Manchester United Talk banner

Will Ronaldo Start Against Chelsea?

81 - 100 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Fergie taunts Chelsea: United's clashes with you can't match the 'history and quality

Fergie taunts Chelsea: United's clashes with you can't match the 'history and quality' of our Arsenal showdowns

Sir Alex Ferguson has taunted his opponents in Sunday's crunch Premier League clash at Stamford Bridge by insisting that Manchester United's matches with Chelsea will never carry as much meaning as those against Arsenal.

Just two days before the Red Devils face Luiz Felipe Scolari's in-form Blues at Stamford Bridge in a clash between most people's Barclays Premier League title favourites, Ferguson has stoked the fires by claiming Chelsea cannot match the 'history and quality' of their London rivals.

The United boss' claim may come as a surprise to the Chelsea hierarchy given it has been them who have fought United for the title for the previous four seasons - winning it for consecutive years in 2005 and 2006.

But speaking at the League Managers' Association's dinner for their Benevolent Trust and Community Fund at Wembley, Ferguson said: 'If you look back over the last 12 or 13 years, who has it been? - Arsenal v Manchester United, Manchester United v Arsenal. 'Of course we've got Chelsea at the moment, that's without question, but the history of Arsenal versus Manchester means that you're not just talking about winning a football match, you're talking about your own history against the other team's history.

'There's a dominance attached to that. You want to be the dominant team and they want to be the dominant team - and we've had some volatile matches because of that.

'But you can't beat the history and the quality that both teams believe in, and the way they want to play has never changed.'

Wenger agreed with his rival's assessment and claimed the Gunners' matches with United were always the acid test of his players.

'It is usually the decider of the season - big games that tell you a lot about your team. Will they be capable of winning the big matches?' he said.

'You go into the season with the feeling that you must win the big games, and the big game usually is Manchester United.'

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is the team i would like to see:

-------------------VDS

--Brown----Rio------Evans-----Evra

--Ronaldo--Hargo---Scholes--Fletcher

----------Berbatov----Rooney

I'd pick Evans because i think he has a lot of class and he's god enough.
Throw him in and he will be the better for it. Something to prove and young
and fearless. Plus Gary doesnt look to be back where he needs to be.

I think we need to have three strong across midfield. Ronaldo can be given
license to switch whenever he feels fit and to roam around and cause confusion.
Sit Fletcher in front of the back 4 and tell Hargo to get down the right when he
can.

I would really go with either Tevez or Rooney up front and i'm probably been
unfair puttin Rooney in ahead of Tevez on form so far this season but i really
wanna see Rooney play off Berbatov. I also think Tevez is more effective off the
bench than Rooney is.

I'd also like really to play Nani one wing and Ronaldo on the other. Thats
the way we traditionally play and my perfered way but for the day thats in it i
think midfield needs more steel. Chelsea have a seriously strong three in midfield
and we can't afford to be light there and get over run. So therefore i'd like
Fletcher to play along with Hargo to hold the centre most of the time while
Scholes pulls the strings and isn't forced to try and work to get the ball more than
gettin on it.

I honestly think we can beat Chelsea tomorrow. We are most dangerous when
we're down and being question. Fergie will drum it into the players tomorrow that
they have to prove why they are champions and plus there is nothing more we
would like than to stop the Chelsea home undefeated record.

So bring on tomorrow and lets rip into them!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Brown, Neville, R Da Silva, Ferdinand, Evans, O'Shea, Evra, F Da Silva, Ronaldo, Nani, Hargreaves, Anderson, Possebon, Fletcher, Scholes Park, Giggs, Tevez, Rooney, Berbatov, Manucho, Welbeck.

Thats the squad.

-----------------VDS------------

Brown-----Rio---------Evans---Evra

Ronaldo---Scholes---Ando----Nani

----------Tevez------Rooney---------

I would start Berba off the bench, I think Rooney and Tevez can play better against Chelski for some reason.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd be more than happy with a point from this one. I think must must put a solid midfield in place so Hargreaves plus Fletch/Anderson and Scholes and Ronaldo. Only 2 up, so bench Rooney, he's not on form and this is too big a game to have any but our best squad playing. Backs are hard to pick - do you put Evans in in sucha big game. If Wes in the middle then Neville on the right, and he's a shadow of the player he was before injury. Can't afford a weak link against Chelsea.

I have a feeling the Berbatov and Ronaldo will combine really well.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I think That We will start like so:

---------------------VDS---------------------
-Neville------Rio--------Brown-----Evra--
-Ronaldo---Anderson-Scholes---Nani--
--------------Rooney----Tevez-------------

·
Banned
9,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
The Irish Independant (Irish Newspaper) are suggesting that Chelsea will play
4/5/1 with a view to 4/3/3 and that United will play 4/3/3 with Ronaldo, Berbatov
and Tevez up front leaving Rooney on the bench...

·
Registered
43 Posts
RedMurph7 said:
This is the team i would like to see:

-------------------VDS

--Brown----Rio------Evans-----Evra

--Ronaldo--Hargo---Scholes--Fletcher

----------Berbatov----Rooney

I'd pick Evans because i think he has a lot of class and he's god enough.
Throw him in and he will be the better for it. Something to prove and young
and fearless. Plus Gary doesnt look to be back where he needs to be.

I think we need to have three strong across midfield. Ronaldo can be given
license to switch whenever he feels fit and to roam around and cause confusion.
Sit Fletcher in front of the back 4 and tell Hargo to get down the right when he
can.

I would really go with either Tevez or Rooney up front and i'm probably been
unfair puttin Rooney in ahead of Tevez on form so far this season but i really
wanna see Rooney play off Berbatov. I also think Tevez is more effective off the
bench than Rooney is.

I'd also like really to play Nani one wing and Ronaldo on the other. Thats
the way we traditionally play and my perfered way but for the day thats in it i
think midfield needs more steel. Chelsea have a seriously strong three in midfield
and we can't afford to be light there and get over run. So therefore i'd like
Fletcher to play along with Hargo to hold the centre most of the time while
Scholes pulls the strings and isn't forced to try and work to get the ball more than
gettin on it.

I honestly think we can beat Chelsea tomorrow. We are most dangerous when
we're down and being question. Fergie will drum it into the players tomorrow that
they have to prove why they are champions and plus there is nothing more we
would like than to stop the Chelsea home undefeated record.

So bring on tomorrow and lets rip into them!!
Whilst I'm liking that formation, I'd rather see Hargreaves on the right and Fletcher in the centre with Ronnie on the left. Hargo can do a sterling job playing out wide - as seen in the champs league final - and Ronaldo will be able to test Bosingwa's defensive abilities... I personally don't much rate him defensively, however good he is going forward.

Edit: just saw you did mention hargo going down the right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
my line up is :

------------------Edwin--------------------
Brown--------Rio-------Evans-----Evra
------------Hargo------scholes----------
----------------------------------Ande-----
Ronaldo-----------------------------------
---------------------------Rooney---------
-------------Berba-------------------------

I think this is the best line up, because chelsea play with strong 4 midfielders and Ande is better than nani (giggs) in defense midfielder.

I hope manutd win
I think the man of the match will be Ande

·
26,045 Posts
Fergie faces test of strength

Has Alex Ferguson lost his stomach for battle? Today's trip to Chelsea will reveal a lot....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/fergie-faces-test-of-strength-1479452.html

I see Arsenal came back from a goal down to win at Bolton. I see Liverpool coming back from an early setback to beat us....

What about us?!! So far not so good.

Well, the failure to 'turn up' for the Super Cup and the grudge match with Liverpool this season so far are becoming inexplicable and uncomfortable. We have to address that and address it fast.

·
Proto-Hipster
49,169 Posts
Sir Alex: Ron's the question

Dimitar Berbatov is fit for United's trip to Stamford Bridge, although Sir Alex admits he faces a selection dilemma when it comes to Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo played 28 minutes on Wednesday against Villarreal and the Reds boss told media on Friday he would have no fears in picking him in Sunday's side.

“He's a natural athlete,†Sir Alex said. “He's trained very well and I'd have no problems at all playing him on Sunday. I just have to decide if it's the right time.

“I think he did very well on Wednesday night. He was aggressive in his running and was a good threat.

"When Ronaldo's really buzzing he wants the ball and he attacks defenders straight away with such speed that they're forced to back off. That was the case on Wednesday.

"He was on fire and really revved up to perform well. That surprised me given he's had an operation and he's been in rehabilitation for the last two months and hadn't played since 21 May. It was a big ask but you have to say his performance was outstanding.

“The boy wants to play at Chelsea – he's been in my ear the whole time. I just hope I pick the right team."

Everybody else came through Wednesday's game unscathed, with Sir Alex confirming the only absentees for Sunday will be Michael Carrick (ankle) and Nemanja Vidic (suspended).

The manager admitted losing to Liverpool last weekend was “a disappointing result†and underlined Sunday's trip to Stamford Bridge was a must-win.

“When you play against the big four it's important you get a big points-haul out of
them. Last season we did very well against the top four. This season we've lost the first one already [at Anfield]. We can't afford to lose another one.â€

Despite a slow start to the season, Sir Alex insisted there is no need for panic just yet.

"I don't see Sunday's game as a test of character for my team. That's been well established already – there are no doubts in that department.

"What this team has to do, like many Manchester United teams have done over the years, is recover from a bad defeat. We've got to make sure we come away from Chelsea with a win.

"It's a great challenge to us and a lot of people don't expect us to win, which is unusual for this club. That's the challenge: let's get on with it."

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Tevez: We'll Show Them Why We're Champions

The Red Devils have recorded just four points out of a possible nine thus far in the Premier League, with just one win from their opening six matches overall. To make matters worse, Chelsea are already firing on all cylinders and are going to be the team to beat in England on early evidence.

"OK, so we have not started as well as we would have liked, but that will all change this Sunday," Tevez told the Daily Star.

"At Stamford Bridge the real champions will be on show. We all know that Chelsea are out for revenge for what happened in Moscow, but that will cause some anxiety for them.

Should Chelsea get the better of the reigning champions on Sunday, like Liverpool did last weekend, then the Stamford Bridge side will stretch their lead over United to nine points, and the Red Devils will be languishing in the lower reaches of the bottom half of the table. The Argentine striker is having none of it though.

"They will see a reaction from United this weekend. We are not champions for nothing. The match in London is important, but it is not decisive. The winner will receive a huge boost, but that will be it."

United have an ace up his sleeve in the form of fit-again Ronaldo, who played his first game of the season against Villarreal on Wednesday. And Tevez believes the Portuguese winger will prove his worth with a stand-out performance against the Pensioners.

"The return of Ronaldo is crucial for us and is a problem for Chelsea," Tevez added. "The Blues defence will need to take so much care with him that he creates space for everybody else.

"He gives us so much more power in attack. If Chelsea already think they are on their way to winning the title, they are mistaken."

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Ronaldo And Berbs Don't Worry Terry

The clubs go head-to-head this afternoon with both Ronaldo and Berbatov expected to play, following recent injuries. Terry admitted it was a game the champions can not afford to lose having suffered a slow start to their season.

Speaking to the Sunday Mirror, the skipper said: “It's a must-win game for them, but a good time for us to be facing them in the form we are in. They certainly can’t afford to lose this one and allow us to open up a substantial lead on them even at this early stage.”

A win for the Blues today would see them open up a nine point lead over the Red Devils and Terry admitted that he believed such a lead would be difficult for United to close, even at this early stage. The defender explained: “If you're the team in front and you keep winning its difficult for anyone to catch you."

With United in search of points manager Sir Alex Ferguson is likely to hand Ronaldo a start after his return from surgery.

Yet Terry claimed that the Portugese international did not worry him and tipped Ashley Cole to get the better of the winger. He revealed: “Our manager knows Ronaldo very well. And Ashley Cole always seems to do very well against him. Ronaldo doesn't play that well when he's facing Ashley at the top of his game. So were hoping that Ashley nullifies the threat of Ronaldo.”

Berbatov Goes Missing

The England skipper also confessed that he was not worried by the potential presence of new signing Dimitar Berbatov who United signed from Tottenham Hotspur over the summer for £30 million.

“Berbatov is a world-class player,” admitted the centre back before continuing, “It's up to Ricky Carvalho and me to stop him, but Berbatov can disappear from games at times. If we can shield him out of the match it is bound to be to our advantage.”

The Chelsea captain is clearly relishing the fixture, especially after the Champions League final which saw United beat Chelsea on penalties with Terry missing a vital kick.

However, he appears to have put that experience behind him. He admitted: “But although you can never forget what happened, as far as I'm concerned it's all in the past now and you have to move on.”

Terry also revealed that he believed that the new signings the club had brought in this summer had improved the club and would hopefully help them go one better this year.

“We've got a lot more goals in us this year Jose Bosingwa gives us something different going forward, and defensively he’s great as well,” said the England captain before concluding, “I think the manager made some clever signings in the summer and I think hes dealt well with players who have been here for a couple of years and lifted their confidence.”

81 - 100 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.