Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plastination is a technique used in anatomy to preserve bodies or body parts. The water and fat are replaced by certain plastics, yielding specimens that can be touched, do not smell or decay, and even retain most microscopic properties of the original sample.


In November of 1978 Dr. Gunther von Hagens applied for a US Patent. He proposed the idea of preserving animal and vegetable tissues permanently by synthetic resin impregnation. Since then Dr. von Hagens has applied for two more US Patents. The final one coming in May of 1982 when Dr. von Hagens received a Patent by the United States government for his work on preserving biological tissues with polymers. Since then the art form know as Plastination has been an ongoing battle of art vs. ethics. With the success of his Patents, von Hagens went on to form the Institute of Plastination in Heidelberg, Germany in 1993. The Institute of Plastination, along with Dr. von Hagens made their first showing of plastinated bodies in Japan in 1995, which drew over three million people (Barboza 3).

I heard about plastination on the news not too long ago - would you want to do it when you 'pop your clogges"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They plastinate your body when you die and then you are preserved, they also dissect you. Only with your permission, before you die!!! Then you are put into a museum and any left overs are sent off for Medical studies.

I hope it is around when I die, I want to join!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Anderson's God said:
What a shame great life experience !!!
great life experience??? u wont be experiencing anything if ur dead...hehehe
i'd rather have my body buried just like they did it for thousands of year...
wat a time we have come to...even the dead are not respected anymore :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a joke!!

They are respected - when it is that person making the decision before you die. You are being put to use. I'd rather be used for future generations and Medical studies than lie in a coffin for the next years personally!
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Anderson's God said:
They plastinate your body when you die and then you are preserved, they also dissect you. Only with your permission, before you die!!! Then you are put into a museum and any left overs are sent off for Medical studies.

I hope it is around when I die, I want to join!!
Dont care what they do with my body when i die. Put me in a bin bag and chuck it in a landfill will do me.

But i would be VERY worried about the highlighted part if i went for the above. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SALFORD RED said:
Dont care what they do with my body when i die. Put me in a bin bag and chuck it in a landfill will do me.

But i would be VERY worried about the highlighted part if i went for the above. :eek:

O sorry :D, I see what you mean SR. You give them permission before you die, so that when you die your body can be plastinated but in order to do this they have to dissect you when you are dead and then proceed with the plastination. Your parts from the internal end are used for Medical studies all over the world.

Thats an attitude!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
I would rather just live forever :)

But honestly, I'm an organ donor. I would rather someone get my leftovers to have a chance at life. Why should someone have to suffer (or even die) while parts of me just sit and rot (or get thumped at by some guy in a white coat)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PrinceZane said:
I would rather just live forever :)

But honestly, I'm an organ donor. I would rather someone get my leftovers to have a chance at life. Why should someone have to suffer (or even die) while parts of me just sit and rot (or get thumped at by some guy in a white coat)[/QUOTE]


Charming! Its funny when you put it like that. Thats the thing Zane they don't rot, the 'parts' are put to use!! Mainly for Medical Science.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I am from Melbourne Australia, and we have the human body exhibition here at the moment. I actually went yesterday and saw all the plastinated bodies. Its an amazing exhibition, they have the real bodies just standing there and they are positioned so they stand on their own.
Our bodies are absolutely amazing in every way. Some bodies have the organs showing, some the nervous system, brain, cross sections of whole bodies, and parts of bodies. Quite amazing to see and you need time to actually take it all in.
Looking at them leaves you with mixed feelings, part of you feels there is something really not natural about it, not quite right. Another part of you wants to see more. One thing for sure is you will never look at a person the same way again!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,423 Posts
cantona said:
I am from Melbourne Australia, and we have the human body exhibition here at the moment. I actually went yesterday and saw all the plastinated bodies. Its an amazing exhibition, they have the real bodies just standing there and they are positioned so they stand on their own.
Our bodies are absolutely amazing in every way. Some bodies have the organs showing, some the nervous system, brain, cross sections of whole bodies, and parts of bodies. Quite amazing to see and you need time to actually take it all in.
Looking at them leaves you with mixed feelings, part of you feels there is something really not natural about it, not quite right. Another part of you wants to see more. One thing for sure is you will never look at a person the same way again!!
sounds like a cannibal's paradise :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cantona said:
I am from Melbourne Australia, and we have the human body exhibition here at the moment. I actually went yesterday and saw all the plastinated bodies. Its an amazing exhibition, they have the real bodies just standing there and they are positioned so they stand on their own.
Our bodies are absolutely amazing in every way. Some bodies have the organs showing, some the nervous system, brain, cross sections of whole bodies, and parts of bodies. Quite amazing to see and you need time to actually take it all in.
Looking at them leaves you with mixed feelings, part of you feels there is something really not natural about it, not quite right. Another part of you wants to see more. One thing for sure is you will never look at a person the same way again!!

Yep life after death does exist!!
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top