Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
7 changes came in, which shows our squad is in great shape.
This game was exactly the same as the Pompey game (2-0),
2 early goals from the main man Ronaldo, 1 a special free kick,
just like in the Pompey game.
Its great to see Ronaldo beat Bestie's record. We do seem to
criticise him a bit but he always comes up with the goods.
33 goals is beyond all expectations.
Great for the likes of OShea, Fletcher and Pique to play and play
well at that. The game was a bit of a saunter but we got the 3
points which was vital. Chelsea slipping up makes it a day to savour.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
The_Red_Prince said:
i know.Its really concerning me that only ronaldo is getting on the scoresheet
This was the topic on the coach on way home. Take out ronaldo goals and i dont think we are mid-table.

Rooney aint showing up at the minute and tevez aint ever gonna be the goal machine everyone thinks he should be.

Nice to see Ronaldo scoring again but would be reassuring to know other players can grab one or two

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
antdevil78 said:
This was the topic on the coach on way home. Take out ronaldo goals and i dont think we are mid-table.

Rooney aint showing up at the minute and tevez aint ever gonna be the goal machine everyone thinks he should be.

Nice to see Ronaldo scoring again but would be reassuring to know other players can grab one or two
Good point, Ronaldo has been carrying us a lot this season.
If the goals dry up for him, the other boys need to chip in.
It could be the difference to winning the CL or the Prem.
Its time for the midfielders to start getting some goals and
of course Rooney, Tevez and Saha need to up their game a
level. Big games coming up so we need big performances
from everyone.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I'm a little worried that others are not scoring. I'd rest easier if i saw Tevez, Rooney, Saha score as well as more goals from the other Midfield players. Vidic, Carrick, Scholes all chipped in with goals last season as did Fletcher and Park. They need to do so again.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Ronaldo Breaks Best Record As United Go Three Points Clear

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=628124

Manchester United 2-0 Bolton Wanderers

Manchester United moved three points clear at the top of the Barclays Premier League with a clinical victory over relegation-haunted Bolton Wanderers. It was another outstanding performance in a glittering season for Cristiano Ronaldo, who netted both first-half goals - the second a trademark free-kick - with compatriot Nani also impressive for the defending champions.

Bolton, who twice had the ball in the net, only to have both efforts disallowed, had a good second-half and showed enough to suggest they might be able to battle clear of the drop. But at Old Trafford they were simply not good enough to take any points off the Premier League leaders.

Ronaldo was named captain for the night as United manager Sir Alex Ferguson made seven changes from the side that narrowly defeated Derby County at the weekend.

Wayne Rooney was on the bench, with Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs rested completely as Ferguson flaunted to his rivals the strength in depth of the squad at his disposal.

Goalkeeper Ben Foster's hopes of retaining his place after impressing on his United debut against Derby were thwarted as Tomasz Kuszczak, his suspension served, was brought back.

Bolton manager Gary Megson made four changes from their morale-sapping defeat at Wigan on Sunday. Abdoulaye Meite, Gavin McCann, Joey O'Brien and Danny Guthrie came in for Kevin Nolan and Gary Cahill, both injured, with Ivan Campo and Tamir Cohen both dropped.

After only two minutes the decision to recall Kuszczak looked rash as the Pole sliced his clearance, but was lucky enough to have Nemanja Vidic on hand to clear the danger.

However, the pattern of the early play - indeed almost the whole of the first-half - was one of Manchester United dominance, the Red Devils keeping possession with ease.

On eight minutes, Carlos Tevez was played through one-on-one with Al Habsi by Louis Saha, and rounded the Bolton keeper, only for Gardner to race across and clear the ball for a corner.

A minute later, United took the lea. Nani's corner from the right found Ronaldo after a scramble in the Bolton penalty area., and the Portuguese winger made no mistake with a powerful shot from eight yards that gave Al Habsi no hance.

United continued to keep possession at willing, and looked certain to add to their score. Nani cut in from the left and fired a powerful shot just over the bar from 25 yards.

At the other end, Bolton briefly threatened when Gutherie's cross from the right wing was met by Kevin Davies, whose well-struck volley was turned away by Kuszczak.

But on 19 minutes, Ronaldo won a free-kick in a shooting position after being fouled by Abdoulaye Meite, and fired in a swerving shot from 25 yards that again left Al Habsi with no chance as it flew past him into the net for another stunning goal.

His second goal of the night was Ronaldo's 23rd Premier League goal of the season and his 33rd goal of the campaign in all competitions, taking him past the record set by George Best in 1968 of 32 goals in a single season by a winger.

Matty Taylor sent in a half-volley from the edge of the United area but it bounced down into the the ground and up into the arms of Kuszczak.

But although Bolton were beginning to enjoy a little of possession of their own, they could make no real headway.

And U nited soon underlined their superiority again when Nani's corner from the left was headed towards the far corner of the net by Vidic, only for Gutherie to clear it off the line.

Ten minutes before half-time, Tevez danced his way past several Bolton defenders but then shot straight at Al Habsi, before Nani sent a powerful effort narrowly over the bar from just inside the area.

