Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Disclaimer - I first saw this in the Daily Mail and dismissed it, but this one has more quotes, HOWEVER, the article provides no background as to when pique is supposed to have said the below.

I totally believe that some of the current players can't understand Fergie though :D
But would be disappointed about the burgers & booze binging. They're professional athletes and are highly-compensated to eat correctly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...and-burgers-claims-Gerard-Pique-Football.html

Manchester United players are fat due to a diet of beer and burgers, claims Gerard Pique
Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has revealed that Manchester United's players are fat due to a poor diet of burgers and beer and that he could not understand a word manager Sir Alex Ferguson said.

But he insisted that his spell at Old Trafford made him the player he is.

Pique, 21, who moved back to Barcelona in the summer four years after he left for United, said: "It [the diet at Old Trafford] was outrageous. Everyone ate whatever they wanted to eat and when you think about the typical English diet, you can imagine what I am talking about.

"Every fifteen days they would put us on what we dubbed the "spare-tyre machine" to measure our body fat. You would be amazed at how many top players practically broke the machine because their diet was based on beer and burgers.

"I arrived not being able to speak English and I got lost a little bit in the team-talks.

"The gaffer, as Ferguson is known in Manchester, spoke a very Scottish kind of English that might as well have been Chinese as far as I was concerned. But I wasn't the worst – there are players in the current squad who still don't understand him."

Pique rates Ferguson highly, although he believes that the Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola is even better.

"I had only ever lived with my parents in Barcelona. I had my friends from the school and the club. The change in Manchester was very hard. But there are no regrets at all because in Manchester they really turned me into a player.

"Guardiola is the most modern coach I have worked under. He is also the most precise and the most obsessed about the game. It is a pleasure to be in his squad.

"There are thousands of examples of why he is so good. The detail he puts into practice sessions, the information he has on the opposition, the constant motivation."

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Fine by me. Those fat players won the double last year and are 2-time defending champions of England. Let em have a beer or 12.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
This is funny :D Nothing to get too excited about. Still, I heard that alcohol is dropping your fitness by more then people believe. So one beer wont kill you but a few beers and more frequently will set back your fitness a lot. Its a lot of calories in just one beer.

of topic...ish...How many burgers and beers are Spuds players now enjoying since Ramos got sacked. :D

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Well I certainly believe him. I mean there are several precedents. Malouda, Villanueva, Ramos & plenty of others.

They've all come in & expressed amazement at the lack of dieting restrictions present at English Football Clubs.

I'm not saying managers should regulate the diets because that clearly doesn't work in England as Juande Ramos learnt.

However doesn't anybody else think that the players should show more respect to their own bodies?

They're bodies are their instruments more so than anyone else they are dependent on healthy bodies to play at the highest level.

Think about this, if they don't care now that's fine. They will care though after they quit football.

Imagine Frank Lampard when his Chelsea career comes to an end. :D He'll put on an extra 3 stone in a matter of weeks.

If not for their careers then at least for their health. They should respect their bodies in the long run.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I don't get it when people call Lampard fat, he's always looked in shape to me.

But in someways I do think we need to do more - espeically with Rooney as he looks a fiar bit chubbier than he did when he was 18. Normally I would say "whats wrong with a burger or 2" but they are paid 10's of thousands a week so they should be in tip top shape.

Saying that we haven't done that bad with our fatties recently have we?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
what a load of nonsense , players who play in the premiership are fitter than ever . how can we believe people like pique he came to utd to earn big bucks and when he failed to break thru he begins to pick faults in players diets {i always thought he was one of the chunkier ones}.
we are the reigning champions of europe and the idiot is saying we are not fit enough and some of the team can't understand the manager ,well they seem to play for him . i can recall pique saying that he would never go back to barcelona yet where has he crawled back to , and now he is critizeing utds players eating habits ! utd are far better off without two faced people like this fella amongst the staff , it should be interesting if utd play against him one day.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Pique- United stars are overweight

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has claimed that Manchester United allow their players to eat what they want and that some players are overweight.

The defender joined United from Barcelona in 2004 but rejoined his former club last summer having failed to nail down a first team spot after four seasons with the Red Devils.

The 21-year-old was left speechless when he learnt of the diet at Old Trafford and even claims some of the players cannot understand Sir Alex Ferguson's Scottish accent.

Controversial

He told Sport: "At United there were some incredible things happening. Everyone was allowed to eat what they wanted and one must remember that the English diet is just like people say.

"Every two weeks we had to be checked out on a machine that measured the amount of fat we had in our bodies.

"It would be a surprise that none of the players broke the machine because of the amount of hamburgers and beer they had.

"The gaffer, as Ferguson is known in Manchester, spoke in English with a Scottish accent but it sounded like Chinese to me.

"But I was not the worst and there are players still there who do not understand him yet."

Despite this, Pique went on to explain that the move to Manchester when he was just 17-years-old was good for his career.

He adds: "I had always lived with my parents in Barcelona. I had my friends from school and from Barca.

"I was from a generation of players that had won everything at youth level and the change was difficult. It was not bad though, because in Manchester I became a player."

Dream

Pique admits that despite leaving at a young age it was always a dream to play for the club he supported as a boy and he explains he is not the only one.

He added: "Playing here makes me proud. It is what I have always wanted. Few people are such big Barca fans as me and this is my childhood dream.

"But in this team there are many fans of the club, including Carles Puyol, Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Victor Valdes and Sergio Busquets."

Despite playing under the tutelage of Sir Alex Ferguson, Pique names current boss Pep Guardiola as the best manager he has worked under.

He said: "Guardiola is the most modern coach I have worked under. He is also the most precise and the most obsessed about the game. It is a pleasure to be in his squad.

"There are thousands of examples of why he is so good. The detail he puts into practice sessions, the information he has on the opposition, the constant motivation."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4520059,00.html

·
Registered
366 Posts
If my memory serves me right Pique wasn't exactly a waife himself . In fact he looked a bit like Elvis . .............. In the burger years .
Shut up you Spanish git . You had the worst " do it yourself hair highlights " in the world .

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dublin red said:
If my memory serves me right Pique wasn't exactly a waife himself . In fact he looked a bit like Elvis . .............. In the burger years .
Shut up you Spanish git . You had the worst " do it yourself hair highlights " in the world .
:D :D

That made me laugh!

G

·
Ali Hansen is quoted in a paper somewhere someday saying .....
" you'll never win anything with beers and burgers".

Meanwhile Mr Kenneth Kigan is quoted saying....
"I'd love it if we eat them. Love it!" ( no comment about the beers though).

Arse Winger said he "didn't see it coming as they were 12 pints behind at one stage".

Manchester United players were left speechless (but not hungry or thirsty) amid claims some of the players cannot understand Gerard Piques' accent.

Players said, that "he spoke in English with a funny accent but it sounded like Chinese to me, though he was very helpfull in wing wangs chippy".

"But that's not the worst and there are players still there who do not understand him yet."

Brian Biggs is reported as saying " I tried to tell the other players but they would not listen to sense regarding their diet, everybody knows that kebabs and vodka is the way forward"

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
they all look fit to me(except rooney that is:D)they spend a lot at time at the gym to so that would cover up for all the junk food they eat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts