Manchester United Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Man United (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Pique, Evans, Ronaldo, Hargreaves, Scholes, Carrick, Eagles, Anderson, Nani, Giggs, Rooney, Tevez, Saha

Manchester United may recall fit-again Owen Hargreaves, who may fill one of the places on the substitute's bench.

Skipper Gary Neville is pencilled in for a reserve-team outing against Liverpool within the next fortnight, so he is still missing.

Sir Alex Ferguson plots tactics against one of his former players, not for the first time this season. He'll be hoping for three points against Steve Bruce's Birmingham, 28 days after gaining three over Roy Keane's Sunderland.

Both clubs return to league business after midweek defeats in the Carling Cup. Birmingham's was 3-0 at Blackburn; United's more of a shock, as a young inexperienced line-up were defeated 0-2, home to Championship Coventry.

United are chasing a fifth successive league win and clean sheet, and could go to the top of the table.

Birmingham have won half as many league games as the Red Devils, but scored one more goal.

The Midlanders have won one, drawn one and lost one of their three home Premier League matches, scoring three goals and conceding three; United have won one, drawn one and lost one of their three away Premier League matches, scoring two goals and conceding two.

It's 29 years since Birmingham last beat Manchester United. They've drawn six and lost 12 league games against them since an emphatic 5-1 top-flight victory on 11 November 1978, when Kevin Dillon, Alan Buckley (two), Don Givens and Jimmy Calderwood were their scorers.

This is the Brummies' third of seven consecutive league fixtures against north-west opposition. One of only two defeats in 11 Premier League games against north-west clubs was 3-0 away to Manchester United on 26 March 2006.

MANCHESTER UNITED

Club stats
Fixtures
1. Wednesday's defeat to the Sky Blues ended a five-match winning sequence in league and cup, in which no goals were conceded.

2. On their longest winning sequence in the Premier League, since completing seven in a row on 31 March.

3. Not conceded in 419 minutes (six hours 59 minutes) of Premier League football since Geovanni scored the winner for Manchester City on 19 August.

4. Sunday's 2-0 win over Chelsea is the only time in 15 league and cup games more than a single goal has been scored in a match.

5. The fourth lowest scorers in the Premier League; just six goals in seven matches. Their Premier League matches have yielded fewer goals than any other club - just eight (six for, two against).

6. Keep more Premier League clean sheets than any other club (five).

7. Boasting the joint meanest defence in the Premier League with Liverpool. Both clubs have leaked just two goals, at one every 315 minutes (five hours 15 minutes) on average. Not conceded a single goal in the first and last half hours of any Premier League match so far this season.

8. On the longest current run in the Premier League of 47 matches since losing by more than a single goal; the 3-0 reverse by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on 29 April 2006.

9. Lost one of the last six away Premier League matches; the 1-0 defeat by Manchester City on 19 August.

10. This match precedes Tuesday's Champions League Group F home tie against AS Roma.

MANCHESTER UNITED

Louis SAHA is the only Manchester United player to have scored more than a single goal.

Edwin VAN DER SAR leads the race for the Barclays Golden Glove, with five clean sheets.

Wayne ROONEY has scored in each of the last three Premier League matches against Birmingham.

Ryan GIGGS is a double short of 100 career League goals.

If on the field from the outset:-

GIGGS will be making his 450th career league start - all for United.

Cristiano RONALDO will be making his 100th Premier League start for the Old Trafford club.

Chris EAGLES will be making his 50th English league start (Manchester United, Watford and Sheffield Wednesday).

Gary NEVILLE will be making his 350th Premier League start - all for the Red Devils.

If he plays:-

Michael CARRICK will be facing the club where he was on loan for a month in 2000.
Manchester United have won all their home Premier League matches against Birmingham, in addition to the first two at St Andrews. But the last two corresponding fixtures have been drawn.

Home and away
League (inc PL): Birm'ghm 24 wins, Man United 39, Draws 25
Prem: Birmingham 0 wins, Man United 6, Draws 2

at Birmingham only
League (inc PL): Birm'ghm 15 wins, Man United 12, Draws 17
Prem: Birmingham 0 wins, Man United 2, Draws 2

·
Registered
265 Posts
vds

brown ferdinand vidic evra

ronaldo hargreaves giggs

tevez rooney​

id start with those 2 up front again to give the partnership more time to evolve.
i wouldnt say im an idiot for choosing those 2 to start together aswell!
but id also be happy for saha to start aswell,as hes a good option-hoping for a great win/performance.

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Ah I see someone change name of this post to correct one !!!!

Who ever starts these try to keep name to same format all the time - dont know why its just annoying if it is changed around all the time, lol.

Women huh...............bloody fussy nagging but you love us really :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah we love you! lol

anyway hoping for a good win today. I'd play Rooney and Tevez upfront so they can get to polish their partnership up a bit.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Thomas G said:
Van Der Sar

Brown - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra

Ronaldo - Scholes - Hargreaves - Giggs

Rooney - Saha

Subs: Kuszcak - O'Shea - Carrick - Nani - Tevez
I hope thats the team but i reckon SAF might start Tevez upfront with Rooney again....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think Saha and Rooney should start...
in the game against chelski I noticed that Rooney just didnt know what he was supposed to do.. and that's because, again, he's not a central stiker..
and the goal was scored, again, with a header after a cross from the side..

so I say SAF should start Saha with either Rooney or Tevez..

·
Registered
128 Posts
6 straight wins in all competitions (apart from Carling Cup)

7 goals scored
0 goals conceded

Glory Glory Man United

Its good that we are grinding out wins right now, these wins are just raising our confidence and when everyone gels into the team and everything clicks we will be unstoppable.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
there is something up with giggsy ability to see in space now. i hope that the clock
hasnt caught up with him, but his passing isnt sharp at all this year and i wonder if he doesnt start after this game ,if that would actually wake him up or help?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Does anyone know the extent of VDS' injury? I haven't seen anything so assume it's nothing serious.

I just got to see the game. Fortunately we were able to step it up the 2nd half. We played like shite in the first :(

And I hate to say it, but I agree with you on Giggs. Carrick has impressed me more times than our Giggsy.

Not that it's a bad thing, just a bit shocking to me

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.