After the break, with Megson introducing Nicky Hunt for Meite and Steinsson switching to the centre of defence, Bolton fought their way back into the game with a good spell of pressure. After Al Habsi saved well from Nani, Hunt dispossessed the Portuguese youngster with aplomb as he teried to run onto Ronaldo's through-ball, and then Nani again blocked Taylor's effort from 30 yards as Bolton retaliated.

Eleven minutes into the second period, Pique conceded a free-kick on the edge of the United area when he controlled the ball with his hand, and El-Hadji Diouf ehipped the free-kick in early, beyond Kuszczak and into the back of the net. However, the referee ordered the visitors to take it again as he hadn't blown his whistle. Diouf's second attempt was comfortably saved by Kuszczak and frustrated Bolton had seen their best chance of a goal disappear.

However, Davies appealed for a penalty when he tumbled in the area under Tevez's clumsy challenge, but the ref waved play-on. Then, on the hour mark, Hunt's half-volley from 35 yards was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Kuszczak.

Gavin McCann's drive from 25 yards was turned round his left hand post for another corner by the suddenly busy - and effective - Kuszczak, as Bolton found themselves bossing proceedings.

But the tide began to turn back in United's favour when no breakthrough came, and Ronaldo was denied a hat-trick when his drive from just inside the Bolton area was superbly turned away by Al Habsi, enjoying a fine game in Jaaskelainen's absence.

Rooney and Scholes came on for Manchester United in place of Saha, who had largely disappointed, and Anderson, who had been hard-working and effective.

Nani turned Gardner on the edge of the box and fired in a shot that flew narrowly over, before Tevez controlled Rooney's pin-point pass but sliced his shot wide of Al Habsi's left hand post from close-range.

In the final minute, Diouf's free-kick from the left found its way to Bolton substitute Stelios Giiannakopoulos, who took the ball round Kuszczak and passed it into the empty net, only for referee Alan Wiley to judge that Taylor had pushed Pique in the build-up, and disallow the goal.

So the game ended with United three points better off than Arsenal and looking ominously comfortable at the top, while Bolton remain in the bottom three.

Teams

Man Utd: Kuszczak, Fletcher, Pique, Vidic, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Anderson, Nani, Saha, Tevez.
Subs: Foster, Evra, Brown, Rooney, Scholes

Bolton: Al Habsi, Steinsson, Meite, Andrew O'Brien, Gardner, Diouf, McCann, Guthrie, Joey O'Brien, Taylor, Davies.
Subs: Walker, Hunt, Giannakopoulos, Campo, Rasiak

Referee: Alan Wiley (Staffordshire)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
OMG, I'm hungover. I've made 3 phone calls at work all day. Taxi from Preston to my house cost £50 because it was after midnight. I didn't get home until 1.30am.

But was it worth it? Course it was!

The game was all over 20 minutes in and we were a bit wasteful in the 2nd half but I thought we controlled the vast majority of the game. The atmosphere was good and there was a bit of banter with the Bolton fans who seemed pretty quiet for the last 70 minutes of the game! There was a loud cheer when it was announced 'Tottenham 4' and then a muted one when it was announced 'Chelsea 4'.

There was a group of kids sat behind me who seemed to giggle everytime I drunkenly shouted 'TACKLE HIM!' or 'YOU MUST BE JOKING REF!' which I found quite amusing. There seemed to be a few people dotted around in the NE quadrant willing to start chants, myself included, so that was good....except I kept forgetting the words to the new Anderson chant!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Megson: We Didn't Look Like A Relegation Side

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=628261

Bolton Wanderers suffered their fifth successive Premier League defeat at Old Trafford as leaders and defending champions Manchester United beat them 2-0. But their performance offered some encouragement for manager Gary Megson.

Bolton boss Gary Megson saw the Trotters beaten but unbowed at Old Trafford. Manchester United won 2-0 thanks to two goals by the prolific Cristiano Ronaldo.

It took them three points clear at the top but left Wanderers marooned in the bottom three. However, Megson was buoyed by his team's overall performance despite a fifth straight loss.

"We caused our own downfall in the first half with two set-pieces," Megson told Sky Sports. "We were sloppy on the first one and one or two things happened to cause us to lose that goal.

"Any team in the Premiership, when a goal down, you have to open up and cause yourself problems."

However, he had no complaints about Ronaldo's second goal. "The second goal was genius and I don't know how he does that, and most of our players are talking about it. It was a fantastic strike."

Megson was happy with the way his side responded in the second half, and he is confident they can get themselves out of relegation trouble.

"To be fair to the players then we had probably more chances to score in this game than we have had for quite a few games and that is at Old Trafford, when 2-0 down, so we did okay.

"The pleasing thing is we did okay, but the most important thing is we realise why we have done okay and take that forward into the next eight games because we didn't look like a bottom three team.

"The results we have just had, five [defeats] on the belt does look like a bottom three [team] but I think there is cause for optimism even at this late stage of the season."

61 - 70 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.