Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
461 - 480 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
David Moyes says his side 'played really well' today but were done on the counter attack.

He does realise we were humiliated at home again for the 4th times this season??

If that's not just a public opinion and he thinks differently in private, we've got problems. Well ... MORE problems!

7,375 Posts
Well fuck it. We need to heavily invest in the squad if we want to qualify for the Champions League. We only got going once we were 2-0 down and even then we were not THAT good. Of course Lloris had the game of his life and we missed so many chances but let's face it we are simply not good enough.

Our squad reeks of lack of quality. Center backs being played as right backs only to be replaced by a mediocre winger who cost us the goal, mediocre game changers who have the control of a rapist, quality midfielders being played despite not being ready because of the lack of midfield options, constant obsession with playing a seriously inept left back etc.

Another thing that underlines our weaknesses is the fact that we are playing our one truly world class player in every position imagineable. Striker, support striker, attacking midfielder, winger, central midfielder... Frustrating stuff.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Because this identical squad under a great manager won the league last season.
RVP's goals won us the title last season. He won us about 25 points on his own.
And we were helped by luck along the way and our rivals stumbling at the right time.
RVP papered over the cracks, basically. So many people said we needed the midfield sorting out, we didn't need RVP.
What they didn't understand was that Fergie wouldn't have bought midfield players whether he'd bought RVP or not! Fergie did not buy midfield players after 2007!

I lost count of the times in match threads you'd see comments like "Imagine how good we'd be if we had a midfield'
'Imagine how many more goals RVP would get if he had a midfield behind him'

RVP started off the same this season, but of course he's been injured and the midfield problem is glaringly obvious because of it.
And of course, those rivals all strengthened their squads. We didn't. And that is now costing us.
No wonder some people said Fergie left at the right time!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Manchester United manager David Moyes: "The performance was really good. It was a stonewall penalty kick and sending off for the goalkeeper. I find it unbelievable that the referee doesn't give a penalty kick and a sending off.
"Then he goes and books Adnan Januzai for diving. I find it incredible. People who employ referees are going to have to look at that. Today we played well. We're not asking for anything, we're asking for the right thing. I don't know what's a penalty kick if that's not.
"I thought we defended really well, got done by a couple of counter-attacks today. The boys played well and we couldn't take the opportunities when they came along.
"All you can do is play well and hope you take the opportunities when they come. Their effort was terrific in trying to come back from 2-0 down. We didn't deserve to be behind. We'll keep trying to win the next game, that's all you can do. We're not necessarily looking at the league table."

You know things are bad when the manager bangs on about a penalty we didn't get and seems to think we actually played well.
As I said previously, I hope that's just a public front. Otherwise, we're in dire danger of not even getting into the Ch League lplaces next season. New blood is needed NOW.

That bit in bold - that's what managers fighting relegation say! Though of course we do now have a manager who thinks mid-table. That's another problem we've got!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I hope someone from the club demands an apology.

Didn't a Liverpool player (I think it was Liverpool) put up a picture of Webb once in a United shirt? Didn't he get into trouble for it?

Mind you, the BBC live reporting page is always anti-United. It's in the tone of the people who write things up so Linekar's comment at least fits in there.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Manchester United manager David Moyes: "The performance was really good. It was a stonewall penalty kick and sending off for the goalkeeper. I find it unbelievable that the referee doesn't give a penalty kick and a sending off.
"Then he goes and books Adnan Januzai for diving. I find it incredible. People who employ referees are going to have to look at that. Today we played well. We're not asking for anything, we're asking for the right thing. I don't know what's a penalty kick if that's not.
"I thought we defended really well, got done by a couple of counter-attacks today. The boys played well and we couldn't take the opportunities when they came along.
"All you can do is play well and hope you take the opportunities when they come. Their effort was terrific in trying to come back from 2-0 down. We didn't deserve to be behind. We'll keep trying to win the next game, that's all you can do. We're not necessarily looking at the league table."

You know things are bad when the manager bangs on about a penalty we didn't get and seems to think we actually played well.
As I said previously, I hope that's just a public front. Otherwise, we're in dire danger of not even getting into the Ch League lplaces next season. New blood is needed NOW.

That bit in bold - that's what managers fighting relegation say! Though of course we do now have a manager who thinks mid-table. That's another problem we've got!
We did play well in the first 30mins, we pressed and recovered the ball well, our movement and passing were very good just not in the final third. The second half we lacked any direction and attacking tactics, we needed to bring the ball through the middle and we needed better quality.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

I think Webb got his decisions right, don't think it was a penalty, I totally agree with your comment that we have a manager who thinks mid table, "we'll keep trying" is very passive.

·
M U F C
5,963 Posts
Concentrate on getting in the top 4 this season. Rebuild in the summer. No point in dreaming about the PL title. It's not going to happen this season. Games like today is where we should win comfortably and making possession and dominance count.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Don't wheel that out again, it wasn't that we were good, simply that we were much less bad than City and Chelsea who self destructed.
Exactly. We were also lucky that RVP had one of 'those' seasons.

And I agree. The constant 'Moyes inherited a squad that won the title easily' mantra - as if that made it a foregone conclusion the same squad could do the same again - is so irritating that people keep saying it and not seeing the flaws in what they're saying!

And of course, the other clubs have bought players. We haven't. There are far too many players who aren't good enough.
Nothing has changed my opinions about Cleverley, Anderson and Young. Who all need to go.
And Evra needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me the biggest issue is how Moyes sets up the team against so called bigger teams. Its a defensive and cagey mindset which doesn't help us at all tbh. We have well documented midfield and defensive problems but by using these tactics, we just get teams running at us and today was no different.

Fergie understood this and so send his teams out to attack and attack - it papers over these cracks when you have the ball far from our own goals.

·
Moyes Out
754 Posts
Concentrate on getting in the top 4 this season. Rebuild in the summer. No point in dreaming about the PL title. It's not going to happen this season. Games like today is where we should win comfortably and making possession and dominance count.
Top 4 a big ask because Arsenal apart, we cant beat anyone in front of us

461 - 480 of 511 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.