Manchester United Talk banner

Will Ronaldo Start Against Chelsea?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
26,045 Posts
Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo warns Chelsea 'bullies' to stay clear

Cristiano Ronaldo has warned Chelsea that he will not tolerate any bullying tactics against him as he prepares to make his Premier League comeback in Sunday's decisive clash at Stamford Bridge.

"I'll do my damage as usual by paying them all back with my goals," said Ronaldo, who won the coveted European Balloon D'or prize after scoring 42 goals last term.

"I know that the attempts to intimidate me on the pitch will start again immediately – but everyone finds sooner or later that it is difficult to make me lose my rag.

"I'll be booted again but I will not kick out when it happens. I'm tough and, again, it's all just part of the spectacle."

'I'll do my damage as usual by paying them all back with my goals.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Chelsea-bullies-to-stay-clear---Football.html

·
26,045 Posts
We Cannot Afford To Lose, Says Fletcher

Manchester United's Scottish midfielder Darren Fletcher, who has so far scored twice in the new campaign, believes that losing to Chelsea on Sunday is an unthinkable concept and something United can ill afford to do.

Manchester United have recorded four points out of a possible nine thus far in the Premier League. Should Chelsea get the better of the reigning champions on Sunday, like Liverpool did last weekend, then the Stamford Bridge side will stretch their lead over United to nine points, and the Red Devils will be languishing in the lower reaches of the bottom half of the table.

Darren Fletcher insists that considering their stuttering start to the new season, another loss is something Manchester United cannot afford to do. He told the Times Online: "After losing against Liverpool we can't afford to lose too much ground in the Premier League..........

http://www.goal.com/en-india/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=871768

·
26,045 Posts
Arsenal games bigger than Chelsea, says Ferguson

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted his team's clashes with Chelsea will never carry as much meaning as those against Arsenal.

Just two days before the Red Devils face Luiz Felipe Scolari's in-form Blues at Stamford Bridge in a clash between most people's Barclays Premier League title favourites, Ferguson has stoked the fires by claiming Chelsea cannot match the "history and quality" of their London rivals.

The United boss' claim may come as a surprise to the Chelsea hierarchy given it has been them who have fought United for the title for the previous four seasons - winning it for consecutive years in 2005 and 2006.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...bigger-than-chelsea-says-ferguson-935790.html

·
26,045 Posts
reddwarf said:
I'm nervous about the game on Sunday.

I'd take a draw but a win could really kick start our season. There's no tougher place to walk away with 3 points than Stamford Bridge but we have the players to do it.

They just need to put in a collectively good performance for the 1st time this season!

Losing would be a dreadful blow and I'm not willing to contemplate the impact it could have on our season unless it happens.
We have just lost one of the Big Four games to Liverpool which we have been winning. We have to make up for it now.

·
26,045 Posts
teamtalk

Scolari: It's not about revenge

Luiz Felipe Scolari insists Chelsea's clash with Manchester United is not a Moscow revenge mission - and says victory is all that matters.

United lifted Europe's top prize after a penalty shoot-out last May, with Blues skipper John Terry missing a spot-kick that would have sealed victory for Chelsea.

There is added spice to this weekend's clash as it follows on from the "Battle of the Bridge", when Patrice Evra clashed with Chelsea staff during the warm-down after a game won by Michael Ballack's late strike.

However, Chelsea boss Scolari is solely focused on extending his side's lead to nine-points over United in the Premier League title race.

"When I came to England the challenge was to win the Premier League, not just the games against Manchester United," he said.

"The challenge for Chelsea is to win all the competitions in which we participate. This is one more game. Nothing different.

"Three points against United are the same three points as against Stoke City, Wigan or Portsmouth. The same.

"I have videos of Manchester United in this season's Champions League, and of their last two games in the Premier League. Now is different to what happened in May. Now is important.

"They have a fantastic group. If they play A, B or C, it's the same. They have 25 or 26 fantastic players, and they're in a better condition now than at the start of the season."

Scolari has been monitoring Ballack's return from a foot injury, while striker Didier Drogba is available after a knee complaint but will not play for 90 minutes.

Cristiano Ronaldo, who played under Scolari for Portugal, is expected to feature for United after his comeback from ankle surgery.

Scolari said: "I think he will start. My players are thinking that they will mark him very well but there is Tevez, Rooney, O'Shea[:eek::eek::D], Hargreaves, Nani, Berbatov.

"They have a beautiful team, a fantastic team, and this is a big game. The players are prepared for this."

Ronaldo's relationship with Scolari is just one of the links between the two teams - former United midfielder Ray Wilkins has returned to Chelsea as assistant first-team coach while former United assistant Carlos Queiroz took over from Scolari as Portugal boss.

Scolari also has a working relationship with United boss Sir Alex Ferguson from when Ronaldo has been playing for Portugal, and the Chelsea boss will present a customary bottle of wine to his counterpart.

"After the game, we'll have some wine," he said.

"I know he doesn't drink Portuguese wine because he did not have it with (Jose) Mourinho.

