

1* Whoever happens to be in form. The idea of having one solid keeper is unfeasible at the moment and such who ever is doing well in the league and is English goes there. This would probably be between Green, James, Carson or even Foster
2. Richards. Quality player.
3. Who else?
4. Terry, whatever you say he still is better than King or Sol
5. Another good quality player, bit small but proved his worth in 2006.
6. Hargo works his ass off in every game and gives 200% for England.
7. ALSO works hard and really a help when going forward.
8. Super Roon. Best playermaker/attacker in England, in the world? Top 5.
9. J.Cole is a shit version of Ronaldihno, but thats good enough for me. NOTE, can switch with Young to mix it up and mess with the full backs.
10. Pace to burn and has a brilliant cross on him. Sure to deliver plenty of quality balls to big man upfront, not to mention his attacking side, which is quality for such a young player.
11. Big man Crouch. Hold the ball up for the midfield/wingers, get in the air and put them away or just have a shot. The ? is there because he is potentially the weak link in the team. Also there is a lot of pressure resting on him, as there always is in positions where you got no other strikers/mids with you.

Bench?
12* The next best keeper at the time.
13. Carragher. Stop being such a ****. You only ruled yourself out so the manager would beg you to come back and make you look like a saviour. You over estimate yourself. Still, he can play CB or RB well enough.
14. Gareth Barry. Can play for either 6 or 7 or either left back at 5.
15. Gabby Agbonlahor. Can play on the wings OR upfront.
16. Owen? His height could let him down being the lonely upfronter. No doubt as to his shooting prowess but not exactly in flying form for his team. Another potential weak link. Defoe could be an alternative, much the same player.
The next two spots dont really have the functionality of the above 5 but I reckon could get a game or two.
17. Lescott. Good in the air, however showed against Russia that National football might be above him, or was that because he was instructed wrong by the manager since he looked like he was playing as a 3rd CB.
18. Shove another attacker in here, Lennon or Walcott or even a non attacker who is a young and upcoming star ( See, Johnson for City and others like him.)EDIT* Stick Bentley in here. Can only really play on the wing and unproven Internationally and in Europe but is quality for Blackburn.

Instructions.
1. Hargo and Gerrard, dont let anything past you. When you get it, move forward, you both have pace and skill so you can move forward and make some nice little triangles between you two, Roon, JC and Young.
2. Roon you are the play maker. You have some "creative freedom" in the centre of the park which is what your best at. Make some brilliant attacking plays and get in the box late, which is another of your loves, and get a crate full of goals in the process.
3 JC and Young, look for space on the wings and nip either side of the full backs to cross or cut inside and shoot or pass. Worry there defence with your runs and do some damage.
4. Crouchy is the big man up top so always press there defensive line to give your midfield some space. Look for through balls from Roon or anyone else in the midfield.
5. Back four, nothing fancy. Full backs give some extra support on the wings but remember to get back.

I'm guessing im going to get some stick for some decisions but the only one I can anticipate is putting Rooney as an Attacking Midfielder rather than a striker. Reasons.
1. He only plays so beautifully upfront for United is because he works with his Argentinian twin, Tevez. England dont have a player like that at there disposal.
2. His playmaking is top notch, his technical ability, strength and pace going forward and his delivery make him a PERFECT amf choice rather than a striker since he lacks the height to effectively challenge center backs in the air.
3. He cant half whack them in from 30 yards :p

Pick at it all you like, but I KNOW this is the best England formation around.

PS. There is no room for Lampard as we cant afford to carry someone with no pace, no strength and no defensive mentality in the midfield we have. He works well in Chelsea's 3 man midfield as he has Essien and Mikel mopping things up when things inevitably go behind him.

EDIT* Beckham can play at 8 where Rooney plays as he also has top class delivery which could be either to the wings or the to centre forward. I wouldnt play him there against big teams as he has NO pace which would be a problem. He plays in the centre for LA Galaxy so he will not be out of position.

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
red_devils4life said:
I don't know why, but I always believed that Jermain Defoe is a better striker than Darren Bent.
Thats because your right.
Darren Bent was only top scoring English man because every Charlton player knew he was the only half decent one in there team and gave him every pass they could get there feet around. Defoe is a much better player, but unfortunately, not better than Berbs or Robbie Keane.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
- - - - - - - - - - -Robert Green - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Micah Richards - Rio Ferdinand - John Terry - Ashley Cole
David Bentley - Owen Hardgreaves - Steven Gerrard - Ashley Young
- - - - - - - - - - -Wayne Rooney - Gabriel Agbonlahor - - - - - - - - -

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
eoininho said:
In reply to red devils 1st comment I WILL ARGUE AGAINST GERRARD BEIN THE BEST ALLROUND PLAYER IN THE WORLD!!!!! Paul Scholes buddy!
No, he isn't! When does he even know how to tackle properly without picking up a booking & most importantly, when's the last time he scored with his head?! :rolleyes:

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
red_devils4life said:
No, he isn't! When does he even know how to tackle properly without picking up a booking & most importantly, when's the last time he scored with his head?! :rolleyes:
Aye, slower also. But a better play maker by far.

Z

·
0 Posts
Justice said:
Thats because your right.
Darren Bent was only top scoring English man because every Charlton player knew he was the only half decent one in there team and gave him every pass they could get there feet around. Defoe is a much better player, but unfortunately, not better than Berbs or Robbie Keane.
Darren Bent - 31 goals in 68 appearances for Charlton.

Jermaine Defoe - 43 goals in 137 appearances for Spurs.

Need I say more? Ok ok if you insist. Darren Bent has scored almost as many goals as Defoe in half the amount of games! He's a quality striker, good in the air, great finisher and an all round better player than Defoe.

·
has been served
2,949 Posts
-zuco- said:
Darren Bent - 31 goals in 68 appearances for Charlton.

Jermaine Defoe - 43 goals in 137 appearances for Spurs.

Need I say more? Ok ok if you insist. Darren Bent has scored almost as many goals as Defoe in half the amount of games! He's a quality striker, good in the air, great finisher and an all round better player than Defoe.
Don't know what games you been watching but they sure as hell haven't included Darren Bent. Watching youtube compilations doesnt count as watching btw. You know for all the goals he scored, which I gave a reason for, none of them were agaisnt the top 4? So your stats prove he scores lots of goals versus shit opposition when he gets every ball played to him.

[sarcasm]What a real quality[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
if everyone was fit i'd play

..................................james.................................
....neville........rio.................terry...............A cole..
.....................hargreaves......gerrard................
....beckham............................................young
..............................rooney..............................
..............................owen.....................................

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Justice said:
Aye, slower also. But a better play maker by far.
That's what I'm tryin' to say. No doubt, I love Scholesy but him as the best all-round player? Sad to say, he's the best playmaker, not the best all-round. Hate to admit it, but that's Stevie G. :(

Justice said:
Don't know what games you been watching but they sure as hell haven't included Darren Bent. Watching youtube compilations doesnt count as watching btw. You know for all the goals he scored, which I gave a reason for, none of them were agaisnt the top 4? So your stats prove he scores lots of goals versus shit opposition when he gets every ball played to him.

That's the way Ronnie played for us too. He nvr show up @ big games & only score against weaker oppositions when the ball is played to him. Think: Wayne Rooney & Lionel Messi.

Wazza: 5 goals against 'Big 4' if u don't include the goal against Arsenal and hat-trick against Fenerbahce in the UCL.

Lionel Messi: Hat-trick against Real Madrid in the 'El Classico' & another goal @ Santiago Bernabeu when FC Barcelona lost 2-1 last season.

Z

·
0 Posts
Justice said:
Don't know what games you been watching but they sure as hell haven't included Darren Bent. Watching youtube compilations doesnt count as watching btw. You know for all the goals he scored, which I gave a reason for, none of them were agaisnt the top 4? So your stats prove he scores lots of goals versus shit opposition when he gets every ball played to himMr. Insult?

Dunno what game I've been watching to be honest cos I'm bladdered,but......maybe it's one of the 44 games
in the 05/06 season where he scored 22 goals, or maybe it's the 06/07 season where he scored 15 in 35 appearances? What do you reckon Mr. Insult?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
-zuco- said:
Dunno what game I've been watching to be honest cos I'm bladdered,but......maybe it's one of the 44 games
in the 05/06 season where he scored 22 goals, or maybe it's the 06/07 season where he scored 15 in 35 appearances? What do you reckon Mr. Insult?
Hey come on', juz' chill down mate! ;)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
red_devils4life said:
That's what I'm tryin' to say. No doubt, I love Scholesy but him as the best all-round player? Sad to say, he's the best playmaker, not the best all-round. Hate to admit it, but that's Stevie G. :(
still dont think stevie 'silver bullet' gerrard can be described as the best all round player!!!!!

come on he disappears in games , yes he scores vital goals often in injury time hence gets lots of press...

but he NEVER bosses midfield or dominates and influences play, he's simply not intellegent enough like the true greats, Zidane, Keane, Scholes, Kaka, Maradonna these guys would piss all over Gerrard!!!!!! Even Fabregas and Anderson can control games and pull the strings in midfield better than Gerrard...

I'd go as far as saying Fabregas deserves your title of best all round player, the chaps a genius and not a show boat headline chasing muppet like Gerrard

1 - 20 of 40 Posts