Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pique in deal for Barcelona skipper Puyol

tribalfootball.com - May 13, 2008



Manchester United are eyeing Barcelona captain Carles Puyol.

El Mundo Deportivo says United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is willing to discuss a cash-plus-swap offer involving Gerard Pique for Puyol.

Ferguson has been a long-time admirer of Puyol's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,457 Posts
Firstly, as if Puyol would come to United and agree to go from Captain of Barcelona to United 3rd choice center back.

Secondly, why would they give us a center back who's proven at the highest level and take a center back who has only played regularly for the reserves?

Thirdly Puyol is a Barca symbol as much as Giggs/Scholes/Neville are United symbols.

It ain't gonna happen. Unless Fergie's secretly been suffering from dementia and makes a whole bunch of random signings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
Dlan is right.Puyol is great player but he have no reason to leave Barca....much better than Pique....still...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
never gonna happen. because puyol will not leave barca and he's old too. Pique is a good player but he has done some mistakes. after all he's young and must learn more.
 

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
Joined
·
16,031 Posts
md92h said:
never gonna happen. because puyol will not leave barca and he's old too. Pique is a good player but he has done some mistakes. after all he's young and must learn more.
Namely costing us 3 points against Bolton
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ Then we have a problem when one of them is injured.... brown as cb and hargreaves at rb? That wont cut it in big games .......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
I almost split my sides laughing when i read this. He is a Barcelona Captain, and an intregal member of their side, the new manager sure as hell would not sell him- how the hell do they come up with such rumours?

Some of the players we get linked to make me want to cry & laugh or both at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
Amazing responses from people! Really totally different from my views and thoughts when I first read it...

I liked this idea and Fergie would be very very smart to pull it off...I was surprised that people forgot that Puyol can play right back..? His not only a center back!! He did make his name as one of the worlds best defenders in a right back position and even got the award for best european right back from UEFA in 2002 so no he will not be a 3rd choice centre back - he would instead be our first choice right back so all the people saying its a dumb idea for him to come as our reserve cb got the idea totally wrong imo.

People put the names of Lahm as a right back, but has played as a left back for the past few seasons but do realise that he can play right back and same with sergio ramos who can play centre and right back but failed to realise hat Puyol can play both so yeah I just wanted to inform people of that.

Yes it is true he is the symbol of Barca but so is Xabi and he always is linked with other clubs...to me Barca is the type of club that no matter who the player is, if they get the right fee they will accept the transfer bid and leave it to the player to decide if he wants to move or not - just like Man United do it. It didn't matter if your Ruud, Keane or Becks - enough cash or problems occur and you can leave if a club comes calling. They did it with Rivaldo and Figo so I why can't it happen to Puyol? Every player has his price at Barca imo.

To me it depends on the new coach and what he wants. Does he even want Pique or not. Does he want cash or not. Does he want Puyol or not. Rafa came in to Poo fc and sold Owen asap just so he could get cash and even accepted a transfer fee from Chelsea for Gerrard and they are both symbols of Liverpoo mind you...

For the people who forgot that Puyol has only played 12 times all season this season for Barca and was not even a first team starter because of his injuries and just did not walk back in to the team because he is the captain - exactly the same with Gary Neville and Man United. We did not sacrifice Brown just because Neville passed match fit. We even opted to play Hargo at rb than Neville!

They have enough cover at the back in: Edmilson (cb), Oleguer (cb or rb), Thuram (cb or rb), Sylvinhio (lb/lwb), Zamboratta (rb/rwb), Marquez (cb), Milito (cb) and Abidal (lb) and they would also get Pique and cash to buy new players as they are linked to Lahm and Alves so him leaving and getting replacement is not impossible as some people have suggested. Even without Puyol they can have 2 players in each position in the back four and if they buy more even more squad depth - my point is they can cope without him, hence its not impossible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,740 Posts
I wish theres no chance of this happened Puyol is at his prime at one of the best clubs in europe he wouldn't leave to join well another top club but to be on the bench most of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
Great post Sparkic. Some great points but I doubt it will happen at all.
He is iconic and will stay in Barca and also its a tribal football article,
which basically means this story is BS.
Its a nice idea but never going to happen.
The crazy rumour mill is just going to get worse and worse.
 

·
Proto-Hipster
Joined
·
46,959 Posts
futbol said:
Pique in deal for Barcelona skipper Puyol

tribalfootball.com - May 13, 2008



Manchester United are eyeing Barcelona captain Carles Puyol.

El Mundo Deportivo says United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is willing to discuss a cash-plus-swap offer involving Gerard Pique for Puyol.

Ferguson has been a long-time admirer of Puyol's.
yeah i like puyol very much put not for pique :(
pique have potential to be better the puyol
and also pique is able to play rb while puyol plays cb and vida better the puyol
also rio better than puyol
 

·
He wipes front to back
Joined
·
27,654 Posts
puyol will never feature in such a deal under pep guardiola . zambrotta is far more likely to be leaving along with ronaldinho. deco , eto and henry . of these probable offloads eto would be a great buy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,001 Posts
sparkic said:
Amazing responses from people! Really totally different from my views and thoughts when I first read it...

I liked this idea and Fergie would be very very smart to pull it off...I was surprised that people forgot that Puyol can play right back..? His not only a center back!! He did make his name as one of the worlds best defenders in a right back position and even got the award for best european right back from UEFA in 2002 so no he will not be a 3rd choice centre back - he would instead be our first choice right back so all the people saying its a dumb idea for him to come as our reserve cb got the idea totally wrong imo.

People put the names of Lahm as a right back, but has played as a left back for the past few seasons but do realise that he can play right back and same with sergio ramos who can play centre and right back but failed to realise hat Puyol can play both so yeah I just wanted to inform people of that.

Yes it is true he is the symbol of Barca but so is Xabi and he always is linked with other clubs...to me Barca is the type of club that no matter who the player is, if they get the right fee they will accept the transfer bid and leave it to the player to decide if he wants to move or not - just like Man United do it. It didn't matter if your Ruud, Keane or Becks - enough cash or problems occur and you can leave if a club comes calling. They did it with Rivaldo and Figo so I why can't it happen to Puyol? Every player has his price at Barca imo.

To me it depends on the new coach and what he wants. Does he even want Pique or not. Does he want cash or not. Does he want Puyol or not. Rafa came in to Poo fc and sold Owen asap just so he could get cash and even accepted a transfer fee from Chelsea for Gerrard and they are both symbols of Liverpoo mind you...

For the people who forgot that Puyol has only played 12 times all season this season for Barca and was not even a first team starter because of his injuries and just did not walk back in to the team because he is the captain - exactly the same with Gary Neville and Man United. We did not sacrifice Brown just because Neville passed match fit. We even opted to play Hargo at rb than Neville!

They have enough cover at the back in: Edmilson (cb), Oleguer (cb or rb), Thuram (cb or rb), Sylvinhio (lb/lwb), Zamboratta (rb/rwb), Marquez (cb), Milito (cb) and Abidal (lb) and they would also get Pique and cash to buy new players as they are linked to Lahm and Alves so him leaving and getting replacement is not impossible as some people have suggested. Even without Puyol they can have 2 players in each position in the back four and if they buy more even more squad depth - my point is they can cope without him, hence its not impossible.
Problem there is, most of those defenders are on the Sale list. If Barcelona can get rid of them, they will get rid of them. They're not wanted. They'll be bringing in some new players....and to be honest, their defense really isn't all that impressive in the first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
Not going to happen, it would be like us swapping Scholesy for Andy Reid or something!

we have to try keep Pique, more importantly Fergie NEEDS to give him more game time, we got away without having cover at centre half this year but we might not next year, I'd hate to see him leave then become a top player in Europe!
 

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
Joined
·
2,659 Posts
I found this on the Tinternet, could be fake...

Barcelona have struck personal terms with Manchester United defender Gerard Pique. (El Mundo Deportivo 1337 BST)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top