Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torres or Ronaldo?

The Daily Star's chief football writer Danny Fullbrook believes Liverpool's Fernando Torres should be the footballer of the year, not Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7341956.stm

Who do you people think deserve player of the year? I thought Ronaldo will win it with no questions asked! I mean 37 goals and still counting from MIDFIELD!! He broke Best's record and is the best player in the world at the moment! Most prob everyone here will say Ronaldo because we are all biased but seriously how can Torres get it when he dissapears when playing a world class defence and always seems to get lost in Rio's pocket (and NO 10 men Inter is not world class and my cat could dribble both Ben Haim and Sendaros lol) Torres 'i am only world class vs derby, west ham and boro' imo should not get it even though he has done well adapting to the EPL in his first season and in the CL too but it is like Ronaldo and Drogba last season really :cool:

·
Registered
915 Posts
The Daily Star's chief football writer Danny Fullbrook is talking out of his back passage! I appreciate that he is entitled to his opinion but he is wrong.

I think he was quite obviously intoxicated when he wrote that piece :D

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
Torres still has a chance of winning it if he scores winners in the Champions League semi's and final but at the moment it has to be Ronaldo.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
From BBC Sport...

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo leads the nominations for the Professional Footballers' Association players' player of the year.

The Portuguese international, 23, who has scored a phenomenal 37 goals this season, also won the award last term.

Arsenal pair Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Adebayor are also up for the prize, along with Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres.

The final nominee is Portsmouth's England goalkeeper David James.

Ronaldo, Fabregas and Torres are also in the running to be the PFA young player of the year - a title which Ronaldo also walked away with last season.

They are joined by Aston Villa duo Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ashley Young and Manchester City's England defender Micah Richards.

They might give Torres young player of the year but I reckon Ronaldo will walk away with both again.

Shame for Rooney that he hasn't been nominated but hopefully it'll spur him on to compete for it next season.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cant see it even being a contest and for all we know Torres could turn out to be a one season wonder(Hopefully) Ronaldo all day long in what has been a phenomenal season so far

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Red Devil said:
Torres has had a good season, but nothing major. OK he has scored goals but thats his job. Ronaldo does it in STYLE.
Torres has got so many goals for one simple reason ...

He is the only one at Liverpool who has this abiltiy, lol ...

Take away his 29 goals and they wont have a lot to show for this year ...

Whereas Ronaldo scores 37 - we also have Rooney and Tevez helping out with 30+ too.

Oh how Liverpool must wish they were more than a one man team ... ;)

PFA Player Of The Year ...

Safest bet I ever seen ...

RONALDO !!!

·
23,699 Posts
Ronaldo sets new standard

Portuguese hot favourite to retain players' crown

Source: Mark Buckingham/Sky Sports, 11th April 2008

Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo must be a warm favourite to retain his PFA Player of the Year title following an incredible season, not just by the Portuguese's standards, but by anyone's.

To date, Ronaldo has scored 37 goals in 41 appearances for United in all competitions and has surpassed George Best's club record for goals in a season by a winger.

Ronaldo had a relatively slow start to the campaign, failing to score in his first three appearances and also being sent-off for a butt on Richard Hughes in a 1-1 draw at Portsmouth.

His first goal of the season came against his former club Sporting Lisbon when Ronaldo's stooping header got United's UEFA Champions League campaign off to the perfect start.

That was one of nine occasions when Ronaldo has scored the only goals in wins for United and he also weighed in with his first hat-trick in the 6-0 thrashing of Newcastle in January.

He has continued to dazzle with his fancy footwork, which also never ceases to infuriate his opponents or opposition fans, but if he keeps the ball and United are winning, where's the harm?

People pay to be entertained and, for all of his past indiscretions, Ronaldo is certainly one of the Premier League's great entertainers and should be commended for sticking to his own unique style.

One criticism which has been levelled against Ronaldo in the past has been the fact he often went missing in big games and it is true he was quiet in the second leg of last season's Champions League semi-final against Milan and also the FA Cup final against Chelsea.

But this time around, he is starting to rise to the challenge of the big occasion, scoring at Arsenal, at home to Liverpool and heading the crucial opening goal in the Champions League quarter-final against Roma.

His form and well-being remain crucial to United's chances of success this season and, while the other five contenders have sound arguments for dethroning Ronaldo, none are as persuasive as the current holder's.

He is the top scorer in the Premier League and the Champions League and, given that he has clearly improved from last year, it seems unthinkable that he will not be Player of the Year again.

THE NOMINEES

Players' Player of the Year
Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)
Fernando Torres (Liverpool)
David James (Portsmouth)
Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

Young Player of the Year
Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)
Fernando Torres (Liverpool)
David James (Portsmouth)
Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)

Gordon Taylor's verdict

The debate about whether he's as good as George Best will go on and on, but for him to have broken George's goalscoring record from a wide position is phenomenal - as are those incredible free kicks he practices tirelessly.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
versa said:
To date, Ronaldo has scored 37 goals in 41 appearances .
I still have to rub my eyes and look again ...

Just to make sure this figure of 37 in 41 games is true ...

This is almost a miracle Ronaldo performs this season ... :eek:

versa said:
The debate about whether he's as good as George Best will go on and on, but for him to have broken George's goalscoring record from a wide position is phenomenal - as are those incredible free kicks he practices tirelessly.
If he could just put in some brilliant displays in big time games ...

Then I would compare him seriously with Best ...

But until then the George Best fans can all argue a very good case for George to
still be regarded better.

·
23,699 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
I still have to rub my eyes and look again ...

Just to make sure this figure of 37 in 41 games is true ...

This is almost a miracle Ronaldo performs this season ... :eek:

Er..... Unless Mr Buckingham was drinking with Zuco? :D :D

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
what has gerrard done this season, sweet fa ??? :S and anderson not even in young player on the year nominees
rio should also be in the nominees for player of the season, it's a joke

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
sparkic said:
The Daily Star's chief football writer Danny Fullbrook believes Liverpool's Fernando Torres should be the footballer of the year, not Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo.
Was that claim made on April 1st by any chance?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Is there even a debate?

Did some journalist somewhere decide that he had to write something because there was not enough news even with the UEFA Cup matches.

There is no contest. I like Fernando Torres a lot, but there can only be one serious contender for the title of player of the year this season and that is
Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro!​

Anderson to beat Fabregas to the young player of the year award, if he does well for the remainder of the season

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Anderson to beat Fabregas to the young player of the year award, if he does well for the remainder of the season
He hasn't been nominated.

Ronaldo, Fabregas, Torres, Micah Richards, Ashley Young & Agbonlahor are the nominees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ronaldo is class he is the best in the world i think Torres is good but is there any point disscussing this we have all known from august that Ronaldo is the best in the leauge Fabregas is nowhere near Ronaldo.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts