Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
starting with the 60's havent seen enough footage from the 50's even though it would be duncan edwards..havent seen enough of eveyone else to make a fair decision so i'll start 60's.

60s - Bobby Charlton
70s - Lou Macari
80s - Captain Marvel
90s - Giggsy
00s- Scholesy

any other offers???

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Considering I was born in the 80s I'd be an idiot
if I were to talk about players from the 60s and 70s.

what dedication?? if you have any interest in united there are books, dvds etc ways of discovering the past end appreciating who the players were and what they did. sadly your response is typical of all too many so called people these days who jump on a bandwagon they know very little about.

many reds know their history,know their past heroes.....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so watching DVDs and reading books I can find
out that, say, George Best was better than Denis Law.
You can't. You would have needed to live through a period
to decide who was better. I hate it when I see people
talking about how good Duncan Edwards, judging on
the basis of testimony. This isn't history which you can
read about, let's say United played 50 games a year,
that's 500 games in 10 years, that's 45 000 minutes of
Football in the 60s alone, you will have watched 100
minutes at best.

lol you can get more than 100 mins on the 68 final dvd....there loads of footage of the 60's more than you'd ever imagine plus there are books etc or people you chat to at games .

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
you have got to be joking , his spell at united was when he was over the hill he hardly had a good game for us , had we had him 10 years earlier it would have been a different story
i wasnt the biggest barnsy fan either sadly to say, he was one of the what could have been type players

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You may notice that I didnt say Peter Barnes was the best, or anything close to it, merely that as a kid (a 12-yo at the time) he was my favourite - the player I pretended to be whilst kicking about in the park. Whilst I may not of been brain of Britain at 12, I certainly wasnt a thicko either, but at 12 that didnt give me the ability to quantify whether someone was indeed a legend, greatest player of all time, or whether in fact he was a one game dud (it was only 10-mins on Match of the Day and FA Cup games on telly I had to go on) 10-years past his sell-by-date. It is however a shame his best playing days were in the blue of Man Chitty.

Not many mentions of Coppell I notice, real shame his playing carear was cut short by injury, a genuine classy player.
coppell was a great player actually was thinking about him after i'd already put mine up.

agree with your point about your favourite or best player not nescessarily been everyones cup of tea, as we all like have heroes when we first start goin and they aren't always the greatest pleyes or whatever. i can imagine in 15 years time people picking peeps from this decade and lots of people going for the obvious ronaldo or rooney, whereas players like evra even park may be peoples personal favourites at the time. so i can see where your coming from with that one :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts