Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FABIO CAPELLO takes charge of his first England game against Switzerland at Wembley on February 6.

And following England's disastrous European Championship 2008 qualifying campaign, the Italian general team managerial maestro has it all to do if he is to restore some footballing pride to 'The Three Lions'.

I heard that Steve McClaren's successor will spring a couple of surprises when he names his squad for the friendly next month.

But I truly wishes to know who YOU want in Fabio Capello's Starting-XI.

For mine, it's right below:

---------------------------------------Robert Green---------------------------------

Micah Richards-------Rio Ferdinand----------John Terry---------Ashley Cole

David Beckham------Owen Hargreaves------Steven Gerrard------Joe Cole

--------------------Wayne Rooney-----------------Peter Crouch-----------------

Peter Crouch: Standing at 2.01m tall, his goal against Croatia was pure class, & he has the best goal-per-game ratio in England's squad currently. While Michael Owen is far too injury prone, yeah he's worst than Louis Saha & England can't just keep on relying on him & prays to god that he will recover in time to play for them. Too me, that's simply ludicrous!

Wayne Rooney: In the likes of Wazza, England have a deep-lying foward/supporting striker that not only can score, yet create goals on a consistent basis for his team. Often station as a link between midfield & forward, Rooney tends to get as involved very often in the orchestration of attacks. Possessing a powerful physique, superb technique & clinical finishing ability, the hugely promising 22 year old sensational teenage starlet's one of best young player.

Steven Gerrard: Nobody can argue that Steven Gerrard's the best all-round football player in the world currently. He can shoot, pass, cross, tackle, head & use both his feet extremely well. Most importantly, he can unleash powerful thunderbolts straight at goal, and score without using any help from deflections at all.(something which Frank Lampard can't do). Also, his great leadership qualities may come in handy for England.

Owen Hargreaves: Hargo's unattractive yet important play often goes unnoticed as he positions himself between the two centre backs and the rest of midfield, breaking up all the opposition attacks before they even start gathering momentum. In this role, he is a part of the defensive unit for both club and country. He's extremely useful at helping to defend against opponents who play a long-ball game because he often man marks the opposition's attacking target-man. This cuts off the opposition's supply to the strikers, and thus forces the long-ball team to play through the midfield, something to which long-ball teams are not particularly suited with. He will be a vital asset to 'The Three Lions'.

David Beckham: Yeah at 32, he may be ageing. But let me ask you, who's a better crosser or free-kick taker(besides Juninho Pernambucano) than 'Golden Balls'? Becks superior ability & sharp, eagle-eyed vision allows him to whipped in crosses with pin-point accuracy for his team-mates is a valuable asset to any team in the world.

Joe Cole: A very tricky player for defenders to come up against with, Joe Cole possessed electrifying pace, blistering runs, superb technique & the ability to run at opponents while cutting through the middle park and fire powerful shots from outside the box, will be a real handful for goalkeepers too. He's the only player besides Stevie G & Wazza who can change the game for England.

Micah Richards: Displaying great maturity beyond his age, the 19 year old defensive ace who's exceptionally versatile alows him to play anywhere at the back 4 position. His excellent air prowess comes in handy as a goal threat during set-pieces. Couple that with tenacious takling ability, explosive pace, great physical strength, Mickey can be groom into one of the greatest defenders in the world in the near future.

Rio Ferdinand: Rio's superb ability to read the game exceptionally well is both a distinct advantage & rare case for centre-backs in recent times. A world-class zonal man-marker, Ferdinand possessed more than just rudimentary footballing skill, enabling a more possession-oriented playing style. Usually remain in the half of the field that contains the goal they are defending, he will often go forward to the opposing team's penalty box when their team takes corner kicks or free kicks, where scoring with one's head is a huge possibility.

John Terry: One of the best centre-backs in the 21st century, JT concentrate less on ball control and passing, preferring to merely clear the ball in a "safety-first" fashion which highlights his no-nonsense defending style of football. His sheer determination, never-say-die attitute, perfect timing in tackles, powerful physique and ever-reliability makes him one of the most feared stoppers. Possessing great leadership qualities and chipping in with his own fair share of goals as a defender too, he's the main reason why Chelsea maintain it's unbeaten streak at Stamford Bridge which stretches too as long as approximately 4 years ago.

Ashley Cole: 'Cashley' does his main job as a defender exceptionally well. That is, to prevent opposition players crossing or cutting the ball back into the penalty area. A rather adventurous defender compared to others, he's able to provide width team to a team, crosses upfield and defend effectively against opponents' attacks down the flanks due to his great stamina to get up and down the field regularly.

Robert Green: Nothin' to add. :D

If England play this line-up against Switzerland on 6th February, I'm confident that the former will triumph 3-0. Now, tell me who's ur England's Startin' XI, why u choose them & what will be ur prediction for that game. Pls dun gve me a short reply, I spent hours on this thread that I have to leave out on Robert Green cos' I'm damn tired, FFS!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eoininho said:
In reply to red devils 1st comment I WILL ARGUE AGAINST GERRARD BEIN THE BEST ALLROUND PLAYER IN THE WORLD!!!!! Paul Scholes buddy!
No, he isn't! When does he even know how to tackle properly without picking up a booking & most importantly, when's the last time he scored with his head?! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Justice said:
Aye, slower also. But a better play maker by far.
That's what I'm tryin' to say. No doubt, I love Scholesy but him as the best all-round player? Sad to say, he's the best playmaker, not the best all-round. Hate to admit it, but that's Stevie G. :(

Justice said:
Don't know what games you been watching but they sure as hell haven't included Darren Bent. Watching youtube compilations doesnt count as watching btw. You know for all the goals he scored, which I gave a reason for, none of them were agaisnt the top 4? So your stats prove he scores lots of goals versus shit opposition when he gets every ball played to him.

[sarcasm]What a real quality[/sarcasm]
That's the way Ronnie played for us too. He nvr show up @ big games & only score against weaker oppositions when the ball is played to him. Think: Wayne Rooney & Lionel Messi.

Wazza: 5 goals against 'Big 4' if u don't include the goal against Arsenal and hat-trick against Fenerbahce in the UCL.

Lionel Messi: Hat-trick against Real Madrid in the 'El Classico' & another goal @ Santiago Bernabeu when FC Barcelona lost 2-1 last season.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
-zuco- said:
Dunno what game I've been watching to be honest cos I'm bladdered,but......maybe it's one of the 44 games
in the 05/06 season where he scored 22 goals, or maybe it's the 06/07 season where he scored 15 in 35 appearances? What do you reckon Mr. Insult?
Hey come on', juz' chill down mate! ;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
eoininho said:
still dont think stevie 'silver bullet' gerrard can be described as the best all round player!!!!!

come on he disappears in games , yes he scores vital goals often in injury time hence gets lots of press...

but he NEVER bosses midfield or dominates and influences play, he's simply not intellegent enough like the true greats, Zidane, Keane, Scholes, Kaka, Maradonna these guys would piss all over Gerrard!!!!!! Even Fabregas and Anderson can control games and pull the strings in midfield better than Gerrard...

I'd go as far as saying Fabregas deserves your title of best all round player, the chaps a genius and not a show boat headline chasing muppet like Gerrard
But Fibreglass doesn't know how to head well. ;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Fabio Capello drops Beckham

Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder David Beckham has been told that he will not join up with the England squad to face Switzerland.

Fabio Capello, who is due to formally announce his provisional squad at 15:30 local time this afternoon, apparently had a lengthy telephone discussion with the player last night, informing him of his decision.

But during this conversation, Capello has told Beckham that this is not an international exile, but rather a temporary arrangement due to a lack of match fitness.

Should the former Manchester United man be able to regain his match fitness, then he'll surely earn a recall. That said, with time running out in Beckham's career, this could be easier said than done.

He has been training on a near-full time basis with Arsenal during Major League Soccer's close season, but this apparently is not enough.

However, with the Galaxy set to return to action in spring in an Asian tour, and then their domestic season, there could yet be time for him to return to the England setup before summer.

Beckham has 99 caps, with many speculating that he would earn a cameo appearance against the Swiss in order to reach his century.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
-------james---------

--gary---rio-----terry-----cashley

---------------hargo-------------

cole--------lampard----------swp------

---------------gerrard---------

----------rooney---------------

and you might take a point in zagreb with this one ;)
Rooney as lone-striker?! :eek: :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts