Manchester United Talk banner

Will Ronaldo Start Against Chelsea?

321 - 340 of 351 Posts

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
i cant complan at the result we had 3 things aginst us really

1. The fact Chelski have a unbeleiveable unbeated at home record
2. The fact our form hasnt been the most fantastic ever (but will improve)
3. The ref was having a laugh was he on the chelsea pay roll?

i was saying before the game no1 EVER attacks chelsea at home and its somthing we should of done and for the first 25mins we did then we just seemed to rest on it.

i think loosing VDS was in a strange way a good things,
of corse i dont want to see such a important player injured but i must admit he looked shakey in the first few minutes i only hope the injury is major.

kuz didnt do bad really he only let us down on there goal but the defence also let him down which is a shame cause we looked fairly solid with some slight close shaves though

all in all a draw with chelsea isnt a bad one we can take some possitaves out of the game evens looks very good he just needs to win more headers.

im confused about one thing!?!?!
why was it when ronaldo come on wayne rooney went to right wing, surely ronaldo should play there. and for me if ronaldo was on the wing chelsea wouldnt of got that free kick would they??

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Few points :

Tevez should of played a part.

Evans was immense today.

The hard work of the wingers was the reason why were winning for so long, ultimately we chnaged the shape and we conceded the goal.

We still look un-fit as a team, Hargreaves, Ronaldo, Park, Gary Neville, Evans and Berbatov are all looking to reach a level and we have to be quite patient.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
im confused about one thing!?!?!
why was it when ronaldo come on wayne rooney went to right wing, surely ronaldo should play there. and for me if ronaldo was on the wing chelsea wouldnt of got that free kick would they??
Because we needed someone to track back, as Ashley Cole was bombing forward. Hence playing Hargreaves and Park on the wings from the start.

Ronaldo's work rate is not good enough to cope with this, it would be 2 quick players vs Gary Neville, somehow I think we'd come out the wrong end.

·
Registered
126 Posts
SMH no matter how you look at it there was NO NEED what so ever for him to give away that freekick. SAF was telling him to calm down but he dont listen

Considering the time of the game and a set peice against Chelsea who are always dangerous, and at this moment this is our weak point.

i love Rooney and i know im more of a browser than a poster but this forum always has to excuse his actions.

·
23,699 Posts
Another game that left me gutted; another precious victory we thrown away.

And I have no wish to blame the referee at all It would be so easy and convenient to deflect the blame away from our beloved players. Rooney lashing out most unintelligently and senselessly to get a yellow which also led to the equaliser. Evra getting another unnecessary yellow for having a go at the linesman. Ronaldo got one himself for signalling to the referee to give a card. Clever indeed. If this is ill-discipline, then what lies beneath is more worrying...

For the second game in a row, we surrendered the initiative after taking a lead. We just sat back and wanted to defend for the rest of the game. We stopped organising any meaningful attack and looked so obviously keen to end the game at 1-0. We don't seem to get it despite what happened at Stamford Bridge last season and as recent as the defeat to Liverpool. It is as if we believe we can only score one goal and just hope it stays the same. Think Evra also talked about us losing the self-belief before the game and it looks like it is true. We seem more afraid to lose than believe we will win. Such lack of self-confidence and loser 's mentality will get us nowhere and win us no honours. I am not sure if this is another post-1999 type of blues after the Double last season.

Fergie was telling us before this game that we won't see such disgraceful defending again after the game at Anfailed. Well, we first conceded the equaliser from an unnecessary free kick given away by Rooney and then we gave some more from a free header granted to Kalou. Great, can't be better.

Another worrying aspect of our game is our central midfield. For the second game running, it looked so underweight. It hardly can impose itself in the game or gain any control for a considerable period. Scholes is really getting very slow and old, and no longer has any impact like he used to have. Think he was already downhill for the past couple of seasons and he is now sliding down even further. Fletcher works hard but again, diligence is not good enough as he is often at seas and lacks the genuine quality to hold the midfield. Hargreaves may fared slightly better but midfield control? No way, at least for now, although I thought he did alright on the right wing. Same for Anderson, full of promise and potential but yet to be fullfilled. For the records, he is not even on the bench today for crying out loud. JOS, like Fletcher, lacks any genuine quality too. And with Carrick out for 6 to 8 weeks, we are really found wanting in this key department.

And Berbatov was impressive in the start again, dropping back to chase some lost causes much to my pleasant surprise and even sliding into tackles on 2 or 3 occasions. Then he disappeared of course and started walking.

Rooney worked hard as usual and was seen all over the pitch, running and battling for the ball. But then again, familiar story, isn't it? Full marks for efforts and spirit but nothing much to report for end product.

Ronaldo came in too but could not do much while Tevez, our best forward this season, was on the bench and never came on. Why? Well, guess we better put in JOS instead to try our utmost best to cement a one-goal margin of course.....

I believe if we had truly wanted it and had the self-belief of a Double champions like we should, it would have been easily 6 points for us in the last 2 Big Four games. Instead, we only have a lousy one point.

But not to worry. It was not a defeat but only a draw and in fact we have done better than last season at the same venue. And although there are no longer 35 games left, there are still 34 more games to go. Besides the world is still revolving so it is definitely not the end of the world. And problems? Nah, what problems? They will disappear the next time you look.

G

·
I started the day dreading the final scoreline due to our recent poor
performances and Chelsea's good form. but by the end of the match I was
disappointed we didn't take all three points.

Berbatov: All the talk of him offering us another dimension has not come to
fruition at all. He's been pretty anonymous in his two games for us so far,
except for his assist in the Liverpool game. I don't want to be too harsh on
him because his opening two games have been against probably the two
best defences in the league. I'm sure he'll come good when he's had time
to settle in and develop an understanding with the midfield and his striking
partner, be it Rooney or Tevez.

Rooney: Quite a disapponiting day for him. he could have got himself on the
scoresheet on more than one occasion, or at the very least hit the target
and force a save from Cech, who looked decidedly shaky today. Towards
the end of the game he put in a reckless challenge and Chelsea scored from
the resulting free kick. He still has some growing up to do. If I had a choice
between Tevez and Rooney to have started today, I would have picked
Tevez 100% because of his brilliant performances already this season.

Neville:
I have no idea why he started today. This was a massive game for
us and I believe Brown should have got the nod ahead of Neville. He looked
well off the pace against Villareal and again today. He got skinned by Anelka
on the right wing a few times and should be thanking Michael Ballack for not
going to ground when he threw in a stupid challenge, or he would have been
on the end of his second yellow. He offered us nothing going forward either.
I'm sure he'll get back to somewhere near the player we know and love, but
at the moment he's not fit enough to be bombarding up and down the wings.
being captain shouldn't guarantee his place in the starting XI, Brown should
have started.

Van Der Sar: I was kind of glad he got injured in the end because I cringe
every time he comes for a high ball. The man has forgotten how to catch
recently. Tomasz Kuszczak should start the next game because VDS looks
very nervy in front of goal at the moment.

Ok, that's enough criticisms, now for some positives.

Evans: I was very impressed with his performance today. He didnt look over
awed by magnitude of the fixture and did a good job alongside Rio. He
probably could have done a little bit better for Chelsea's goal, but the keeper
should have come and claimed that I think. Whenever Rio or vidic are
injured/suspended in future, I'll have no worries about seeing Evans' name
on the teamsheet.

Park: A typically industrious performance from Park today, I just love his
work ethic. he was involved in a lot of our attacks today and he deserved
to grab a goal in a period where we were dominating the game.

Evra: Another top notch performance from him. he never seems to have a
bad game. He's one of the rare fullbacks that seems to almost play as a left
winger while keeping the opponents attacks down his flank to a minimum.

Ronaldo: He gave us more of a threat when he came on. His pace was too
much for Chelsea on the counter attack and I now can't wait until he's fully
fit because I'm expecting another fantastic season from him.

It was a decent result in the end. We started the game very well and could
have scored more than one goal, but after the opening 25 minutes we were
pretty much content to sit back on the 1-0 lead and the forwards were
feeding off scraps on the counter attack. We gained a point at Stamford
bridge which is no easy feat, and we prevented Chelsea from opening up a
massive nine point gap over us at the top of the table. We're starting to look
like the United we're used to, but only in sporadic patches so far. The
consistency will come when Ronaldo is fully fit and Berbatov is embedded
in the team properly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
versa said:
Another game that left me gutted; another precious victory we thrown away.

And I have no wish to blame the referee at all It would be so easy and convenient to deflect the blame away from our beloved players. Rooney lashing out most unintelligently and senselessly to get a yellow which also led to the equaliser. Evra getting another unnecessary yellow for having a go at the linesman. Ronaldo got one himself for signalling to the referee to give a card. Clever indeed. If this is ill-discipline, then what lies beneath is more worrying...

For the second game in a row, we surrendered the initiative after taking a lead. We just sat back and wanted to defend for the rest of the game. We stopped organising any meaningful attack and looked so obviously keen to end the game at 1-0. We don't seem to get it despite what happened at Stamford Bridge last season and as recent as the defeat to Liverpool. It is as if we believe we can only score one goal and just hope it stays the same. Think Evra also talked about us losing the self-belief before the game and it looks like it is true. We seem more afraid to lose than believe we will win. Such lack of self-confidence and loser 's mentality will get us nowhere and win us no honours. I am not sure if this is another post-1999 type of blues after the Double last season.

Fergie was telling us before this game that we won't see such disgraceful defending again after the game at Anfailed. Well, we first conceded the equaliser from an unnecessary free kick given away by Rooney and then we gave some more from a free header granted to Kalou. Great, can't be better.

Another worrying aspect of our game is our central midfield. For the second game running, it looked so underweight. It hardly can impose itself in the game or gain any control for a considerable period. Scholes is really getting very slow and old, and no longer has any impact like he used to have. Think he was already downhill for the past couple of seasons and he is now sliding down even further. Fletcher works hard but again, diligence is not good enough as he is often at seas and lacks the genuine quality to hold the midfield. Hargreaves may fared slightly better but midfield control? No way, at least for now, although I thought he did alright on the right wing. Same for Anderson, full of promise and potential but yet to be fullfilled. For the records, he is not even on the bench today for crying out loud. JOS, like Fletcher, lacks any genuine quality too. And with Carrick out for 6 to 8 weeks, we are really found wanting in this key department.

And Berbatov was impressive in the start again, dropping back to chase some lost causes much to my pleasant surprise and even sliding into tackles on 2 or 3 occasions. Then he disappeared of course and started walking.

Rooney worked hard as usual and was seen all over the pitch, running and battling for the ball. But then again, familiar story, isn't it? Full marks for efforts and spirit but nothing much to report for end product.

Ronaldo came in too but could not do much while Tevez, our best forward this season, was on the bench and never came on. Why? Well, guess we better put in JOS instead to try our utmost best to cement a one-goal margin of course.....

I believe if we had truly wanted it and had the self-belief of a Double champions like we should, it would have been easily 6 points for us in the last 2 Big Four games. Instead, we only have a lousy one point.

But not to worry. It was not a defeat but only a draw and in fact we have done better than last season at the same venue. And although there are no longer 35 games left, there are still 34 more games to go. Besides the world is still revolving so it is definitely not the end of the world. And problems? Nah, what problems? They will disappear the next time you look.
Rooney's ball to Evra for the goal was a good end product. To be honest I can't be bothered arguing with you, it was a good performance and Rooney was one of our best players - you are clearly a fairweather fan who expects us to batter teams in every game.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
Wrong mather23, you have no clue.

Rooney was one of the worst players on the pitch.

How many times did rooney give the ball away?

The negatives far outway the positives, the only 3 good things I saw him do were these:

1 good pass to Evra
Tracked back twice.
vs
15x possesion loss
screaming at teammates when hes far worse
losing his temper, getting told by ferguson to calm down and then goes and gives away a free kick and gets booked. which leads to a goal

It's about time Rooney grew up, it seems him being young, having a reputation like he does, everyone hyping him up has gone to his head. Because of this he has the arrogance to shout at his teammates when he really needs to take a look at his own performance and previous performances this season.

321 - 340 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.