Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
381 - 392 of 392 Posts

·
Just another rainy Sunday afternoon
1,319 Posts
Managed to see the odd 10 minutes after all. I thought it was an alright performance - nothing special and no real spark.

Welbeck is growing and growing. Hernandez is super sub - I'm never confident when he starts. Coming on at 60/70mins, I feel a lot more like he's going to get a goal or two.

Thought Young was good today *grumbles*. He's obviously growing in confidence which is helping his performance.

Evra is making mistakes. He needs a rest or something - he isn't ready to retire just yet IMO, but he can't keep playing and making these blunders.

Thought DDG saved us today - without his saves could have easily been a 3 or even 4-1 scoreline.
You deduced all of that from watching ten minutes?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Unfortunately I think it will have to BE Giggs's decision, rather than Moyes telling him he's finished as a player.

But also unfortunately, Giggs obviously feels he can keep playing til he's about 50.

And yet even MORE unfortunately, as Giggs is regarded as such a God at OT with endless respect and reverence whenever his name is mentioned (even commentators do that, with their 'still going strong' comments when his name is mentioned as if he can go on forever) it's easy to get a horrible feeling he never WILL be told he's finished as a player.

And the very fact he started today in centre midfield, has an ominious feel of him doing the same in the future. That person who wrote that message before is spot on. A 40 year old, whoever they are, should not be starting CM for United!

Our game is Game of the Day on SS1 tonight!
Unfortunately I think it will have to BE Giggs's decision, rather than Moyes telling him he's finished as a player.

But also unfortunately, Giggs obviously feels he can keep playing til he's about 50.

And yet even MORE unfortunately, as Giggs is regarded as such a God at OT with endless respect and reverence whenever his name is mentioned (even commentators do that, with their 'still going strong' comments when his name is mentioned as if he can go on forever) it's easy to get a horrible feeling he never WILL be told he's finished as a player.

And the very fact he started today in centre midfield, has an ominious feel of him doing the same in the future. That person who wrote that message before is spot on. A 40 year old, whoever they are, should not be starting CM for United!

Our game is Game of the Day on SS1 tonight!
Get me his phone number i will tell him myself , it is no use people going on about Stanley Mathews because he did not play for United , it is embarrassing watching a 40 year pretending to be a play maker in C/M but who is not up to the job , he is stopping younger players getting a chance , ask yourself this as well do you think Giggs is better than Anderson in CM ? ,because although i think Anderson has done with us he is still a better option than Giggs .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not a great performance to be fair, but a win is a win. We weren't at our best in Hull (great trip) and you could say the same about yesterday, but we found a way to win both games which is the sort of attitude you need if you are looking at the title. As I say, it was far from a vintage Manchester United performance but the players dug in, rolled their sleeves up and got the job done away from home. United have always been associated with attacking football, but we've always had that attitude as well when it's been required.

Rooney has been pivotal for us over recent weeks, and to have a player of that quality in that form was always going to be a loss. Earlier on this season, I honestly don't think we would have won that game yesterday which is a positive itself at the end of the day. Those sort of wins can often be the most satisfying.

As I say, onwards and upwards.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Not a great performance to be fair, but a win is a win. We weren't at our best in Hull (great trip) and you could say the same about yesterday, but we found a way to win both games which is the sort of attitude you need if you are looking at the title. As I say, it was far from a vintage Manchester United performance but the players dug in, rolled their sleeves up and got the job done away from home. United have always been associated with attacking football, but we've always had that attitude as well when it's been required.

Rooney has been pivotal for us over recent weeks, and to have a player of that quality in that form was always going to be a loss. Earlier on this season, I honestly don't think we would have won that game yesterday which is a positive itself at the end of the day. Those sort of wins can often be the most satisfying.

As I say, onwards and upwards.
You think Rooney´s ready to be captain?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You think Rooney´s ready to be captain?
I can't see it to be honest. The only way you could give the captaincy to a player of Rooney's mentality is to make it long term, and when I say that my first thought at this stage is Phil Jones. I don't know where he will play long term, but he strikes me as the sort who would relish with that extra responsibility. I can see why people would look at Rooney, but there will always be question marks around him at the end of the day.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I can't see it to be honest. The only way you could give the captaincy to a player of Rooney's mentality is to make it long term, and when I say that my first thought at this stage is Phil Jones. I don't know where he will play long term, but he strikes me as the sort who would relish with that extra responsibility. I can see why people would look at Rooney, but there will always be question marks around him at the end of the day.
Know what you´re saying about Rooney, but I think he´s worth the risk....

·
Registered
249 Posts
It was def hard to watch the first alf - if Norwich had a half decent striker we would have been in trouble but credit to moyes in changing it at half time and Welbeck was brilliant - he joined up with the midfield very well and gave us drive to get the winner.

The goal itself was a lucky break but thats life - away win to norwich is always tough (lost last season) espeically missing most of our first team - RVP, Rooney, Valenica, Raf etc having two games in two days is always a struggle but the players dug deep and got the job done - you look across the league - city and arsenal scrapped one nil wins as well - sometimes the free flowing football cannot happen and digging in is all you can do.

Spurs on new year day is massive, we need to put a big performance against a close rival - hopefully rvp and rooney are back although can we drop welbeck? also great to see carrick back.

381 - 392 of 392 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.