Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starting with the 60's havent seen enough footage from the 50's even though it would be duncan edwards..havent seen enough of eveyone else to make a fair decision so i'll start 60's.

60s - Bobby Charlton
70s - Lou Macari
80s - Captain Marvel
90s - Giggsy
00s- Scholesy

any other offers???

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering I was born in the 80s I'd be an idiot
if I were to talk about players from the 60s and 70s.

what dedication?? if you have any interest in united there are books, dvds etc ways of discovering the past end appreciating who the players were and what they did. sadly your response is typical of all too many so called people these days who jump on a bandwagon they know very little about.

many reds know their history,know their past heroes.....

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Considering I was born in the 80s I'd be an idiot
if I were to talk about players from the 60s and 70s.
Had you down as a bit older.....Kinda makes more sense now :whistling:

Oh and what Scott said>>>>

what dedication?? if you have any interest in united there are books, dvds etc ways of discovering the past end appreciating who the players were and what they did. sadly your response is typical of all too many so called people these days who jump on a bandwagon they know very little about.

My list:

60's- Bobby Charlton. (close call with Best and Law)
70's- Martin Buchan.
80's- Robbo by a country mile.
90's- Keane then Cantona then Giggs.
00's- Keane then Scholes.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts

OK, so watching DVDs and reading books I can find
out that, say, George Best was better than Denis Law.
You can't. You would have needed to live through a period
to decide who was better. I hate it when I see people
talking about how good Duncan Edwards, judging on
the basis of testimony. This isn't history which you can
read about, let's say United played 50 games a year,
that's 500 games in 10 years, that's 45 000 minutes of
Football in the 60s alone, you will have watched 100
minutes at best.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so watching DVDs and reading books I can find
out that, say, George Best was better than Denis Law.
You can't. You would have needed to live through a period
to decide who was better. I hate it when I see people
talking about how good Duncan Edwards, judging on
the basis of testimony. This isn't history which you can
read about, let's say United played 50 games a year,
that's 500 games in 10 years, that's 45 000 minutes of
Football in the 60s alone, you will have watched 100
minutes at best.

lol you can get more than 100 mins on the 68 final dvd....there loads of footage of the 60's more than you'd ever imagine plus there are books etc or people you chat to at games .

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
lol you can get more than 100 mins on the 68 final dvd....there loads of footage of the 60's more than you'd ever imagine plus there are books etc or people you chat to at games .
Exactly, it's not a first hand opinion, you're still judging
players of the 60s on the basis of other people's opinions.

I've read a lot about players of the 60s and I have quite
a few Man Utd. DVDs, but I would never feel capable o
deciding who was the best players from those eras.

My list?
90s - Ryan Giggs.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Nobody included Cantona for the 90s? Shocking!

For me:

60s Best/Charlton
70s Macari
80s Robbo
90s Cantona
00s Toughest one - probably Keano or Scholes

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Cantona was the catalyst for everything, the ultimate Old Trafford hero.
He was a catalyst for so much, but without the drive, passion and determination of Keane, United wouldnt have own as many trophies. Fact! Keane took over from Cantona and led the team in a different way. Not much between them though, my 2 all time favourite United players. Can you guess who is my number 1?:D and no its the not the man in my avatar :p

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
He was a catalyst for so much, but without the drive, passion and determination of Keane, United wouldnt have own as many trophies. Fact! Keane took over from Cantona and led the team in a different way. Not much between them though, my 2 all time favourite United players. Can you guess who is my number 1?:D and no its the not the man in my avatar :p
Yeah I agree, there really isn't much between them.

Just for me Cantona is and always will be my ultimate hero, and my favourite player.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Get in there Jazz :first:

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
60s - Georgie Best
70s - Lou Macari
80s - Robbo
90s - Cantona
00s- Scholes

How anybody doesn't pick Best is beyond me, i honestly put him in the top 3 best players ever to grace the game, if wasn't for drink and maybe a bigger national team maybe the world would be still talking about this legend like they do with Pele and Maradona.

The 90's and 00's were toughies, Keane ran Cantona all the way but i just went with The King.
The 00's was close, no stand out players that played well over the whole decade...... Scholes just gets it.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
60s - Georgie Best
70s - Lou Macari
80s - Robbo
90s - Cantona
00s- Scholes

How anybody doesn't pick Best is beyond me, i honestly put him in the top 3 best players ever to grace the game, if wasn't for drink and maybe a bigger national team maybe the world would be still talking about this legend like they do with Pele and Maradona.

The 90's and 00's were toughies, Keane ran Cantona all the way but i just went with The King.
The 00's was close, no stand out players that played well over the whole decade...... Scholes just gets it.
Best selection so far, would have to agree with you 100%

I fully agree that had Best been given the nececary protection from his lifestyle, and played for Argentina or Brazil, he would be regarded along side Pele and Maradonna.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Yeah yeah you Irish boys are just biased ;)
No honsestly, it was very tough between Cantana and Keane. Maybe if i was asked tomorrow i would pick Keane ahead of the King...... that's how close it was.

There is nothing biased when it comes to Keane, he's the greatest leader of men since Marcus Aurelius:D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts