Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
501 - 511 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
We had the ball enough yesterday and had enough territorial advantage, that we should have won the game. We lost because our quality of passing and crossing was not good enough, we lost because we had nothing in attack centrally, we lost because we defended poorly on the 2 goals, with a makeshift right back costing us the second goal, we lost because we had no one who was able to find that half a yard of space or that touch needed, to put the ball in the back of the net.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Just watched MOTD and have to say the view I had at the game about Webb was confirmed.Two shocking decisions from the supposed best ref in the league , first not to award a pen to us after Lloris took Young out 2 nd to book Januzaj after he was barged down by Rose.
Even Robbie Fowler said Webb was wrong. It's almost as if Webb has heard all the ' agent Webb ' jokes and is determined to prove them wrong.
I have seen pens given for less than Chiricles tackle on Welbeck too.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just watched MOTD and have to say the view I had at the game about Webb was confirmed.Two shocking decisions from the supposed best ref in the league , first not to award a pen to us after Lloris took Young out 2 nd to book Januzaj after he was barged down by Rose.
Even Robbie Fowler said Webb was wrong. It's almost as if Webb has heard all the ' agent Webb ' jokes and is determined to prove them wrong.
I have seen pens given for less than Chiricles tackle on Welbeck too.
I'm on the fence about the penalties tbh, but what I don't like is Moyes's reaction about not getting the calls. these things have a way of evening themselves out over time, the non calls did not lose us the game, our own inability to score and defend 2 easy attacks, was what cost us. We are MUFC and should not have to rely on refeering decisions to win us games. Moyes came across as a whinger in post match interview.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I'm on the fence about the penalties tbh, but what I don't like is Moyes's reaction about not getting the calls. these things have a way of evening themselves out over time, the non calls did not lose us the game, our own inability to score and defend 2 easy attacks, was what cost us. We are MUFC and should not have to rely on refeering decisions to win us games. Moyes came across as a whinger in post match interview.
Normally I hate to moan about the ref but the fact is that the foul on Young was blatant and not a tough decision.Everyone is entitled to fair play.I am also concerned about Januzaj, are refs going to adopt the attitude that every time he hits the deck he has dived ?
Finally one of the greatest football myths going is that decisions even themselves out over the course if a season, they don't .Bad decisions are bad decisions end of.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Normally I hate to moan about the ref but the fact is that the foul on Young was blatant and not a tough decision.Everyone is entitled to fair play.I am also concerned about Januzaj, are refs going to adopt the attitude that every time he hits the deck he has dived ?
Finally one of the greatest football myths going is that decisions even themselves out over the course if a season, they don't .Bad decisions are bad decisions end of.
You are right about bad decisions, however a few years back United were awarded a penalty against Spurs, I believe it was against the GK Gomes for bringing down Carrick, I think it was the last forward run Carrick has made( cynical) it was not a penalty and it helped United win the game, it was a bad decision at the time and it affected the outcome. It was a non call yesterday and probably a bad decision which may have affected the outcome, no doubt Webb would have given it to Chelsea( a bit cynical on my part).
The refs are human and see things in real time, human error will always come into it and it's part of the game, I would hate to bring video into the game, it would slow it down. If United had won that game it would be a non issue, Moyes was deflecting from the real issue yesterday, we lost because of our lack of quality in the final third and his inability to change tactics.
As for Adnan, yes he is getting a reputation, the easiest way for him to lose the reputation is to stop diving and falling to the ground so easily, it's a blight on football all these divers, Oscars dive yesterday was Oscar worthy.

·
The Bearded Madman
1,187 Posts
What annoyed me about this game was that Spurs were -TERRIBLE-. Truly terrible. They didn't play well, they were slow, and gifted us the ball, and shit going forward etc etc -

But we defended comically, had no cutting edge, and didn't play until 2-0 down. Embarassing.
If they were that terrible then we should be heading for relegation. Spurs exploited our weaknesses.

The facts that we can't defend, can't beat the first man with a cross, the fact that all of our attacking efforts are reliant on an boy that was born in 1995 and that our best player is being pushed out of position to midfield because the other CM's apart from Carrick, who is injured, have two left feet and cannot create chances.

That's why we lost.

·
The Bearded Madman
1,187 Posts
You know, I don't blame Webb one bit. I blame Young and his Greg Louganis impressions in matches gone by.

What goes around, comes around, and now we are feeling how all the opposing managers have felt when Young had been conning the ref in the past. Besides, it is foolish for Moyes to centre this defeat on that decision.

Before having a go at any official, Moyes needs to sit down and ask Valencia why he has difficulty beating the first man with a cross or why Hernandez has a problem controlling a ball with his first touch before moaning about why a penalty wasn't awarded.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,815 Posts
During the game, I was saying to my Dad that we needed to stop trying to cross the ball in and play through the middle because Spurs were winning almost every header (bar a couple of Vidic headers from corners).

Now I have the stats to back it up!

Manchester United top the Premier League for crosses per game, swinging in an average of 26.65 of them in their 20 league games so far this season. In the New Year's Day defeat at home to Tottenham, they took the policy to new levels. A whopping 47 crosses were lobbed goalwards for Vlad Chiriches and Michael Dawson to deal with. That was a United high for the season and more than in any game they played last term. It isn't proving an efficient use of the ball in the final third.

Manchester United's tally of 423 failed crosses this season is a Premier League high.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11979/9098542/style-issues

·
Registered
213 Posts
Its worrying when both citeh and the scum ripped Spurs apart and we have only gained a point from both games. We are in need of a severe overhaul. At times the hole in the middle of the park was unbelievable. Its also a bad sign when Wayne has to make desperate runs back past the guys behind him to help defend. We have too many players now who are at best average and getting found out. Not too sure if even panic buying in Jan would help, The side needs revamped and that is going to take time, so as fans we will no doubt have to be patient.

501 - 511 of 511 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.