"I don't have any Brazilian wine. Maybe I need to have some French wine, South African wine. After this, Sir Alex will be happy. We'll know who's happier after the match."

Ferguson was furious with the Football Association overturning Terry's suspension, with Scolari delighted to have his captain available.

"In certain moments in the game, it's more important to have him there as a man or a captain than as a player," said the Brazilian.

Between United and Chelsea, the team that has started better in recent seasons have tended to take the title, adding more significance to Sunday's clash.

Scolari added: "If we win, we follow with Liverpool in first position. We are together at the moment in first position.

"It's better for us to be nine points ahead of United, but it's only the start of the league. There is a long way to go.

"If it was the last three or four games, nine points would be fantastic. But we have 33 games more so nine points is nothing."

·
26,045 Posts
Fergie faces test of strength

Has Alex Ferguson lost his stomach for battle? Today's trip to Chelsea will reveal a lot....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/fergie-faces-test-of-strength-1479452.html

I see Arsenal came back from a goal down to win at Bolton. I see Liverpool coming back from an early setback to beat us....

What about us?!! So far not so good.

Well, the failure to 'turn up' for the Super Cup and the grudge match with Liverpool this season so far are becoming inexplicable and uncomfortable. We have to address that and address it fast.

·
26,045 Posts
Another game that left me gutted; another precious victory we thrown away.

And I have no wish to blame the referee at all It would be so easy and convenient to deflect the blame away from our beloved players. Rooney lashing out most unintelligently and senselessly to get a yellow which also led to the equaliser. Evra getting another unnecessary yellow for having a go at the linesman. Ronaldo got one himself for signalling to the referee to give a card. Clever indeed. If this is ill-discipline, then what lies beneath is more worrying...

For the second game in a row, we surrendered the initiative after taking a lead. We just sat back and wanted to defend for the rest of the game. We stopped organising any meaningful attack and looked so obviously keen to end the game at 1-0. We don't seem to get it despite what happened at Stamford Bridge last season and as recent as the defeat to Liverpool. It is as if we believe we can only score one goal and just hope it stays the same. Think Evra also talked about us losing the self-belief before the game and it looks like it is true. We seem more afraid to lose than believe we will win. Such lack of self-confidence and loser 's mentality will get us nowhere and win us no honours. I am not sure if this is another post-1999 type of blues after the Double last season.

Fergie was telling us before this game that we won't see such disgraceful defending again after the game at Anfailed. Well, we first conceded the equaliser from an unnecessary free kick given away by Rooney and then we gave some more from a free header granted to Kalou. Great, can't be better.

Another worrying aspect of our game is our central midfield. For the second game running, it looked so underweight. It hardly can impose itself in the game or gain any control for a considerable period. Scholes is really getting very slow and old, and no longer has any impact like he used to have. Think he was already downhill for the past couple of seasons and he is now sliding down even further. Fletcher works hard but again, diligence is not good enough as he is often at seas and lacks the genuine quality to hold the midfield. Hargreaves may fared slightly better but midfield control? No way, at least for now, although I thought he did alright on the right wing. Same for Anderson, full of promise and potential but yet to be fullfilled. For the records, he is not even on the bench today for crying out loud. JOS, like Fletcher, lacks any genuine quality too. And with Carrick out for 6 to 8 weeks, we are really found wanting in this key department.

And Berbatov was impressive in the start again, dropping back to chase some lost causes much to my pleasant surprise and even sliding into tackles on 2 or 3 occasions. Then he disappeared of course and started walking.

Rooney worked hard as usual and was seen all over the pitch, running and battling for the ball. But then again, familiar story, isn't it? Full marks for efforts and spirit but nothing much to report for end product.

Ronaldo came in too but could not do much while Tevez, our best forward this season, was on the bench and never came on. Why? Well, guess we better put in JOS instead to try our utmost best to cement a one-goal margin of course.....

I believe if we had truly wanted it and had the self-belief of a Double champions like we should, it would have been easily 6 points for us in the last 2 Big Four games. Instead, we only have a lousy one point.

But not to worry. It was not a defeat but only a draw and in fact we have done better than last season at the same venue. And although there are no longer 35 games left, there are still 34 more games to go. Besides the world is still revolving so it is definitely not the end of the world. And problems? Nah, what problems? They will disappear the next time you look.

·
26,045 Posts
mather23 said:
Rooney's ball to Evra for the goal was a good end product. To be honest I can't be bothered arguing with you, it was a good performance and Rooney was one of our best players - you are clearly a fairweather fan who expects us to batter teams in every game.
I take that as a personal insult but I will choose to overlook it. But I doubt that is the correct meaning of fairweather as in your context.

Yes, I always hope and "expect us to batter teams in every game" because I am a passionate fan who believes in us and wants us to succeed badly and continuously. Besides we are United, the reigning Double champions. And with the players we've got, we should attempt to dominate, not passively and meekly surrendering initiative, hanging on to a slender lead and just defending the rest of the game for dear life, and waiting for accidents to happen. Negative seldom pays. When will we ever learn?!

P.S. Btw Rooney was not even the focus of my post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.