Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
one was that great 1-2 with Ronaldo I think
Yeah, that was one of the best goals I've seen at Old Trafford. The speed with which we broke from our penalty area to the other end of the pitch was devastating. One minute we were defending (a throw-in I think) and the next the ball was in Bolton's net.

Fantastic goal.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Prem Preview: Manchester United - Bolton Wanderers

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=626073

What: Premier League, Round 30
Who: Manchester United (1st EPL, 67/87 pts) v Bolton ( 18th EPL, 25/87 pts)
When: Wednesday, 19th March, kick-off: 20:00 GMT
Where: Old Trafford, Manchester.

United In Driving Seat, Finish Line In Sight

Manchester United climbed back to the top of the Premier League on Saturday as Arsenal drew for the fourth game in succession. Although the reigning Champions were not particularly impressive as they struggled to break down a Derby defence that had conceded six at Stamford Bridge just a few days earlier, they appear to have taken leadership of the title race at the right time.

A win over struggling Bolton at Old Trafford on Wednesday evening will see Alex Ferguson's men open up a three point lead over Arsenal ahead of another ‘Grand Slam Sunday' this weekend, when United host Liverpool and Chelsea play Arsenal.

Ferguson was seething after the last game at Old Trafford, when United crashed out of the Cup at the hands of Portsmouth.

The fiery Scot decided to point the finger for that defeat at referee Martin Atkinson, but United created so many chances that day that perhaps Ferguson should have looked closer to home when he wanted someone to blame. It was wayward finishing that cost United that day, and nearly cost them again at Pride Park on Saturday.

United will need to be more clinical if they are to take the three points against a side that have already beaten them once this season, as well as knocking out Atletico Madrid of the UEFA Cup and drawing away to German Giants Bayern Munich.

'Unacceptable' Bolton Need To Improve

Whether Bolton's excellent performances in the UEFA Cup have had a detrimental effect on the side's league campaign is questionable, but is strange that a side can raise their game when they visit Lisbon, Munich and Belgrade and yet lose to ten man Wigan in the bread and butter of the Premier League.

That defeat on Sunday at the JJB was a sore one for Bolton. Having seen their hosts and local rivals go down to ten men in the fifth minute, Wanderers still succumbed to a 1-0 defeat that put Wigan into 12th place and left out of form Bolton still in the bottom three.

Megson described that defeat as 'unacceptable' and the thousands of Bolton fans who travelled to Lisbon only to see a second string side crash out of the UEFA Cup, will not have been impressed that their side did not make the most of their fresh legs on the awful playing surface that Wigan share with their rugby playing neighbours.

Bolton will have to drastically imporve if they are to upset the Champions on their own patch, and with United knowing that they can open up a gap at the top of the table, anything other than a home win seems unlikely.

Form Guide

Manchester United

15 Mar v Derby (a) WON 1-0 (Prem)

08 Mar v Portsmouth (h) LOST 0-1 (FA Cup)

04 Mar v Lyon (h) WON 1-0 (CL)

01 Mar v Fulham (a) WON 3-0 (Prem)

23 Feb v Newcastle (a) WON 5-1 (Prem)

20 Feb v Lyon (a) DREW 1-1 (CL)

Bolton Wanderers

16 Mar v Wigan (a) LOST 0-1 (Prem)

13 Mar v Sporting (a) LOST 0-1 (UEFA)

06 Mar v Sporting (h) DREW 1-1 (UEFA)

02 Mar v Liverpool (h) LOST 1-3 (Prem)

24 Feb v Blackburn (a) LOST 1-4 (Prem)

21 Feb v Atletico Madrid (a) DREW 0-0 (UEFA)

Team News

Manchester United

Ben Foster made two excellent saves in the win at Derby, and he may have to continue in goal with Thomas Kuszcak suspended and Edwin Van der Sar still missing with a groin strain. Carlos Tevez may make a return to the starting line-up which should give United a bit more calmness in front of goal.

Last Starting XI (4-3-3 v Derby): Foster - O‘Shea, Brown, Vidic, Evra - Park (Saha 62), Scholes (Carrick 62), Anderson (Fletcher 74), Giggs - Ronaldo, Rooney.

Bolton Wanderers

Jussi Jaaskelainen is doubtful with a back injury, and Kevin Nolan (back) is also a doubt. Megson may look to shuffle his pack after some disappointing recent displays.

Last Starting XI (4-3-3 v Wigan): Al Habsi - Steinsson, A O'Brien, Cahill (McCann 69), Gardner - Nolan, Campo, Cohen (Rasiak 42)- Diouf (J O‘Brien h-t), Davies, Taylor.

Players To Watch

Manchester United - Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 22 League goals this season, not bad for a player who is being ‘kicked out of the Premier League' according to his manager. Bolton are one of the most aggressive sides in the league, and they will test the patience of Ronaldo and Ferguson on Wednesday. Ronaldo usually rises above the treatment he receives, and do not be surprised if he is United's match winner again on Wednesday.

Bolton Wanderers - Ivan Campo is a cult figure at the Reebok, and it is not hard to see why. The former Real Madrid man is one of Wanderers better players and his strength, astute positional sense and efficient use of the ball provide a good base for The Trotters. Campo will have to be at his best as a shield in front of a backline that is likely to be under the cosh on Wednesday.

Prediction

United have misfired in recent weeks, but have managed to overtake a stuttering Arsenal at the top of the table. They should have enough quality to overcome a Bolton side that become entrenched in the bottom three following a run of four consecutive League defeats.

Manchester United 2-0 Bolton Wanderers

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
reddwarf said:
Yeah, that was one of the best goals I've seen at Old Trafford. The speed with which we broke from our penalty area to the other end of the pitch was devastating. One minute we were defending (a throw-in I think) and the next the ball was in Bolton's net.

Fantastic goal.
that was my goal of the season in the league. incredible, worthy of watching it again and again

·
Registered
21 Posts
it will br a harder game dan people think.... lets rest ronny, scholes and van der sar for liverpool!!!
i reckon 2-0 united

CUM ON UNITED!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Nolan Pleads For Support Against United

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=626485

Bolton Wanderers captain Kevin Nolan has called on the Reebok fanbase to get behind the team both at home and away as his side seek to draw clear of the relegation zone...

The Trotters sit in a precarious position in the Premier League, with two points separating them from the safety zone at present.

However, they have a game in hand over the likes of Sunderland, Birmingham and Reading, meaning that a shock result at Old Trafford on Wednesday evening could see them pull away from the bottom three.

To this end, captain Nolan has asked the fans to show both patience and support, something that he deemed lacking after their fourth straight league defeat, this time at Wigan, on Saturday.

"We were poor against Wigan, especially in the first half," said the 25-year-old to Bolton's official website.

"In the second half we put them under pressure but it was just that goal we needed. We were rightly booed off by our fans.

"It's always disappointing to see that and to see the anger in their faces. As club captain I ask them to please stay with us. We need them in our hour of need."

However, he admitted that it's ultimately down to the players.

The one-club man continued, "It's up to us to stand up and be counted. We've got nine games to get ourselves out of this. It's not the time to talk about it, we need to do it."

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
tice14 said:
it will br a harder game dan people think.... lets rest ronny, scholes and van der sar for liverpool!!!
i reckon 2-0 united

CUM ON UNITED!!!!!!!!
that a bit of a weird thing to say.

a) it will be a hard game
b) lets rest ronaldo for liverpool.

we need ronaldo on wed. players on form can play 2 games a week easy. he may only need to play the first hour anyway depending on if we can wrap things up early on

·
Registered
216 Posts
we have to win, anything else is disaster, lets get some range between us and the rest of the teams before the tough schedule begins, the "gunners" (dont really know who they are gunning, theyve shot blanks for the last 4 weeks), romans overpaid underdelivering army, and the liverfools are going to be playing their hearts out in the coming weeks.

a 1 - 0 win will do fine by me, its not like anyone has a goal difference to rival ours

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
with no Jussi Jaaskelainen win is sure if the strikers played good
as the news talking that hleb would not leave for intermilan

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=627014

Kevin Davies has built up a reputation as a dirty player and not without good reason. Statistics prove he is the Premier League's all-time dirtiest player ahead of Alan Smith and, after committing the most fouls last season (88), he is also leading the way this year with 76 so far.

Let's Get Physical

Ferguson — who held nothing back when criticising Portsmouth duo Sylvain Distin and Lassana Diarra just over a week ago — will no doubt already be incensed at the thought of facing the reckless front-man, but believes his defenders are more than a match for him, physically and otherwise.

“They’ve got Kevin Davies up front and he’ll do everything he possibly can to unsettle us," said Sir Alex.

“He’s a physical lad and we have to deal with that but I think Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand have the height and ability to do that.”

Because I don't like you

United full-back Patrice Evra appeared to be the main target of Davies in the reverse fixture earlier this season, a game which Bolton managed to win thanks to a single goal from Nicolas Anelka, who of course has since moved to United's title rivals Chelsea.

Evra was extremely disgruntled with his treatment on that particular afternoon — as was his manager — and the Frenchman has now looked back on the game heading into Wednesday's showdown.

“I had more bad tackles in that game than I have in my entire career," declared an animated Evra. “His first tackle on me should have been a red card."

There was, apparently, more to it. The ex-Monaco man went on to reveal that this had apparently been going on for a while and that Davies — jokingly or not — told the player he didn't like him, and that's what made him a target of the forward's tough tackling.

"It was the same last year," recalled Evra. "When Davies kicked me, I said to him ‘Why do you tackle like that?’ And he said ‘It’s because I don’t like you!’"

In Your Face

Bolton boss Gary Megson, on the other hand, has nothing but words of encouragement for the 29-year-old. Megson has gone as far as to say that Davies embodies the fighting spirit Bolton have long been associated with — this much being true — and that he wants his side to get that back.

To little surprise, there was no mention of the alarming amount of fouls commited by the player in the process of his playing style.

“Kevin is a good player," said the ex-West Bromwich Albion manager. “He can cause any team problems and I want us to get back to that in-your-face attitude you normally associate with this club.

“We needed that fighting spirit against Wigan at the weekend and didn’t get it.

“But I want to see it back again at Old Trafford and in the eight games we have to play after that.”

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
this is a must win game for utd,then we can start to turn the screw on our 2 rivals,i expect spurs to take points off chelsea aswell.this could be a big night for us.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Sir Alex Not Underestimating Bolton

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=627016

Ahead of league leaders Manchester United's clash with third from bottom Bolton Wanderers, manager Sir Alex Ferguson is taking absolutely nothing for granted, saying that at such a stage in the season, each game is as important as the next...

Big Games

Sir Alex has called for full focus on Wednesday's game despite a crunch clash coming up this weekend against rivals Liverpool. The Bolton meeting serves as their game in hand and a chance to go three points clear of Arsenal — currently already leading them on goal difference — and also, United's recent close encounter at rock-bottom Derby County has served as a wake-up call to the league leaders to take nothing for granted.

“There are big games coming up and Liverpool is one of them, especially when you consider Chelsea are playing Arsenal on the same day," began Ferguson, “but when you see what happened at Derby on Saturday, not taking our chances, you realise you can't take anything for granted.

“Sure, there are big weekends ahead but the other matches are just as important.

“If we perform well and take our chances then we'll win the match. But it's important we respect our opponents.

“Some of our football recently has been terrific and there's good penetration in the team. It's encouraging that we're making so many chances, perhaps the forwards just need to relax a little in front of goal. Then the goals will come.â€

The Fight

The Trotters find themselves in a spot of bother having lost to ten-man Wigan this weekend, but Ferguson is aware of the different challenges that then poses to his side, who are facing a team with their backs against the wall.

“Bolton are fighting for survival and any team down there has to fight," said Sir Alex. “I thought they had got themselves clear for a while and hit a bit of form — but, in this league, if you lose a couple of games, you can find yourselves back in the mix.

“Derby are in a terrible position and you expect them to go down. Fulham are the next one but there is a scramble to avoid the other place.

“You've got Wigan, Birmingham, Reading, Sunderland and Bolton all there — fighting to survive. When you are down there it is not easy."

·
Registered
1 Posts
spwaff said:
the "gunners" (dont really know who they are gunning, theyve shot blanks for the last 4 weeks)
LMAO,it's funny cause it's true.Anyway,YES,1:0 is fine,thank you :D I have a feeling that lads will be back in form tonight but,even if they'd perform like vs Derby,they'll know that 3 points are extremely important at this point of competition and I believe they'll deliver.I don't even want to think about how things would develop if we'd waste this chance :eek: I know we'd still be 1st placed but...Let's just hope we'll win :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Definitely have to take the 3 points to pull away from Arsenal. These make-up games are always tricky, but no excuse for not winning tonight.

Here's what I would like to see:

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I hope we put out a strong team tonight, mutv reckons fletcher and carrick in the middle, but im hoping for anderson and carrick. Roooneyand tevez hopefully starting, i expect the team to be:

Foster
Brown Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Ronaldo Carrick Anderson Nani
Rooney Tevez

Subs:
kuzjack
O'shea
Fletcher
Hargreaves
Saha

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Megson Eyeing Chance To Do Double Over United

Bolton manager Gary Megson is hoping his side can throw a major spanner into the works at the top of the Premier League by completing a shock double over Manchester United - because it would give Wanderers a priceless three points in their bid to beat the drop.

Bolton Wanderers achieved one of the results of the season last November when they stunned defending Premier League champions Manchester United by beating them 1-0 at the Reebok.

Now, despite being third-from bottom in the table and fighting for their top-flight lives, Wanderers have the chance to pull off a shock double against the Red Devils when they visit Old Trafford tonight.

And given their increasingly desperate need for points to haul themselves out of the Premier League relegation zone, an unlikely victory tonight would be just what the doctor ordered.

Bolton have lost four successive League games going into this match, but have the confidence of knowing they can beat United, having done so four months ago.

Furthermore, they achieved victories at Old Trafford in successive seasons back in 2002 and 2003.

Manager Gary Megson is confident that his players will raise their game for the big occasion, although he needs them to take a similarly focused attitude into games supposedly smaller clubs than Manchester United.

"I take heart from the way we played against Manchester United earlier in the season because if we'd done that in every other game this season we'd be way higher up the league," Megson told Sky Sports.

"But we haven't and that is a difficulty. You would think you would be able to do it but we haven't managed to do it when we've been playing against teams who haven't got the kudos of Manchester United."

Megson was furious with his players for their woeful performance at fellow-strugglers Wigan on Sunday, when the Latics won 1-0 despite Bolton having brought back nine supposedly fresh and rested first-teamers for the six-pointer.

The Bolton boss is hoping his players don't let him and the fans down again in their second successive Lancashire derby.

"We let ourselves down badly and we've got to get a response from everybody. We've got to go there and do what we were doing before the Wigan game, which is always giving it our best shot.

"It was a poor performance and a shocking result for us at Wigan, but we were masters of our own downfall.

"I can accept it if at times we don't pass it well or dribble well or whatever. But we just didn't get up for the game, which is something I hope never to see again."

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
No foster has p**sed me off.
Can anyone tell me why Kuszsack only got a one match ban or is it because its just the fa cup :| ?
I dont know why hes putting Hargreaves in the defence either, but the team looks good enough to win pique and saha getting run outs is good :) espeically saha hopefully he can grab and goal and should be a decent enough game !

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.